Used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews

$3,960

Used PT Cruiser for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Love/Hate relationship with my Cruiser

Brent, 01/21/2016
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a coworker after some financial difficulty forced me to get rid of a car with a payment. I paid $1500 for it, so thankfully I didn't spend much up front. The previous owners had not driven it for a few months, so they put a new battery in it for me. For the first few months, I really had no complaints. The car definitely showed its age (it was 11 years old with about 120k miles on it when I got it), as the interior was pretty worn out and the bumpers were faded, but overall the car looked good for its age. I noticed one day that my air condition started blowing hot and looked at the dash and saw my car was overheating while sitting at a stoplight. Took it to my mechanic and he replaced the radiator, after telling me that I should probably get rid of this car, as they are notorious for radiator and cooling system issues. I wish I had taken his advice. I'm currently on my 5th radiator, and I've had the thermostat, the radiator cap, the fan, the fan switch, numerous sensors and wirings, two batteries, new tires, and an alternator replaced. The car still overheats, and I have to keep antifreeze with me at all times. My mechanic believes it's leaking out through the head gasket, so it's most likely torn to shreds. The A/C went out completely last summer, and the compressor has a massive hole in it. I've spent about $5000 on a $1500 car to keep it running. Now, for the good things. Honestly, I enjoy driving my car. It's comfy and roomy. I drive in town and on long drives (1+ hours) and my legs don't get tired like if I'm driving a car. I enjoy that it sits up a bit higher than most cars, so it's much easier to get in and out of each day. It's quite fun to drive, and has plenty of power for a car it's size. The car has tons of extras and options, like a moon roof, PW/PL, tilt/cruise, premium radio, and heated seats (which is super nice in the winter). It's not loud driving it on the highway, and it drives very smoothly. It handles snow and ice like a champ. I am looking into getting a more reliable vehicle quite soon, but in a way I'm sad to get rid of my little headache of a car. It's not very reliable, but in so many other ways, it's a perfect fit. Be wary buying a used PT Cruiser. They have lots of issues among all the model years it was produced. If you need a reliable daily driver and don't have time or money for frequent repairs or breakdowns, I'd avoid it. If you're looking for a fun car to drive or as a second car to play around with, go for it.

Absolutely loved this car?

itsjuanaa, 07/25/2014
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2002 Pt Cruiser Limited addition automatic. It was my first car after turning 16. It wasn't my first choice, but I fell in love with it. We purchased it from a dealership in 2013 from where I live. Gas mileage was ok. dashboard did crack in several places. The only other problem I had was my timing belt went out. It's durability is amazing. I ended up having a few accidents in it before I totaled it when a deer hit me. It drove so smoothly. I totaled it with 119,000 miles on it. It was great while I had it.

230k still running strong

DZ, 10/30/2010
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used from a friend with 12k on it. The only things I have had to do is timing belt, three clutch's, three crankshaft sensors, radiator fan, front bushings and the rear crank for the stabilizer. Other than that just change the oil and brakes. This car has never left me stranded. Fun to drive, very comfortable. To me this is all just maintenance and part of owning a car. Next week I'm changing the timing belt again cause it's that time. Going for 300k.

Loved this car but...

farrynbalch, 03/06/2014
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car. 2002 pt cruiser touring edition, automatic transmission. I LOVED this car, I bought it at 127,000 miles. Did awesome in the snow, and on long trips. Once my car hit 160,000 miles it went to shit. The timing belt went out which was around 1,000 dollars to fix. We ended up putting over $2,000 into it, then 6 months later it broke down again. Then 3 months later it broke down again. OVerall it was a good car until the miles got up there. Also has a horrible resale value. The value decreases very quickly. If it has low miles its a great car. Very roomy.

bought 02 Pt Cruiser base used

ptlover45, 02/14/2013
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted the PT since it first came out. I got a used (11K miles ) base , 5 spd, ac, combo cassette -cd player, fog lights, privacy glass. Drove it for 33K miles. replaced front wiper motor under warranty. 18 mpg ( city ) 35 (hwy) never added oil. Suede interior much classier than the no-stain interior in my 07 PT. gauges set too deep in dash to be read in sunlight. GREAT STYLING.

P.T. Cruiser, great little runner!

Lee Rhodes, 03/19/2016
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a joy to own. I bought this one used in 2007 and it has been consistently reliable. The only issues I have had are age related. A crack in the dashboard (which was completely preventable had I only bought a dash cover), both hydraulic pistons which hold up the rear lift gate need replacing, The headliner is just now slightly peeling back from the front window edge, and the cruise control failed which is caused by a module which Chrysler has known for years was faulty yet continued to produce and install in many Chrysler models including its mini vans. Just recently, this 13 year old vehicle is starting to burn a little oil. It loses a quart every 6 weeks. However an engine rebuild for this car is only $1600 which is surprisingly inexpensive and takes only 10 working days. The PT Cruiser shares the same chassis as Chrysler's Neon and the PT cruiser is a much heavier car. I have an automatic transmission and it is supplemented by a K&N breather kit which improved gas mileage by almost 2 miles per gallon. This car currently has 178,000 miles on it and if I rebuild the engine I am confident I can run it for many years to come.

A Perfect Pug Mobile

Pug Nut, 01/23/2007
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 2002 5 spd stick 4 1/2 years and 83,000 miles later- new tires, frnt pads @40k, new cooling fan @60k,clutch, rotor, pads, tires & boogerbushings @83k, P.M. belts, hoses, battery/primary @83k I've had lots of new cars/trucks and this has been the most satisfying overall - she's a little low slung which is part of the look oh well and sometimes a little skittish on slippery surfaces. I used to be new every 2 (or less) but I cant justify selling my PT just to buy another one. @83k 25 mpg - the whole 5 speed pkg awesome

Hope you're a shade tree mechanic

dadto5, 10/17/2010
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought with 57,000. In the 57,000 miles since: new elec cooling fan $600 dealership ($90 rock auto), fog lights won't turn off (pulled fuse), front window switch failed ($45 ebay), brakes 3 times (only $65 done myself), whole new front suspension $575, new transmission @ 110,000 miles $1700. Timing chain will need done by 117,000 or the engine will fail $475, new water pump ($65 done myself), chrome alloy rims look great but bend easily. I don't expect a car with 114,000 to be free to operate. But everyone I've talked to can't believe my transmission lasted that long. Front suspension needs work every 30,000 miles. Arm rest are to low to be useful. 16-19 mpg, but I'm used to 10 in my truck

worst car i ever owned and this is my second pt cruiser

myptcruiser, 05/04/2011
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 2 pt cruisers, a 2001 and 2002. I do not know why I bought the second one. Both had the same problems - replaced radiator $1200 both times; suspension problems with tie rods, wheel hub assembly. If I open the hatchback it causes my brake lights to fail, because according to Chrysler dealership, the wiring rubs as I open the hatchback. The camshaft sensor had to be replaced $350. Now it is going out again after being replaced by the Chrysler dealership less than 8 months ago. Very expensive to repair. Do not buy this car! You can find them available for sale everywhere - have you ever wondered why? Be glad they no longer make this car.

Car from HELL

Charrissa, 08/05/2009
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I HATE this car. I can not wait to get rid of it. My main computer went out a few months after I bought it which cost me $3000 to fix. Few months later my fog lights wouldn't turn off, which killed my battery stranding me many times. I had to remove the fuse that controls it. Currently my car makes a horrible noise (similar to a cats fighting) only when I turn to the right. It also makes horrible sounds when I first turn it on and drive. Turning radius stinks and so does the gas. I will NEVER EVER buy a Chrysler again.

Curse of a car

juliarose, 08/29/2011
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 2006 from my aunt who had bought it new in 2001. Before she gave it to me (luckily I didn't pay anything for it), she had MANY things replaced. The car is poorly engineered, any work done to it is a pain because of the constricted space in the engine. Since I have had the car, every 2-3 months something huge goes wrong with it. The things I have had done since I have had it: 2 radiators, 2 coolant fans, new wheels because they were leaking and causing my tires to go flat, shocks, timing belt, brakes, head gasket, fuel pump, water pump, thermostat (engine overheats, AC broke, fog lights wouldn't go out (removed the fuse box), hatch broke twice. Gas mileage sucks too! Awful.

Still like the car.

Shotgun, 02/20/2010
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used in 2005 at about 56,000 miles. Have thoroughly enjoyed the car. Haven't had many problems, but when I did, I was appalled at the repair price, and the unusual failing of parts that normally don't fail. In 2006 the transmission failed. Cost $3,250 for a rebuilt one. Since then, the sunroof has jumped the track and screwed up the linkage. No 'repair parts' are available from Chrysler. Cost $1,200 for a new one. Then the starter when out. Cost $500 to fix. It's time now for the timing belt replacement (95K miles)& dealer quoted about $1000 to replace it (includes new water pump). Transmission is acting up again but may be low fluid problem. I just topped it up & so far ok.

A car

Jerry, 06/02/2009
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced Transmission once. Had to upgrade the Rotors. Fixed a faulty Fog light switch myself with glue and worked. Replaced all micro dash lights once because most went out at about 65,000 miles which I think is normal. Chrysler fixed faulty powersteering hose with no cost to me. Otherwise, Alright car.

Love it but...Frustrating!

Love it but.... , 12/16/2009
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted one the minute I saw it! The day I bought it,master brake cylinder out in busy traffic, didn't get hit!Told by my son-in-law NOT to buy one because of the hood design,little space available to work in.Didn't listen! First:1/2 shaft replaced,front brakes next,Nov.08.Then it began over- heating,June 2009,tried everything possible to fix.Ok now,don't know WHY OR how?Motor mounts broke,and shook bolts loose on everything,starter quit but found out the bolts were loose on it.Running after 3 week search but engine light won't go off or stop blinking.Detected #2 plug misfiring,changed wires/plugs & 2 batteries.Always had chassis noises.Fan cover hits fan, rubber stays broken,can't find any

Inca gold cruiser dream pt.

Earl ELdridge, 08/10/2017
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2002 pt dream cruiser for $2200. Car had 69000 miles. Now has 461000 miles. Love this car. Great on gas, put studded winter tires on, car was great in snow. Put a heavy duty racing rad in car & no more heating problems. Just regular mant. No major problems at all. Have driven car for over 8 years, & have 3 of the same car. Would recommend these cars. Mine has the turbo motor & 250 hp. 5 spd. 18" wheels & ceramic brake pads on all 4 wheels. Also racing struts on all 4 corners. I also use lucas gas treatment, 1 bottle per tank of gas & get 4 more miles per. Gallon. Also use only moble 1 oil. Also put lucas treatment in trans. Power steering & it makes a big different.

My college daughters PT cruiser

jlsh, 03/11/2010
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For what we have spent fixing this car in the past 3 years, we could have purchased a better vehicle. The physical shape of the car is great and it has many extras but, the garage where we have repairs made knows my daughter's voice when she call!. We just spent 1500 dollars on repairs this winter and today she called and her steering wheel is locked up and won't turn.

Love my PT Cruiser

Blaze, 05/06/2010
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Hot Car is so comfortable. I smile each time i walk up to my Cruiser. I still can not believe it is mine. The leather inter. is so classy. Every stitch is perfect. Turning corners is a breeze. Handles like a Rod.

Cat with a PT Cruiser

Jamie Clemons, 03/04/2015
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We go a used PT Cruiser for a steal and have not had any major problems with it. We really enjoy driving it. It is like any other car you have to take care of it. It has all sorts of bells and whistles power everything and a moon roof. Its comfortable and fun and me and my wife both like it.

Longterm Lemon

Kbtoys, 04/24/2007
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has no go, and uses more gas then my truck. Just traded in with 88,000 miles on it and was lucky it made it. Once the car hit 80,000 miles everything fell apart. Sensors kept going out every 2000 miles. Something with a transmission sensor went out and had to get the car towed. Save the trouble and buy something else.

Love my PT!!!!

Steph1163, 04/11/2008
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006 with only 2800 miles on it! I got very lucky. I have always had great luck with the car. The only problem I have had is that the light cover for the windows roll up fell out. My PT has been the most reliable car I have owned!!!

Body Creaking Noise

Ernie Weber, 05/01/2008
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Wife and I love this car which now has 79000 miles. Trouble free with great ride and handling and versatility. For the past year we have had a creaking noise in the chassis. Local mechanic cannot locate nor could local dealer. This noise occurs primarily after coming out of a right hand turn. Not while driving straight. Bouncing up and down while standing still fails to duplicate the noise. Has anyone had this problem and how was it fixed?

dream cruiser attention getter

john ohara, 10/04/2016
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

great body integrity(dont see rusty pts) super cruiser,extremely comfortable,stands out when most other cars/suvs look all alike (you cant tell if a mercedes or a kia), fine handling,fantastic space flexability and space storage -a rare unique vehicle in this time of NO DISTINCTIVE VEHICLES---

Very Pleased

Andrea G, 12/03/2008
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased our PT Cruiser used with almost 60,000 miles on it in 2004.We have driven it a total of 29 months. It sat for about 9 months after being hit by a mid size SUV on the passengers side while riding in town. My three kids were in the car and everyone was safe.Today the car has almost 108,000 miles on it and drives great. We have had to replace the following items: rotors, brakes, calipers, tie rods and the radiator. The repairs were not as expensive as I had expected. I am often recieving compliments on the vehicle. I drive anywhere from 40-60 miles daily for work and couldn't have been happy this past summer with the price of gas being what it was

Love this car!!

CrUiZeR, 10/08/2009
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 PT for almost 4 years. Bought with 60,000 miles, now have just over 100,000. Have had VERY few issues with this car. I never head out in the morning with the fear that the car won't start or get me where I'm going. Runs great and gets some good speed on the freeway. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the car is beautiful, especially with a spoiler, chrome accents, and aftermarket mags. Interior is well designed and comfortable. Would recommend this car to anyone looking for a nice family car. Now I'm just looking for something more sporty.

We have a Love / Hate Relationship

Yankeemare, 09/17/2008
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE this car and HATE the constant repairs! 2 full sets of brakes in 3 years, new transmission at 80,000 miles, fog lights won't turn off - had to have the lights disconnected, but the LCD interior light stays on all the time, engine overheating, water pump, thermostat, timing belt and serpentine belt being replaced as we speak (97,000 miles). I love the design, comfort, interior, passenger and cargo capacity, and it's very easy to get my grandson in and out of his car-seat in the back seat. I'm shopping for another hatchback but it sure won't be a PT Cruiser and that makes me very sad. If Chrysler could up the reliability quotient, I'd be a PT Cruiser buyer / owner forever

2002 pt after 80,000 miles

richard Eaton, 05/04/2009
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

first car we ever brought new. the only problem we have experienced in the past with around 50,000 miles, the car would over heat. if you stopped for 5 minutes and restarted the car, the overheating would stop. carried it to the local chysler dealer and let them keep it overnite to locate problem. no problem found and has not over heated again since then and vehicle has over 80,000 miles on it.

Zippidy do dah!!

55gdane, 06/27/2002
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I went from a 1998 Ford Expedition to the Cruiser and love it!!! Am I having a bit of a mid life crisis??? Maybe just a little as I did not go out and buy the expensive sport car...anyway the car is very cooooool and great to drive. I think the pick up (engine) is pretty good, of course could be a bit quicker but I did not buy for that reason. Comfortable interior...I like sitting up a little higher.

Fun car

budoinst, 07/18/2002
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We just purchased the Cruiser and got it loaded---Woody, sunroof, spoiler, etc. Unusally quiet, solid and fun to drive around. Extremely well done interior and exterior and very comfortable. The automatic could be better suited in gearing, but gets me where I need to go. The braking and handling are first rate and the accessibility and combination of seat movement is staggering and well laid out. A fun car that could only use a bit of power boosting.

A Luxury Car It's Not

PW, 08/08/2003
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car is excellent for what it's supposed to be. However, if you are use to luxury, you won't get it here. You'll get lots of space versatility and reliability. You won't get power, fuel economy, or luxury. The noise level is high, and the stereo hard to hear with any real quality. We have tried for 2 years to love it, but failed.

Gas Mileage

doris riggs, 05/07/2006
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The only complaint that I have, I don't get the kind of gas mileage that you have listed.

not tickled

ct, 06/07/2006
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Since purchasing this car in the last year I have had to replace the battery , 2 starters, and now the transmission due to transmission pump failure which affected the gears and no warning from engine light until the car was dead on the road. I am not confident in driving this car. Also the a/c needs beefing up and the gas milage is awful. The brakes constantly have to be adjusted and always squal.I feel i may be at the beginning of an electrical problem. This car was babied from the first owner and also by me. For the car only having 49,000 and 4 years old this is no Dream car. Don't let the looks deceive you.......

PT Cruiser is Reliable

PT Cruiser Reliable, 07/27/2006
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The PT Cruiser is a very reliable car with routine maintenance. I have owned a different model car with each of the 5 new car purchases I have made in my lifetime. I would rate the Cruiser as one of the top. It is very reliable and has not had any major repairs. I stay very close to the maintenance schedules and have driven this car all over the US in every sort of weather without issues. I plan to give this car to my soon to be licensed teen. The leg room and posture makes you feel like your driving a mini-van (I had an knee injury and a stretched out leg wasn't feasible). The ability to remove the back seats make it as convenient as a van if you need to carry lots of cargo.

MY PT

tommy, 08/05/2006
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My family bought our PT Cruiser in August 2002 about 9 months after my aunt had just bought one of her own. Compared to our other Daimler-Chrysler models (97 Jeep Cherokee, 03 Dodge Dakota) The PT has held up the best, gets the best gas mileage and the biggest problem we have had with it is changing the tires at only 20k. Our repairman said that DC has been putting low grade (20k or less) tires on all new models in order to save money.

Think before you complain

Ray, 12/19/2004
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

People should think a little before they complain about the power or engine size or handling. The handling is harsh b/c of what Chrysler had to use to keep the cargo area spacious. The engine compartment cannot fit a I-6. It costs less than $20,000 base. You can't add AWD b/c of the aforementioned suspension issues. Don't complain that it doesn't have it.

Woody Wagon, Retro Classic or Hot Rod?

Jimmy's Retro Rod, 03/16/2006
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very pleased with this vehicle and I'm glad I purchased it. I've had no problems with it what so ever. It's fun to drive..and I often forget that I'm driving a station wagon.

Loving my Dream Cruiser

Peter, 04/30/2006
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I driven my cruiser from Rhode Island to North Carolina and then to Florida within a week and I had no problems, either mechanically or comfort wise. Drove for a few hours between fill-ups, between 300 and 400 miles depending on the A/C usage. Couldn't ask for a better looking or driving car for me.

I Love it

workmanfamily, 08/24/2006
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great cruising car. It is fun to drive and handles great. We've not had any problems with it at all until now almost 5 years into it a linkage on the gears went out (manual transmission).

2002 PT Cruiser std eng./ 5 spd manual

Dave, 11/23/2006
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car used with 24,000 miles. I have replaced 2 batteries ( I drive short distances) I get 22 mpg (city) and 35(hwy) The car has cruise control. I have added a custom air intake and conical filter, which helps mileage and greatly improves access to the battery!

many problems with my '02 PT

Joe, 01/14/2007
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The reliability of my pt cruiser is terrible. After the warranty ran out the dealer finally figured out what the problems were. I am putting $300 oxygen sensors in my car every 2 months. I will never buy another chrysler product. I would not take a free chrysler car.

Looks Good, But Stinks

toys99, 03/29/2007
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My girlfriend purchased this vehicle three years ago. First year was alright. Nothing major happend except for the very poor gas mileage, and there is no performance at all. Second year brakes and suspension went out. Had to replaced the front and rear brakes and the vehicle only had 50,000 miles on it. Also at the same time the struts go out. Third year major problems, transmission will not shift gears. Had to get it towed and no one knows what to fix. Never again.

257,000 and going strong

cre loc, 03/30/2016

Cruies er

Noah dement, 11/30/2016
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just take care of it and it will take care of you

My PT is my baby!

Baby's mom, 08/26/2017
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When you treat it right, you'll get your monies worth. I've owned mine for 15 years, I love it.

My first car

Amelia, 09/23/2018
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've drove other cars before, but this has been the most functional car I've been in. I got a great deal for the car, 3.9k for a car that's done 40k miles on it. The air conditioner is great! I got it in the summer and it has helped my experience! Not only that but I love the seat warmers!! Actually, that was the most surprising thing haha, a 2002 car with seat warmers?! Nice... Now, I have noticed a few things with it-and it might be because of its age?- but it's slow when it comes to accelerating. Example: I have a upward hill leads to a highway and I find it takes longer to go to 60 when needed too. I learned that you really have to put your foot down. Another thing is that the car is poor at turning out, like when I come out of a parking lot I have to make sure I turn hard. The car does wide turns, so if you consider this car, make sure you get the feel of it's turns. Overall, I think this is a great car for first time drivers. The car is really great in that I can see over my shoulder a lot better :) Also wanted to note that almost everyday I find a new function to the car, like a coin sorter! The biggest thing I worried about the car was safety, especially when I did more research, however, I would say after driving with it for months, it's a very safe car. It brakes hard, has traction, I had no problems with the transmission, etc. Overall, I got a grandma car, it was probably only used for local shopping haha. I love the car a lot!

Pablo Cruise

barbara vauter, 02/15/2019
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car, fun to drive, tough and classy at the same time. My PT Cruiser was a Touring with only basic equipment: automatic transmission, ac, power steering, am fm radio and cassette player, sunroof. Now for the one big drawback: It's difficult to service. Two different very good mechanics told me the insides were built in such a way that it took a lot of labor (a long time) to do repairs. So be aware that the labor costs might be a little high. Some PT Cruiser owners have also had engine/transmission problems and suspension problems. Yet everyone who owns one of these cars loves it!

should have traded january 2009

No longer Impressed, 07/06/2009
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my pt used and low mileage it went back once to dealership for some squeaking noise turned out it wasn't sitting right on the frame. i have had no problems other then regular mait. one month ago some noised started and it was the bushings bearings so 1300$ dollars spent on repairing. a week later rad motor blew causing the rad to blow then transmission, 3 days after this fuel pump went. it is now in the shop for timeing belt, water pump and other repairs. total of all repairs 7500$ i really wish i had of traded. now i will have this car forever good thing i do like the look and the drive of it. i'm just glad they took it off the line no more pts. yahoo

Happy in my PT

WinDaddy, 05/24/2007
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've got 106K miles now and haven't had any problems with the car. There's a slight clunking from the rear occasionally under hard cornering just recently started. I understand it's worn suspension bushings on the rear, so I'll be replacing those soon. At 40K I installed aftermarket springs and shocks to improve the handling. A bit stiffer ride, but well worth it. I also installed a Borla aftermarket exhaust and AirRaid intake. It has a nice growl, and power is OK with the 5 speed manual. I would not like this car with an automatic. Just replaced timing belt- it's more expensive than most- you have to disconnect A/C hoses and raise the engine up few inches.

solid performer

ernie meri, 02/27/2002
Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very reliable,firm sporty ride. Grips the road well, but under powered. Still can't get used to window controls in center panel instead of doors. But great ride and no problems electrical or mechanical since delivery.

Very happy so far....800 miles

joeboy, 12/04/2002
4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Solid car, no rattles or squeeks yet. Time will tell. I have the 5 speed. 1st gear is a little weak, but then it pulls pretty well. Very versatile. I would recommend it.

What a disappointment

Travis Culver, 12/28/2005
Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

There are lots of high reviews for the PT...this is not one of them. This thing LOVES the shop, rocks and gas stations. In the 3 years we've owned it, it has had 3 of 4 window motors replaced, approx. 8 windshileds (no, not kidding) a rebuilt transmission, squeaky brakes, a bad EGR valve, and malfunctioning fog lights. Even though my wife and I love the PT for it's looks and functionality, we are sick and tired of the cost of gas and the trips to the shop. If the tranny hadn't one bad less that 500 miles within it's 70,000 mile warranty, we would have been in for $3,000+ in repairs. Wish I could say better things about a car we had high hopes for, but just wishing we'd never bought it.

51050