Used 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

$$$$$ EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN $$$$$
By Remodelman

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We owned a Chevy Astro van several years ago. We sold it because it was nickel-and -dimming us way too frequently. We switched to Ford products and noticed a dramatic difference with over 250,000 miles on the Explorer we sold after buying this Tahoe. We bought a Tahoe because the Ford SUV's were blowing spark plugs out of the heads. We purchased a used Tahoe that was loaded from a mature private party after having the vehicle checked-out professionally. Maintenance records indicated that the transmission had already been replaced by a dealer under warranty. I have two major gripes with this vehicle: 1. The vehicle is in the process of nickel-and-dimming us with repairs needed such as the rear heater core for the passenger compartment leaking, the electronic instrument cluster going out, and the four wheel drive selector switch getting stuck in 4WD for no apparent reason. 2. The transmission. While in overdrive and in cruise control on the highway at speed, the transmission downshifts consistently (too often) at every little rise in the road. My independent transmission repair facility tells me that's the way it's designed. WHY? This is a well designed, comfortable vehicle that does very well in the snow and ice of Colorado. However, Chevrolet needs to do a far better job with the longevity and reliability of their components. We're simply not used to this much unnecessary maintenance with our garage full of Fords that we put tires and brakes on, along with routine fluid changes. Shame on you Chevy!
UPDATE: Since our lasr review, we've had a rotational noise at 10-15 miles per hour. Our mechanic diagnosed it initally as the bearing going to the front drive shaft. While torn apart, the bearing looked OK. He did replace the wear discs with a different type at the recommendation of a rebuilder who has performed dozens of these. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The entire vehicle shifts much smoother, especially when the transmission downshifts automatically when needed in cruise control. ONCE AGAIN, this repair SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE PERFORMED WITH THIS FEW MILES ON THE ODOMETER!
It appears the next major repair that's needed soon is the head gasket replacement.
Remember, REAL TRUCKS don't wear bowties, they have a blue oval circle of quality.

Great reliable car
By A E Smith

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been to college with 2 kids and has been a great...no accidents, cosmetic dent in left fender the size of large grape!!! And a cosmetic scuff along the right side

Tahoe Z71 package
By Light

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

LOVED this SUV! Only complaint is how the leather on the seats wear.

2005 Tahoe lt
By Brad

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Original owner and currently have 22" wheels on it, love the look and easy to do repairs on if your willing to try. Good experience of ownership overall

Pop's old truck....2005 Z71 Tahoe 4WD
By nick w

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought from my dad's estate 6 years ago W/ 84K miles on it.....It now has 150K , Super reliable, good looking, powerful.....U-joints, Brakes, and an engine ground wire (which cost $700) to fix, have been the only problems.....Needs tires, now but will still go through 3' of snow......it is our camping/ hiking/ hunting/fishing/trailer towing/ grandkid hauling 3rd car (I drive a 2014 CR-V, my girlfriend drives a POS 2005 Dodge mini-van) . It also serves as my drive 85 miles one way to work car, in really bad weather. I have pulled numerous people (including a State Trooper) out of the ditch with it in blizzard weather, and the other day pulled a stuck 4WD ATV out of a muddy field, and the truck felt like there was nothing behind me....I want this truck to last forever...I know it won't, but frankly will never be able to afford a new one, like it.......