Used 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

Very Disappointed
By Mom buying for daughter

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a 2006 Touring PT Cruiser last March. It has had nothing but constant repair. Radiator fan, then the radiator, then hoses, then control arm and bearing - now rear sway bar. I swear, we've paid more in repairs at this point than we paid for the car. So very disappointed!

Drive a PT
By Madge

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Resale value is poor.

A early Christmas gift to myself.
By V.White

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got a used 2006 Pt crusier on Dec.5th of this year. It was very clean and only had 48000 mi. I just loved it . Then on the 11th of Dec. I started to hear a noise in the front end and the engine was shaking so, I figured I would have it looked at when I got my next check. Well every day it would start out ok but after the 3rd day I stopped driving it. The reason I stopped driving it was because on my way home with my dogs and I was coming up to a red light and there was a truck in front of me and I had the brakes pushed as far down as I could when the brakes did not even work and a terable grinding sound so I pulled the park brake and still hit the truck...we were ok just shaking and the truck...But what gets me is the brake light has never come on , or a airbag deploy...I will try to sell it but I will let them know of this problem and im sure to lose a good part of what I paid..Let's just say people have to die before a recall on most all parts and y his car is truly not safe.

cute ain't always good
By Harvey Clark

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car gets about 16 mpg city and 21 mpg hwy, and MUST have premium fuel. Repairs are VERY expensive and best done by a dealer, you will not be able to do anything yourself. The entire car is poorly engineered. The battery is half hidden under the fender and very hard to get in and out, I tried to replace it once and did $250 in damage to surrounding parts ( plastic- dealer only ). The drivers seat adjustment switch is molded into a large plastic panel on the side of the seat. If you are short enough to comfortably drive the car, then you are to short to get in and out without putting pressure on this piece. Ours has broken twice, it's $350 to replace ( dealer only ). These are just two examples.This is my wifes' car ( her 2nd ) and has only 70K miles since purchasing it new, the AC is currently out for the 5th time. When I drive the car, I tilt my head to the right to keep from touching the headliner, and still have limited forward visibility. The roof line is so low in front it is a chore to see a traffic light and I am just a little shy of 6 FT. By the way, her first PT cruiser had to have an engine replacement at 13K miles.

DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL CAR!
By Jeff

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2006 PT brand new,and 4 clutches and over $4000 spent just on the 4 clutches later I still have the car. Just replaced the 3rd radiator. First clutch went out at 20,000 miles and Chrysler would not cover that because they said it was wear and tear. No I don't ride the clutch, either. The vehicle weighs 3300 pounds and drives and feels heavy, in fact it has a truck chassis. i just bought a top of the line Toyota Avalon 2015 that weighs about the same as the little PT. Expect the PT to have a very poor turning radius, but comfortable inside. Very disappointing gas mileage for a 5 speed, I never got better than 21-23 in the city, I expected better. Overall I have spend more on repairs and rental cars over the years than I paid for this car, keeping the car only because I had no other options. Just spend over $2000 on a timing belt (I just have 120,000 miles) and another $450 on a radiator, the third one. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Some things I do like, the back seat folds down and the storage capacity for a small car is excellent. If your considering this car, I would totally stay away from the 5 speed at any cost and keep in mind the older model cars (like mine) have timing belts instead of timing chains, much more expensive to replace, so make sure you check that out before buying any PT model.