Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Love My Burb
By ginsnap

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 99 'burb in 2002 with 36000 miles. it now has over 180000 miles. It has been reliable vehicle overall. I always kept up the maintenance, but as it got older more has to
be repaired. which is typical of any vehicle I believe. I've had it everywhere on vacations to hunting trips, I've pulled campers and various trailers with no problem at all.
I did have to replace the fuel pump four times. But I put some of that on my "mechanic".
Now it leaks oil, not profusely, but it does, and I need to repair the cooling system. Not too bad for 180000 miles though.
I loved it, took care of it, said I'd keep it until it dies. Sadly, she just about has.

Suburban is dead at 137k
By camperrc

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suburban with 123,000 Oct, 2007.
Dec 29th 2009 fuel pump died 130,500.
Jan 17th 2010134,000 head gasket rotted away. 137,752 cracked cyilinder.

I paid 14,000 for a suburban to get me just over 14000 miles.

Complete waste of money!
Truck is worth 300 to 500 as it sits right now.

The other autos (non GM) I have owned
never had any of these problems and I drive most of my autos to 200,000 miles.

Seating is comfortable! Push button 4x4 and part time 4x4 is really nice.

I have owned three GM terrible products. I swear for the rest of my life I will never, never, never, never ever again buy another product of theirs again as long as I live. GM has failed me completely and I would be stupid to let them fool me again.

GM stinks
By nomorgm

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LS 4dr SUV

Bought this burb from my parents who bought it new. I knew the vehicle and have driven 40000 miles of the 100,000 miles. Replaced intake gasket as soon as I got it home (parents parked on gravel and noone noticed the leak). Replaced the starter after 1 month. Power door locks stick and will not lock. Rear window quit working. Brakes very spongy but have plenty of pad left on them.
Replaced the fuel pump at 120,000 miles. Rear end went out at 125,000 miles. Gas milage is 17 mpg which is average. Wears out tires every 15 to 20000 miles (use load range c tires).
Overall a money pit but still cheaper than a new one.

Size and comfort

Better quality control and parts.

Trade down due to economic slowdown
By Heathj1

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The day I got my 99 Suburban it was a sad day or so I thought. I had to trade my 05 Chevy extended z71 truck that I had bought new off the show room floor. I traded my truck for Suburban to get out of payments and got some cash back. I was only getting 30-35 hours at work for about 3 months something had to give. Suburban has 136K miles on it rides and pulls better then my 05. I was bummed that I had to trade my truck but I think I got a better truck in return. I pulled 2 3/4 tons truck back to the house on the trailer 80 miles each trip put in 3 gear and set cruise for 60 mph. It didn't ever shift down. It unlocked covter for a couple of bigger hills. Going to take it on vacation.

It tows like a Brute, I can hauls lots of stuff. Going to take it on vacation next year.

It rides rough time to time I am going to get some heavy duty gas shocks on it

The Classic SUV that sets the standard
By DAD OF FOUR

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned five 1999 Suburbans. I also own an Excursion for family trips. Between the two, I'd take the suburban any day. The excursion is a truck, plain and simple. Huge, cavernous. The Suburban is comfortable and quiet. Yes, the gas mileage is in the 'teens, but the trade off is the safety and comfort of those riding inside. The Suburban is easy to turn, provided you know what you're doing. You can load it up and still have room, and even after 12 years, the interiors still look good and feel tight - and not the cheap plastic highlights that are in cars today. With regular maintenance, these SUVs can literally run forever.