Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

2009 Transmission Wave Spring Defect
By E

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Chevy built certain 2009 Chevy Traverse SUV's with Wave Springs that breaks and destroy the transmission. They have issued an extended warranty up to 10 years or 120k miles. If you exceed the term of the warranty they will not assist you in any way. Even with a known defect Chevrolet does not stand buy its products. The mileage on the 2009 traverse is poor. I am getting 17.4 MPG. I never came close to the advertised MPG.

2009 Traverse Horrible Transmission Problems
By Julian

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Do not buy this SUV or any traverse for that matter unless you want to be spending 2-3k a year on different problems that most other better quality cars have way above 150k miles. Had transmission problems at 60k and it was covered under recall by gm. Of course now at 105k miles the transition went bad again and for the local dealer just to find out what it was they charged me $750. So they called me to let me know that I need a new transmission that will cost $4900 plus tax. Horrendous quality product by gm. They have been making cars for over 100 years but still don't know how to make a transmission that lasts. No support from gm or dealership. Next car will not be an American car.

2009 chevy traverse ls lemon
By Ryan mcheffey

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Dont buy this car. Ive put approximately 12000 dollars into this lemon. General motors has been no help on any situation. I first purchased the car used in 2012 with 47000 miles and i have had to replace tires and brakes and suspension with in 2 weeks of purchase from mike anderson chevy of chicago. They wouldnt replace it. The vehicle was supposed to be under warranty. I then had to replace the power steering rack and the pump due to catastrophic steering failure in a snow storm. Which GM never helped with. Almost killed my son and wife. At 82000 miles i had to come out of pocket 7200 dollars for a new motor. Gm and the dealer said it had low oil which caused it to throw a rod. That was BS cause i used nothing but synthetic oil and checked it every 1000 miles because the 3.6 likes to eat oil. My headlights constantly burn out every couple of months also due to fluctuating voltages even though i have a very expensive AGM battery. The A/c system only works when it wants to because the control panel is messed up. Ive also just replaced at 101000 miles the high pressure fuel pump , fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel control module that sits exposed behind the gas tank facing the ground. That was about 2200 worth of work and parts. The last problem i have is the transmission. Its now 105239 miles and the reverse barely works and it slips in 3rd gear and 5th gear. For example the 35R waveplate. But i took it to Dralle chevy of peotone illinois and they told me i need to replace the trans for 4200. There is no way im spending that much. I am now going to try phillips chevy of bradley illinois cause they agree its the wave plate. Fyi Dont purchase this POS vehicle worst mistake of my life. Also General motors pull your head out of your ARS'ES and start taking care of the consumer and stop worrying about how much money is in your wallets cause there isnt a single dime in mine.

Pass Lock Engages
By Chevy H8r

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The First time this happened My key Broke in the ignition. after a week the PassLock system engaged. I towed my car to Huntington Chevrolet because I was Only allowed 25 miles or so. They Charged me $750 to replace the Lock Cylinder and my remote start didn't work anymore. they said they didn't
cover the remote start and Robert Chevrolet was responsible for that only if they put it in. in which they did. yet they still weren't responsible that Huntington was because they played with the ignition.
that was last year. now my car is Locked Out and I can't start it once again. have no Idea how to start it. i'm probably going to have to tow it to a dealer so they can reset it. and figure out how to by pass the pass lock wich voids warrantee but I won't have to pay the dealer a couple hundred every year to reset the lock system. I get 14mpg. constantly carrying tools so its sluggish going up hill. electric mirrors, blue tooth and all my electronics either don't work or don't function properly all the time. and the AC only takes in outside air. so if I'm behind a school bus in the rain. and need the defroster on my car smells like diesel exhaust and I have a baby in the car and I have to go through a dirty wheel well to change the blinker from under the car. it because of this car that I HATE CHEVY.

STEER CLEAR OF THIS VEHICLE!
By Chevy Junk!

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

At first, I LOVED this car. Smooth ride, lots of room, pretty decent gas mileage. Four years later, all radio speakers, except the small one in the dash, stopped working, unless the outside temperature was at least 85 degrees. After calling Heritage Chevrolet in Chester, Va 3 times to get an appointment, I was told there was a short in the speakers. This affected the On-Star, back up alarm, and turn signal volumes. Heritage said to replace the radio, it would cost $750!!!! No radio is worth all that. Maybe when the radio catches fire, Chevy will do something about it! So I lived with no radio 9 months out of the year. Now, after the warranty expires by 8 months, but much less than 100,000 miles, a plate in the transmission breaks causing the car not to change gears. Repair costs....$4500!!!!! Again, Chevrolet will not help with the repair costs. Never again will I buy a Chevrolet product. Poorly made parts only last a few years. I have bought 2 cars from Heritage, one of which we paid cash for, but never again. They do not stand behind their product because they know it is JUNK! And adding insult to injury, my independent mechanic tells me that the power steering will need to be replaced very soon. JUNK, JUNK, JUNK!!!!!!!