2017 Chevrolet Spark Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Spark Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spark model:

More than meets the eye.
By Steve

2017 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I agree with another poster who compared the Spark to an early generation Miata. Consider the following: 1. Did you know the Spark is actually a European design? It has that European feel and no wonder - it is marketed in several European countries as an Opel “Karl”. 2. In Consumer Reports tests of around 250 cars in 2017, the Spark was rated either #6 or #7 in their accident avoidance (handling) tests. It matches the Corvette and the new Miata in this regard. It also has braking scores in the top 20% or so all cars tested. 3. Traction control can be completely shut off if you wish. 4. All the (0-60) acceleration tests you see are with the CVT trans which has a notable “bog” off the line. The 5 speed manual is at least a second quicker. 5. I can reach 50 mpg on the highway occasionally, and rarely if ever get below 40 mpg. My overall average (5 speed manual) is around 42mpg in mixed driving. Hybrid mileage without the hassles and complexity. Port injection - no D.I. I find the car similar to a 1st generation GTI in terms of weight and power-and it is also kicks to drive and eminently practical. It’s kind of a “hidden gem” of a vehicle and a great value for the dollar. It’s a fun to drive car and an exceptional economy car to boot.

Second Spark
By Don Oxldey

2017 Chevrolet Spark 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl CVT)

This my second Spark, my first was a new 2013 Manual Spark, no cruise control...traded it in last year on a new 2017 Automatic Spark with cruise control....Have been reading the mileage rating and I do better...run Mobil 1 and installed a K&N Airfilter, cruising on the highway at 65mph, I average 46mpg. Last month I drove from Laughlin NV to Columbia, SC and back, going over I used 52 gallons of gas, coming back I used 53.5 gallons because I decided to take a US Highway to avoid some traffic on I-40.

4 door hardtop Miata
By Bill

2017 Chevrolet Spark 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl CVT)

If you are only going to have one car in the family, the Spark probably isn’t for you. For me, cars are like tools. You can’t owe one screwdriver or one wrench and expect to get much done. My other cars are an F250 to tow my travel trailer and for heavy work around the house, my wife has a KIa Sorrento we use for family outings and the Spark takes me on my 90 mile round trip to work. After communiting in a diesel F250 for a year, it became apparent to me I could just buy another car with what I’d save on diesel fuel and maintenance. That math equation turned out to be spot on. I honestly don’t understand the complaints about power. The Spark has very close specs to a first generation Miata. It is around 2300 lbs and just under 100 horsepower. My commute is in Dallas traffic and I never have issues with acceleration. To put that into perspective, here is a little background on me. I raced 125 cc shifter karts for 20 years and I’ve owed some reasonably fast cars over the years, Supercharged Mustang, Mercedes C55 AMG and a few motorcycles, and the Spark accelerates just fine. It isn’t fast in a straight line but it certainly gets the job done. The street handling is on par with the NA and NB Miatas I have owned. I’m not taking it to the race track, so the handling limits of the Spark are far beyond what you’d ever need on the street. That being said, I have one reasonably decent speed right hander on my way home where I frequently find some unpleasant person in some high power car climbing up my rear. As I enter the corner I can give a slight throttle, lift turn in hard to the apex and hit the throttle and watch them disappear in the mirror. I can frequently see the car behind with fairly significant body roll under steering while they try to keep up. Spark too slow? I think not. I embarrass cars costing sometimes 10 times as much on a daily basis going around that corner. The Spark is a hard top Miata with 4 doors. I only wish to could find one with a manual transmission. The layout of the dash is very intuitive and the radio is fantastic. I don’t know how I lived before Apple Car Play. I pick up my two toddler sons on the way home and there is plenty of room for them. My older son named my red Spark “Rojo”. Luggage space is certainly limited but I have no issue fitting groceries in it. My mileage has slowly crept up from 35.5 to 37.1 in the 25,000 miles I’ve driven. It has only been back to the dealership once and that was for an airbag recall. I do my own maintenance and it is very easy to work on. I change the oil about every 7000 miles and rotate the tires every 5000. I think it is important to review cars for what they are supposed to be and not hold them to the wrong standard. As a commuter car or even just running around town, the Spark far exceeds any expectations I had. It isn’t a track day car, a luxury sedan, or whatever else you might want to compare it to. Yeah, the plastic is hard in the interior. I paid $13,500 for it with all sorts of dealer incentives. What did you expect? And frankly, who cares? I’m not sitting on the door panels or the dash. Are you too precious to be in the presence of some hard plastic? It’s small...duh. I don’t need some expert car reviewer to tell me that. My Spark is fun, well thought out, reliable and gets great gas mileage. If you need a second car or a third, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another....enough said... (except this.. Dear Chevrolet, how much would it have cost to put a dome light in the back of the car? It is seriously dark back there at night when I’m taking the kids out.)

Great deal on a cute little car
By Rhonda Reynolds

2017 Chevrolet Spark 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Chevy Spark is a very affordable little car. It's not quite as smooth-driving as my Nissan Cube or PT cruiser but for the money I paid, this car cannot be beat. There is limited storage in the trunk but enough for the size car. I really like the recessed back entry handles. The color back-up camera is a plus. I like the driver's seat that can be adjusted so that I'm not having to climb up out of the car. I'm sitting up enough that I can slide in and out of the vehicle. That's important b/c I'm older middle-age. The driver's seat also has an arm rest that is another big plus.

Worst car ever made
By Debra

2017 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2017 Chevy Spark in October 2016 and for the first month it was ok. Now it horrible my car has transmission issues, suspension issues, constant squeaking from the emergency break and Chevy says there is not a permanent solution. I would not wish this car on my worst enemy I’m always at the mechanic