Used 2000 Chevrolet Venture Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Venture for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

I would NOT buy a chevy to say my life!!!! Mostly their vans!

ssmee7, 05/01/2012

We have a 2000 Chevy venture mini van. Biggest pile of junk I've ever owned! Right after the warranty went out so did the gas gauge! Over $600 to fix it! It was a problem with ALL this model no matter if it was a chev or other GM! Then the power sliding door. Then the power windows, then the rear washer! Then a screw in the head liner over your head fell out some how and just rolls around and around! Nothing but problems with this van! If I could load it full of C4 and blow it up on YouTube I would do it in a heart beat! DO NOT BUY A GM mini van! You will have nothing but problems and the design is horrible! GM will do NOTHING to fix their problems!

contrary to other reviews I love my van.

flaGSmom, 04/23/2009

I have read so many horrible reviews and I know the posters aren't lying but I absolutely love my van it so roomy and loaded with great features of course I have all the service records and this vehicle has been very well maintained and has only 60,000 miles, we keep a close eye on the intake just in case though and DH is mechanically inclined so it won't end up being a major issue of course its used and we expect that we will have to replace things the key is do it before it breaks and it doesn't end up in a dominoe effect like so many have stated I honestly never thought I was the minivan type but I love this van and I am a believer now

BAD VAN!

evehowell, 02/05/2013

LS my butt!!! I bought mine used 4 or 5 yrs ago, for $3,600. I have sunk more money into it then it is worth!! The automatic sliding door won't work right, the heat sucks real bad, the a/c stopped working a month after I bought it, I have had issues with the struts, brakes, ball barrings, anti-freeze leaks, anti-lock brakes, hard time starting this year after it has been driving, window not working now, my serpentine beat just fell off and a Head Gasket is leaking!!!!! Not putting any more money into it!!! only had 145,000miles!!! I drove two Plymouth Voyagers well past 200,000mi before losing them! Never again will I buy Chevy.

2000 Venture Plus Ext.

big_daddy, 05/08/2002

Reliable, decent fuel mileage and very practical.

Bad car

Dan.G, 11/14/2008

I can"t beleive it was built by GM. I've always had Chevys but this is the last! Foreign next. Bought it at 137'000 klms for a good price privately. The first drive to license it the fuel pump went. The very next time driving at night the headlights flickered, had to change the alternator. The power door locks don't work either, rear window wiper too, evap sensor on the gas tank, then the wipers stay in the up position when they're off, and the last is the airbag light is on as well. I only have 140,000 on it now, just waiting for the intake gasket to leak now. Oh also the blower motor resistor went and only have heat in high.

LOVE OUR WARNER BROS VENTURE

WB Mama, 10/05/2002

We bought our Warner Bros Venture new, and after more than 2 years of driving it, we continue to love it. I have become very possessive of my WB and won't even let my husband drive it because its "my car." That doesn't bother my husband much anyway, because he'd rather sit in the back and watch movies with my son than drive. The car is great for long trips; the kids and hubby just sit in the back and stay happy watching movies or listening to CDs. That leaves me the peace I need to drive. A wonderful family car!!! Have had to return the car twice for recalls about the passenger sliding door, but it appears to be working well now.

Great vehicle, but we've had problems

duraflex, 05/09/2006

I have owned 5 GM cars over the last 25 years and although I generally like the Venture, it has failures I've never had experienced before. The two biggest have been the head gasket issue on the 3.1L engine (almost $600) and now the A/C has died which will cost another $600-$800. These 2 items seem like common problems on this van. The negatives are the big servicing issues. I don't expect this from a GM product. I really hate to say this but it will make me question whether to buy GM in the future.

Best van I have owned

odinoakin71, 02/06/2012

Bought my Venture in 2006 with 88,000 miles. Have had zero issues. Change the oil every 3,000 miles. Van now has 167,000 miles and I drive it everyday.

Better value than the most popular van

Rat, 05/10/2002

More features for the same price of a Dodge. Bigger engine with more power and better gas mileage. We average between the high 24's to the high 25's. That is city and freeway combined. It is well into the 30's and 40's on the freeway. We like the overhead computer to keep track of these things. The Venture is very quiet, comfortable and handles well. We would like to buy a 2002 next. The only thing I would add is a tach.

DO NOT BUY@!

nanci, 03/08/2009

We bought this van with 69,000 miles on it. We were only looking for a few years out of it and then we would buy something new. After several weeks of driving, we started hearing a high pitched squeal.My husband thought it was a belt so he put some belt dressing on it. Long story short.. our very trusted mechanic told us it needed $1800. worth of work. Intake manifold gasket, fuel pump, AC?? (don't remember the exact word) We put the money into it since we didn't have a warranty. Now, the transmission is slipping! Incredible!! Should have forked over more money to begin with and bought foreign. Oh, and I should also mention the back quarter panels are rusting faster than a speeding bullet!

Don't Buy One Unless You Are A Mechanic!

Beeka79, 09/29/2010

Worst vehicle my family ever owned, bought our van w/ 33,000 miles and never imagined we were buying a money pit! It has been a few years since we got rid of it, but I remember a tranny rebuild, intake manifold gasket failure, a bad compressor, ABS problems and others w/ brakes, power locks, wiper motors and blinkers going out constantly. Traded it for a Honda at 60k miles. Would love to give GM another chance. But this van failed my expectations. Bad bad memories of this van!

Pretty good when it's running

Steve, 12/15/2008

Blown head gasket at 23,000, multiple airbag sensors, 5 coolant sensors, 2 fuel pumps, a new gas cap, rebuilt rear brakes, A/C blower only works on 5, tail lights are bad on both sides, rusting from the inside out, radiator fans stopped working. Now it has about 84,000 miles on it. What can I say. This is why Chevy is going under. This car is a total piece of junk. It's never been reliable. I can't remember the check engine light ever being off.

Simply a great minivan

duraflex, 02/17/2009

Our 2000 Venture LS drove like a car but with so much more room inside. Fantastic visibility through big windshield and large side windows which are tinted just right. Just traded it for a 2008 Uplander LS - slightly more stylish but lacking many of the nice touches we enjoyed in the Venture. Great design on fold-down seats in 3rd row. Quick and simple to use.

I am so disappointed

Stacey, 03/30/2009

We bought this van brand new at the dealership nine years ago. The first three years went great. Then the warranty expired and the wiper motor is shot and they stay in the up position all the time, the gas gauge doesn't work because the float is stuck ($500), the head gasket is shot ($500), the air conditioning is broke, and it is rusting apart in the driveway as I write this message!!! It has 80,000 miles on it. This car is a piece of junk! I know 9 years is a long time for a vehicle but this stuff went bust after the first three years. I keep driving it because after having a 5 year loan to pay for it I am broke and can not afford to buy another vehicle. :(

Stay Away!

JJ, 06/21/2009

Multitude of problems. at 80K the intake gasket failed ($1000.00) at 90K, AC compressor clutch failed ($800.00) at 100K front end work ($600.00) corosion everywhere. Way to go GM - NEVER again will I be sucked into your vechicles to purchase. I have a 1998 Honda with twice the km's that still runs, drives and looks new and worth 5x as much in resale.

The Kid-Mobile

Dale, 07/07/2009

I purchased this van because I had 3 kids under age 10! We have used it for all the family stuff including vacations to the Grand Canyon & Mt Rushmore. It has carried band members and deer. I plan to keep it for another 47,000 miles!

Be careful

noone, 06/10/2002

My wife and I bought the 2000 WB Venture after downsizing from a Chevy Astro. The only reason for getting rid of the Astro was convience of taking sleeping kids out of car seats in the back. Although we love the dual doors, and power driver side door (when it worked), we found ourselves quite frequently back at the dealership for the power sliding door. When the door didn't work, it would open manually either... Make sure you check that van has had the recalls done. I just traded my Venture for An AWD Astro 2002....Good By Venture....

Black Hole For Money - Run from this van

Former GM Fan, 08/16/2009

We bought this van after a deer totaled our 1996 Lumina sedan. We've owned 5 Chevrolets before this and all performed wonderfully for us.We needed a car immediately after the deer strike for my wife to drive to work and a good looking 2000 van sat in the lot of my home town dealer, so expecting another trouble free Chevy, we bought the Venture. What a mistake! Rebuilt transmission, replaced the infamous intake gasket, replaced the water pump, ABS quit working, headlights fill up with water when it rains, rear a/c quit, interior/exterior/headlights/tail lights go on and off at random, repair shops can't figure out why. Overheats in hills. No more GM vehicles for this former customer ever again

Bought mine NEW!!!

Purchased New, 12/22/2009

Purchased vehicle new and added a 100,000 mile warranty. Glad I did. After 62,000 miles we had to replace the transmission. Great dealer service and no problems with transmission since! Several problems with what felt like transmission shifting problems. Local mechanic replaced the spark plugs and wires and this fixed the problem. Overall it has been a good, reliable vehicle for a young family of 5. Recently the van has had several mechanical faults costing a total of $2500. Now it has started smoking (from where I have NO idea). Will sell soon but have enjoyed the van.

Hit and Miss

Dawn Coley, 06/10/2010

Bought this used from a dealer. Were told the noise from the back when you turned off the engine was the air compressor, yes this has a compressor. Turned out they lied, the shocks had a leak. Have never been able to afford to get these fixed, because other more important parts were needing fixing. One repair after another for the first two years. Since I was broke from all the repairs could not afford a new car. The upkeep and repairs are brutal. Now at 100,000 miles all sorts of stuff breaking down. Keyless entry and locking mechanism stopped working. Gas gauge doesn't work. When it needs repairs very expensive because design of engine area many parts have to come out to repair what is broken.

Money pit

busymom, 07/22/2010

Bought used at a dealership, had low mileage at the time. One thing after another has gone wrong. I can't even remember all I have had to replace. I am now told that there is "something" draining my battery, but it will cost too much to find problem. Now at 100,000 miles, transmission going out, gas gauge does not work, auto door lock/unlock on key ring stopped working, and air conditioning going out. I am looking for another car to replace this one. Major money pit! Will never buy another again, or any other Chevy vehicle. Left bad taste in my mouth and wallet.

Be careful!

ArtisticInAZ, 10/05/2010

Lots of repairs! Had to put in a new engine around 80K. Brakes, AC compressor, plus many other minor repairs. The last major cost were new computers (it has TWO!) Apparently it is a manufacturing error and we are now waiting for money back from GM. At first we thought it was the transmission (be sure it's not- expensive!); had that checked out and it was fine (honest mechanic!) It continued to have trouble shifting and finally decided not to start one day. It needed a new fuel rail and fuel pump. Still had trouble after that and found out it was the computer that caused all of the fuel rail trouble which caused us to need a new fuel pump. OUCH!!!

Love My Venture

SuperChief, 07/14/2002

Bought it new, first minivan; wife loves the Medium Redfire color. Engine is good for the long haul, many trips at constant 70+ mph, never a whimper; transmission a smooth shifter, really good power when you need it. Handles well at all speeds. Has had two recalls on the power door so far, one to fix the door, one to fix the fix. The temp guage says it is overheating and the fans don't seem to come on to combat it, the dealers I have taken it to can't find the cause. Engine takes forever to warm up making the interior cold longer than usual in the winter.

Chevy Ventures RULE!

Bryan, 11/17/2010

Well, the Chevy venture is the best thing I ever spent my money on. I had a lumina apv, it was great when I got it, then got the venture, then got the uplander (hated the uplander). Chevy ventures are the best of the GM minivans. It is great for hauling car loads of people to and from work (I car pool), and just a great van you can have!

Rockin Van

Erik in Harleysville, 08/01/2002

Bought new. Have been pleased. Our first mini van. What a verstile machine. Bought it specifically over the Dodge and Honda. Drives great, nice looking.

Always Chevrolet

American Buyer, 08/17/2002

First minivan. We love it! Gas milage averages all around in the mid to upper 20's. Plenty of room. Very convienient. Very comfortable, just got home from a 1500 mile road trip. Have had zero problems with our power sliding door.

2000 Chevy Venture

krohn, 09/09/2002

I love the Chevy Venture!! Its easy to drive, use options and comfortable. Its very roomy. The bench seat in back has lots of leg room!

Love it!

g-cat, 09/14/2002

We love it! It is comfortable and drives well. We have driven it from WA to Mexico several times and it was great. The kids kept busy with the videos and we were happy listening to the radio and cds.

Best minivan on the road

Andrew Tourneur, 10/16/2002

Comfterable ride, smooth driving, excelent reaction time, good handleing in the summer and winter (depending on tire) including traction features.

Lady's view

Cecilia R Chapa, 06/05/2002

I am happy with my chvy venture in regards to the drive, sound, relaxation. What I don't like is the materials they used for the seating. It seems like we have to take constantly have to take it in for some kind of fixture. Being that it is a van I would think it would be design for family use and the matierial would be strong. I guessed wrong.

nice van

leowes, 12/26/2002

I bought this van used for my wife and children. Overall I am impressed with it. Being a mechanic, I look for quality and longevity along with value. The powertrain is very reliable, and maintenance is inexpensive. I have seen several of these vans in my shop and all have just been in for maintence and brakes. I cannot say the same for chrysler or ford products which seem to have weak powertrains. The acceleration is great, and handling is that of a car and not like a truck. I highly recommend this van.

I am getting chevy cars anymore

LAdude, 01/24/2003

This car is not that reliable. It broke down in four months. Six month later, I found the car's temperature gauge went all the up. My mechanic found that the coolant system was OK, yet the temperature gauge showed overheating (until now). Last year, the engine started to "cough" and the car shake. Also last year, I started my car, and the engine was racing like when the gas pedal is hit hard, the engine idle control went out. I have only 35,000 miles on that minivan, and three months ago, I had to replace the transmission. Last month, my car started leaking a lot of oil, and I already have it fixed. Next year I’m getting Honda Odyssey.

A Useful Vehicle

Indiana6, 02/01/2003

Value Venture met need for affordable new minivan with capacity for 8 seats, and no compromise on engine and transm. Handling and ride are good for a van. At 43K, 34 mos. some squeaks and rattles, and a manifold gasket change. Earlier transmission valve problem fixed under warranty.

Buy Japanese

Katy, 02/05/2003

I would never buy another Chevy Venture. Our back windshield wiper fluid dispenser has been fixed 3 times and is broken again. The driver's side window jams and won't go down all the way. A year ago, the airbag light went on and wouldn't go off. Not covered under warrenty. We've had the seat belt replaced because it tore. The front seat fabric tore--replaced under warranty. The rear heat/ac doesn't work anymore or only at times--costly repair. It does get good gas mileage and is easy to drive.

Bad transmission

ht, 08/17/2003

I bought the van used in Feb. 2003,when it had 12,000 miles on it. It now has 25,000 and shifts roughly. I think the tranmission will go out soon.

Fix the engine!

gmp000, 08/27/2003

After 3 years and 40000 miles I had engine oil sprayed all over the motor compartment. As it appeared, it was upper/lower intake leaking, also engine coolant was leaking. Mechanic said it was very common. And the warranty has just expired... Other miscelanous defects include: rear hatch handle broken, battery leaking - acid corroded the paint inside, rear wiper broken once.

WB 2000 Blue, Great Seats

Venture_Owner_2000_B, 10/31/2003

A great Minivan, Great Features and good finish in and out. No Problems yet, besides the Power Slider (someone tried to close it as it was power closing, should have warning label!!)

Gotta have the Warner Bros option

soccerdad, 11/12/2003

Still not sure how I ended up with an American made vehicle after owning many imports that did not give me any reason to change my ways. The 0% 60 month financing was the back breaker because no import vans offered even close to that back in 2000. The 2-3-2 modular seating is a great feature for our family of 5. We can still get everyone in and have tons of room in back for those long trips. The Warner Brothers video player has performed flawlessly and has made the aforementioned trips a breeze for adults and children. It has been quite hard recently to find a vehicle that has the same amenities while retaining the value that we have in this minivan.

My Venture Van is a Money Pit

Thompson Family, 05/29/2005

From an appearance standpoint, I am pleased with my 2000 Venture, and enjoy driving it. As far as quality of the build, it blows me away how GM continues to flood the market with poor quality vehicles with embarrasing resale values. Among the mechanical problems I've had in my first 3 years of owning it (between 45,000-90,000 on the odometer): -Expensive leaking manifold gasket/coolant problems at 50,000 miles -Expensive ABS brake issues -Expensive front end & ball joint replacement -Warrantied sliding door Issues -Int. and Ext. electrical constantly flickers because of a short somewhere. - Fuel gauge always pegged on Full until the low fuel light comes on (then it shows empty)

Great car!

sthaydock, 12/19/2003

My Chevy Venture has been excellent. The adjustable seat configurations are great for my family of 5 plus a dog. The car has been very reliable. I would definitely get a new one.

Mine was made on a holiday!

SDenney, 08/17/2005

When we bought this car, we purchased an extended warranty. Unfortunately it was a dealer (MPP) warranty but we did not know this. The motor went out at 29,000 miles and we were forced to replace it!! The warranty only covered a portion of the cost plus a junkyard motor!! Lots of maintenance cost associated with it too! Little things like the blinker lights are expensive not to mention the back light panel.

Nickels and Dimes

JustSayNoToChevy, 12/30/2003

I bought this rolling nightmare six short months ago, from CarMax, where they have the 160 point evaluation . . .hmmm . . . they don't keep records of them, by the way . . . This thing has been in the shop at least once a month since I've owned it, and every time I get it back, I am just waiting for the next problem. The interior trim is a joke - I am amazed that the engineers at Chevy could get away with such a poor design. This thing is truly a joke. Thanks to this thing, I will never, ever buy a domestic car again, nor will I ever buy from CarMax again.

Great van

fischam, 01/15/2004

I have had this van for almost 4 years now and so far so good at 45K, Drives great and is very comfortable on long trips. Excellant gas mileage around town and hwy with plenty of power. I did alot of research back in 1999 on this and other minivans by cruising thru message boards and feedback sites and found the Venture to have the least complaints. My research has paid off.

LOVE IT!!!!

FAMILYTIME!!!, 01/17/2004

WE ARE A FAMILY OF FIVE. THREE CHILDREN IN CARSEATS. I LOVE THE FACT THAT THERE ARE THREE FULL SIZE SEATS IN THE MIDDLE ROW, SO ALL MY KIDDIES CAN BE WITHIN ARMS REACH. ALSO THAT WE CAN FIT THREE EXTRA FRIENDS IN THE REAR ROW. LIFE IS A PARTY, WHY NOT BRING YOURS ALL OVER WITH YOU?????

I like my Venture

Dean, 12/28/2005

Bought my 2000 Venture new in Sept 1999 and I still love it. We put an average of 18,000 miles a year on the car and drive it all over the country with 3 kids every summer. It has plenty of room for kids and stuff and everyones happy. Our van currently has 110,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Haven't had any major problems just normal wear and tear. Overall a great van for a family that likes to travel.

Worthless after 200,000 km

B MacAvelia, 02/06/2006

Not bad if you don't drive much. Lego kit used to put interior together. Leaking manifold gasket, coolant problems, gas gauge either full or low, poor lighting for night driving, electrical problems constant; pwr.windows, pwr. door locks, oil light reset is difficult to reset, and when it reaches 200,000 km it's scrap metal. AC/heater problems only worked on high. Removable seats are too heavy and are not that easy to remove or put back into place. Money pit in almost every way. Very poor value for the price.

What a piece of garbage.

sturmiller, 02/23/2004

10,000 miles- new transmission hood pops open spontaneously- takes mos. to fix. TWO front brake jobs- with rotors 40,000 intake gasket blows. ($1200 repair) 44,000 wheel cylinders blow out 46,000 seat belt sensor and air bag breaks ($350 repair) 47,500 steering pump blows and so do both wires. $700 repair Motor for rear wiper dies ($400 repair) DON'T BUY GM. They make junk. Whole websites full of complaints from unhappy consumers. This car is the WORST. Spend more, get better..

buy again

BDdavis, 03/14/2004

ONE OF THE BEST VECHICLES I HAVE EVER OWNED. WIFE AND KIDS LOVE IT. PLENTY OF ROOM.

Great Family van!!

nanbret, 03/21/2004

Being a stay-at-home mom with two little ones, this was the perfect car to buy for the price. It drives well and has lots of room for our family, the dog and all of our stuff. We like the exterior with it's sporty design. This car also has good power.

Zero confidence

Hayhoe Family Holt, 07/10/2006

I purchase the brand new vehicle in Sept. '99. By Dec. '99 it had been towed away a total of 3 times; transmission short, faulty transmission ball bearing, faulty EFI. At 44,000 miles faulty manifold gasket. Poor fit and trim with small items breaking off, and the vehicle loves to rattle. I am still afraid to drive this, but have limited options.

51050