Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

total lemon
By Tim

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 2009 Chevy Traverse in 2012 used with 23,000 miles. It was okay for the first 2 years. Since then, the timing chain has been replaced 3 time, coils have failed, numerous emission-related problems, numerous interior electric problems, and numerous miscellaneous problems that cost us over $12,000 in 4 years. I had it appraised at CarMax last weekend for $2,000... laughable resale value. I have driven Chevys for 19 years but 2019 is the year we switch brands. This car is total junk. Chevrolet should be embarrased by the Traverse model.

Worst car ever Don’t buy!
By Emily Funk

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this car a year ago, and it has had issues since we left the lot. The catalytic converters, spark plugs, O2 sensors, air conditioning, the heater, suspension. All of these things have gone wrong some more then once, and now it’s in the chevy dealers service department and can’t figure out what is wrong with it. Chevrolet should have recalled all 2009 traverses, they are lemons! Nothing but a money pit. DO NOT BUY!!!!! I will never buy another Chevy again. For the money we have put into fixing this car all the time I could be driving a luxury SUV.

Get up and go .. this is the vehicle!
By ghensley

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Great looking SUV with all wheel drive. Safety, and control during inclement weather. Great in snow. Comfortable vehicle for road trips or just running to the store. Lots of room. The LTZ has everything you need and want! If I didnt already have one, I'd get one.

2009 Transmission Wave Spring Defect
By E

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Chevy built certain 2009 Chevy Traverse SUV's with Wave Springs that breaks and destroy the transmission. They have issued an extended warranty up to 10 years or 120k miles. If you exceed the term of the warranty they will not assist you in any way. Even with a known defect Chevrolet does not stand buy its products. The mileage on the 2009 traverse is poor. I am getting 17.4 MPG. I never came close to the advertised MPG.

2009 Traverse Horrible Transmission Problems
By Julian

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Do not buy this SUV or any traverse for that matter unless you want to be spending 2-3k a year on different problems that most other better quality cars have way above 150k miles. Had transmission problems at 60k and it was covered under recall by gm. Of course now at 105k miles the transition went bad again and for the local dealer just to find out what it was they charged me $750. So they called me to let me know that I need a new transmission that will cost $4900 plus tax. Horrendous quality product by gm. They have been making cars for over 100 years but still don't know how to make a transmission that lasts. No support from gm or dealership. Next car will not be an American car.