Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Best value subcompact
By Jay

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is by far the best value of any subcompact. I have a 2012 sonic LTZ hatchback with 1.4l turbo and 6-speed manual. It is fun, looks great, has plenty of room, is comfortable, handles well, rides well, has good power for subcompact, has needed 0 items or repairs, less tires, brakes, oil changes, and etc. I have yet to get under 39 mpg Combined on any tank since I've owned the car. I dont understand the draw to the honda fit. It's a boring car that partially resembles both a turtle shell and a cheese wedge. No fun. The sonic is a great car to run an ecm tune on- hold up very well when power is increased. If you are looking at the sonic, try out the 6- speed manual version! Great shifter and transmission and has a 'hill holder' function built in to car. The only subcompact able to be taken on frequent long road trips imo. Handles the highway much better than the Fit, Fiesta, or Rio. The cost of ownership is crazy low! I have saved a ton of money. No coolant temp gauge which I dont like, but at least has a light that comes on if it were to get hot. Other than that, it is the perfect subcompact for the money. I have snow tires on and live in NH. Has traction control that can be toggled and fog lights. Great in the snow.

2012 Sonic LTZ AC bad
By CC

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The AC unit will go out, mine went out at 140,000 miles have to disconnect the battery anytime you mess with the AC controls to reset the AC. I have taken it in to two different service mechanics and they cant find the problem. When looking up the problem on the web I came across a website with people that have had the same problems and it can not be fixed. Being from AZ this is a huge problem....

Don't buy a Sonic!!!
By doc

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Chevy should be ashamed to build/sell such a deathtrap! At 4.5 years, I have already replaced battery twice, alternator, A/C compressor, radiator, thermostat, fan switch, cooling fan, coil pack, and plugs

Nice car but I got the black sheep
By Bev W

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Have had a problem with the radio since day one. Even put another year after extended 5 year warranty had expired. After 3 new stereos and new passenger speaker still not fixed. Replaced the shift box twice. Great on gas and is a comfortable car for me.

Loving it
By Pat

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 2012 . I dives like a new car. I love it . Quiet, feels good, rides great. I bought it with 102,000 miles for 5,000.