Used 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spark EV model:

Great and Poor
By Leo

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 2LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I've had this car for a little over a year with about 40k miles on it and one day it stopped charging for no reason. When it worked it was great but frustrating that it wont charge so it has to be towed to a dealership to get fixed.

Own a great electric car!
By Cody Miller

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 2LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Awesome car! Fast, reliable, no gas ever, which is great!

Very compitent vehicle all around
By nmikmik

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 1LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I am driving this car for almost two moths now and only got a bit over 1000 miles on it because I do have another vehicle(s) to drive when I have to be concerned with range.
I belong to one of the electric vehicle forums and pretty much everyone there, describes their relationship to this car in one word - Love!
I have researched all electric cars available on the market at the moment and this one was a hands down winner for me.
So far my expected range of miles to be driven keeps increasing, this morning it said that I have 103 miles to drive, so in my opinion the rating of 82 miles of range is very conservative, unless you a lead footed.
My June power bill went up $38 v last year's.

Torque, almost zero pollution, handling, cost to own. Smooth ride for a small car (about a foot shorter than Honda Fit), plenty of room for shopping and even for 4 adults if need be, but the best part - the torque is there when you need it.

Give the driver ability to turn off the radio without "touching" anything else. Allow the DRL lights to be off as a default. Improve the fresh airflow into the car without fan been on. Please note this review is for the 2014 model, because apparently the 2015 model receives enough powertrain changes to make a difference.

Who Needs a Mini Cooper???
By adamjsanchez

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 2LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

After looking around at EVs for a second car (my commuter) we settled on either the LEAF or the Spark EV. Because the Spark EV retails for $5k less than the LEAF we ended up at the Chevy dealer in town. With the Federal incentive and our trade-in we got a lease for less than we spend on gas each month for my '07 Civic we traded in. What really sold me on the Spark was how much fun it is to drive. We got rid of our FJ because of rising gas costs and got a Prius, which is economical, but 'blah' to drive. No oomph, no giddy-up. The Spark blew my mind in terms of what it can do. It flies. No transmission changes and instant torque mean this thing can go. It's the most fun vehicle we've owned.

- Instant torque = fun to drive! - Better than advertised range (90+) - Fits anywhere - Great mpge (avg. 134 so far) - Comfortable steering wheel - SIRI eyes-free - Instrument display is clear and informative

- Needs a faster charger (3.3 -> 6.6 kWh) - Nav integration with BringGo is a bit clunky - Speakers cannot handle any increase in bass - No one-touch windows?? - No keyless entry? Still have to press key fob... - Range estimator on map like LEAF would be helpful

Spark EV 2LT
By lotsofpaper

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 2LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I leased the Spark EV in Feb 2014 and it's a secondary car and I travel about 30 miles roundtrip to and from work and this is on freeways mostly and I travel at about 70mph.
No issues getting up to speed in fact I often catch up to the cars in front.
I've come to really enjoy the quiet ride.
Once home I usually have about 58 miles of range left, I charge with a level 1 charger at 12amps which is fine for me.
I did get a Level 2 charger for free from Bosch but haven't used it yet.
I would recommend driving this vehicle in mixed driving and see how you like it.
Range will be impacted if you live or commute over a lot of hills.

EV ride, technology, compact size. It's great for downtown areas and parking lots very nimble and very easy to move around. Another great feature is the OnStar app you can do so much with it. When I purchased mine they offered 3 years free of OnStar directions and connections, when you call for a destination they take into account your present charge/range and they will even send an appropriate route if you are out of range to a charging station. I've come to really enjoy this little car.

When plugging in a level 1 charger you have to manually input 12amp charge Every Single Time. That gets old but I've read that this was because Volt owners were waking up to uncharged cars because their houses could not handle the 12 amps (tripping the circuit breaker) so it defaults to 8 every singe time. The interior also started squeaking about 2 days in, which is annoying but I can bear it as I do not enjoy visiting the dealers. Another improvement could be the HVAC controls it gets some getting used to for example only wanting the air from the outside (vent). Press Temp ensure Auto is on, then press Auto, should only use about 6% of energy.