Used 2001 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Very Reliable
By amby

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango since August 2001 and have had nothing but good luck with it. I use it for running around town and long trips. I have had 5 adults with 2 sets of golf clubs and all the luggage for a two week holiday in the vehicle, and there is still room to spare. It runs well and has not caused me any major repairs.

My favorite feature is the design of the vehicle. It looks good and looks like an SUV should look

None that I can think of. It is well made.

It was for the wife, but...
By EMRMAN

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it for my wife as our family car in lieu of a van. I drive it more than her. I have a Crown Vic for my daily driver but the Durango is much more fun to drive. Love the power and sound. It hauls the 21 foot inboard better than my father's new Chevy truck. I knew gas mileage would stink, but what can you expect from an SUV? We owned a V6 Chevy Blazer which did just slightly better in gas mileage, but it was the worst vehicle I have ever owned, always in the shop. Family members with TrailBlazers and Envoy's love the Durango's looks and powers.

The power, the look, the sound, the options.

The steering control while going over large bumps. The one piece tailgate. Gas mileage of course, but if I were getting 25 MPG, I would still want more.

5 yr love affair with Durango
By Wayne

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This was our second Durango. We enjoy fishing and in 96, finally bought a boat. Did a lot of research on SUV tow packages. It paid off. The 5.9 w/tow package is great. You have to remind yourself that a boat is in back of you! We're able to stay cool and tow without a worry. Looked forward to lousy back roads at remote fish camps. The 4WD is there when YOU WANT IT. Plus "the little things". Rear accessory plug. Use it for tailgate party or light up a boat ramp at night. Cup holders for American size drinks! Great tunes. Cool rims. Runs on reg gas. Seat warmers. Just the right size to give it a quick wash yourself. Just plain comfortable.

Factory tow package. Front/rear heat & air controls. On demand 4 wheel drive. Controls on BOTH front seats.

Slightly wider wheel base. Interior display for tire pressures. Hands free telephone package.

Reliable Durango without hemi
By M1a1commander

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this Durango the week before 9-11-01. I put 24,000 miles the first 2 years. The vehicle did not have any issues the first 3 years. I did get 17-19 MPG on the highway. The cloth interior is better and longer lasting than the leather. The price of the Durango Sport was the best deal compared to the Ford Explorer Sport. I paid $21,000 for it new. Now, in Dec, 2005 The only issue I had was replacing the front wheel bearings. The clunking I heard was not the ball-joint issue I had received as a possible recall item. The Durango continues to have great overall reliability. I like the style better than the fatter Durango. Why get a hemi if it weighs 500 lbs more?

Great styling, roomy, lots of cargo area. Decent Standard Stereo. Great heater. I liked that the rear windows are all tinted and that heated rear glass with wiper are standard. This is the cheapest SUV with full features. All SUV are $5000 overpriced. SUV makers make a killing on overpriced SUVs

I am happy with the price I paid for it. The improvements such as a CD player standard can be compensated by using an MP3 player with a cassette adapter is much cheaper than installing a CD changer in the back. Painting the rear brake drums. rust made the rear wheel become rusted to the brake drum

Love the way it handles
By E Stewart

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great overall vehicle. Not too wild about the looks but it drives like a champ. Handles easy, very fun to drive, with plenty of room for everyone. Has been an extremely reliable vehicle but I hear unexplained noises from time to time. I would highly recommend vehicle.

Superb Handling