Used 2015 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (15 reviews )

Great car
By Jim

Great car poorresale

Had it for 6 months now and love it
By Jim H

2015 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This is amazing. I have spent 23 dollars in gas for 6 months. I just went in for my service and free tire rotation. Great car fun to drive. Love not using gas. I drive 15 miles 1 way to work and another 15 miles back, and dont have to worry about running out of electric power.

One year review with second Volt
By Brian

2015 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This is my second Volt after owning a red 2012 Volt for 3 and a half years, 50K miles, and no issues. The 2015 is almost identical, everything works as expected. Some people don't like the capacitive buttons on the dash, but I don't mind, they wear very well. The car itself wears very well, maintains its appearance as long as you give it proper attention. Like most people, I usually go over a thousand miles on a tank of gas, most of the time more. My work location has a charging station so no additional cost in electricity at home, nice perk. If you are worried about reliability, don't be, the car goes forever, battery will probably last over 200K miles, and electric motor I read is good for 600K miles. Safety is also top notch (5 stars).

Much Better Than Expected
By Ricky Moore

2015 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

First US - Build car since 1987. Great ride, very comfortable, good vision just a little tight vision from the rear like most cars, mirrors take care of that problem. Smooth shifting, no interior noise , very quick acceleration and braking. Handles well and sticks to the road, very predictable where it's heading. Instrumentation is logical and easy to reach while driving. Could use additional glovebox./storage. Rear seating may be a little tight for larger adults, front seats have massive room and great headroom.

my first electric car
By Jim

2015 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Ended up buying an electric car after being exposed to my son's leaf. The leaf was not considered as his is now 2 years old and he has already lost 20% of battery capacity. He has a 2013 which had the heat sensitive battery

My least favorable experience was of course the buying experience.
(How can they get you to pay more). Stickered at over $40000 as They had added $1700 for window tinting, plus car had navigation and premium bose sound system $995, premium trim package $1395 which included heated front seats, suede interior leather, rear center pass thru armrest, - crystal red tint coat $495, Cargo area cover $110 and cargo net $90.
When I first saw the sticker i just told them i never pay for window tinting. So they came back with a new sticker of $38,800 (the $1700 for window tinting had disappeared).
The end result was i got the car for $35000, about $3800 below the adjusted sticker of $38800.
I probably would not have purchased this car had it not been eligible for the $7500 federal tax credit (which reduced my purchase price to about $27500.) I tried using the AAA buying service. He came back and said "you will pay at a minimum $35000 - they could not get a price lower than that".

That being said, the volt is an impressive car.
It was a good choice for us as the 45-47 mile range pretty much covers all of our trips. (factory estimate 38 mile range)- increase is due to
1) most of our driving is in ideal moderate weather
2) our driving is typically at 40-50 mph in suburban driving.
3) I also drive in "LOW". (This should be called economy as it's purpose is to provide much more battery charging when U let up on the gas. It has no impact on gearing.
4)There typically are no more than 2 people in the car and we are both under 160 lbs. - less weight-longer battery range.
(UPDATE DEC 20 CHG SHOW 48 MILE RANGE AVAILABLE BEST EVER!!!)
Now for more good news.The volt is an impressive car!!!
I love the volt. It drives beautifully, is quick, quiet, and reliable(based on others comments plus our experience so far). We purchased the car in October and have 8700 miles on the car. We are averaging just at 300 mpg!!!! and have used 29 gallons of gas) I just also read an article indicating that going back to 2010 there has pretty much been no battery degradation due to 1.the cooling systems and 2.not allowing the battery fully discharge.

A great feature for us is that you can preheat or cool the cabin while the car is plugged in - this saves battery by getting the car cabin to a comfortable temp before you drive.
Their are only a few items that I dislike most of which are minor.
1. the cabin is small and confining - We of course knew that when we purchased it and we can live with that.
2) the cars air dam will often scrape the curb when you park so need to be careful when pulling in to a parking spot. (did not realize this initially)
3)car is very low and visibility is less than I would like but again we knew that when we purchased the car.
4) the car has 2 levels of 120 volt charging , 8amp and 12 amp, you may not be able to get a full charge overnight using the 8 amp setting - especially if you need the car early in the am. The 12 amp level must be manually set each time you charge as the car always resets to the 8 amp setting.
5) By far the one feature that to me is most serious is the console controls for heat, cooling,radio etc.-they are absolutely terrible. There are no buttons,indents, etc. that identify by touch where each item is controlled, just a place in the center of the dash between the driver and passenger seat where you touch. Which means u must take you eyes off the road to do pretty much anything just to find the correct place to push on the console.
6)The malls in our area have electric chg. stations but they do not fit the volt so often can not chg. when out and about.

Also, as a side note some interesting items re. the volt. (At least interesting to me)
1(the cars operating systems are complex- for example, it has several cooling systems, the car will also automatically run (but only for a few minutes)the ice if you run exclusively on electric as that is needed to maintain the ice components.
2) Car is to be kept plugged in when not in use as that maintains the correct battery temperature. the car will automatically run one (or more?) of the cooling systems if parked in a hot Phx. garage - our garage will get to over 100degrees in the summer. IT will also run the battery heater in cold weather to maintain the correct battery temp.
3)As an side benefit , Our power company now has a time of day program where we can pay only $.06 per kilowatt if we charge at night so we will be switching to that this month.
4) Car charging can be set to automatically charge only on off peak hours.
All I can think of for now as I am not in any way techi and am learning as I go.

Overall a wonderful car!!!!