Used 2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:

Horrible rental!!!
By BunyLuvr

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

UGH! I rented this car on a trip recently and chose it because I love small hatchbacks; I drive a 2008 VW Rabbit at home. My college-age son, who couldn't care less about cars, immediately noticed the poor quality interior compared to our Rabbit. "Is this an American car?" he asked - and I doubt he would not say that about a newer Ford. Driving this thing is not pleasurable after driving German cars, either. It's just adequately powered, and the steering is not responsive at all. The car gets points for exterior styling, and I assume it's fairly reliable, but if you're looking for a small hatch, check out the Mazda3, new Golfs, Honda Fit, etc. before saddling yourself with this blah-burger

Exterior styling is very nice. Ever since the model came out I've liked the looks of it.

Improve cabin materials. They are seriously shoddy compared to other vehicles in this class which I drove when shopping for a small hatchback. Needs more power. Seating very awkward/uncomfortable.

6000 Miles No Problems - Like the Car
By Charles

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the SE trim with automatic CVT and 2.0 motor. I like the car. Best feature is the high seats. Worst feature is the right side mirror. I had to buy a small round mirror to correct the blind spot. On the highway I hit 70-80+ mph and the car handles well. I like the way CVT as it does not shift, it provides constant acceleration. When it was new, it took about 50 miles to start driving well. It just seemed like the car needed a break in period. I did not purchase the lifetime warranty as the power train is covered for life time of the original owner. I did a great deal of research on the problems with the Caliber. It seems the 2007... continued...

It seems the 2007 year models had a number of issues. My 2009 runs well and I have had NO issues with the car. I am happy and recommend the car. My wife bought a 2009 Pontiac Vibe and I like to drive the Caliber over the Vibe / Matrix.

May be better, but not for the price
By demonic_celery

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon R/T 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a brand new R/T almost 6 months ago with leather package, sunroof, 6CD changer with 9 speakers(2 of which drop down from hatch door) and a year of sirius and a chrome package for under $20k. Getting ~28mpg. I did look at many other hatchbacks, and there are a few better out there, but you will pay a premium for a "better" new one than this. And buying new, having a LIFETIME powertain warranty, come one, VALUE. Alot of consumers don't seem to quite realize what a lifetime powertrain warranty means for value, if you take care of everything else, you can drive this for decades. I have seen the touchscreen in action for the stereo with bluetooth, and plan on upgrading to that in time.

Lifetime Warrenty! Stereo System. Completely adjustable height and lumbar seating. Great safety rankings. Lots of storage room, quick. The metallic paint that shines brightly even when filthy, and when cleaned and chrome shined, you sometimes have to look away (I have black). Drink Storage.

Acceleration between 0-40. System readout, autodim mirror, and Uconnect bluetooth should be a cheaper add-on. An AWD/FWD on the fly option like other hatches. Adjustable (not just fold down) backseating.

There are better hatches
By himoses

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have now had the displeasure of driving the Caliber. This is not a bad car compared to garbage made in the 1980’s, but is far inferior to a lot of hatches on the market. This car drives like a brick. If you get a good deal, then I could see this being a decent commuter car if you only drive on the highway. If you like to drive, find something else. My personal affordable favorite hatches are the Hyundai Elantra Touring and the Mazda 3. This car is not in either of these car’s league.

Higher seating position on the road. Low cabin noise and decent suspension.

Poor acceleration. Transmission shifts roughly. Gas mileage is subpar. Very boisterous, whiney engine if you push it. Ugly car. Lots of body roll in cornering. Poor handling.

love this car
By monana

2009 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

dodge needs to learn how to market their cars. tested toyota matrix and pontiac vibe. this car far superior in style, comfort, interior room and price. love it!

interior room and comfort