Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Maintain your car
By Paul majors

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Know what you’re doing and look at before buying anything

Must have bought a lemon
By Joe

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

No matter how much i babied this truck it still let me down. I loved driving this truck it handled great, the zr2 suspension made rough roads feel like you were desert racing (thats a good thing). No rattles and stayed straight. I owned the truck for 3 years, i bought it with 119k miles, it did not have a hitch so it never towed before i owned it. I put a hitch on it and towed my lawn mower and the occasional 2 place snowmobile trailer around town. I made several 600 mile trips. I towed an EMPTY 4 x 8 foot trailer for 300 miles on a flat express way at 75mph and my transmisson over heated. That was the start of my problems. I had the transmisson professionaly repaired. And then a year later i take it on a 300 mile trip without towing and the transmisson line that runs in the radiator burst and puts all my transmisson fluid in the radiator and my coolant out on the road. After having that professionaly repaired 1 week later my water pump seal gives way. Long story short. I loved the truck but it nickeled and dimed me the 3 years i had it. I ended up putting 3 new radiators in it, all new brake lines, 6 new calipers, 4 rotors, 2 front wheel bearings, upper and lower driver side ball joints. I ended up selling it with only 131k miles. Maybe i bought a lemon but either way im happy its gone. Time for a full size

230k & going strong
By Nick T

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

If you want comfort and smooth ride the ford ranger has the S-10 beat by MILES..but if you want a little truck that will never quit then the V6 2.8 motor will go forever! Ive always liked hondas and toyota but after this truck i have changed my mind about chevy trucks

Owned from new to 320,000 mi when wrecked
By K

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We bought the S10 new for a commuter vehicle and occasional truck use, needing 4x4 a few days each winter. At about 300K miles we semi-retired it, using it around the property for truck duties and still occasionally commuting with it. It needed a new transmission fairly early (at about 100K if I recall) but after that only typical minor repairs such as wheel bearings. Engine, transmission, 4WD, etc were all working well until the day it was wrecked. It had some expected rust around the rear fender, but not much considering we live in the midwest and it was never garaged. Interior was worn but not torn. Have to give it great rating for value and reliability, though bear in mind most of our miles were highway commuting.

Great and sporty
By titanicbuff

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We own a 2001 Chevy S-10 Extended cab. We've never had any major problems, although we did replace the radiator- but that was normal ware and tear. I do find I have to turn the key twice sometimes to start it and the rear door latch broke-
The 4.3 liter V6 gets great gas mileage and the truck drives more like a small car. It tows great wit the built in bumper pull package. In the snow even without sandbags it does fairly well. I've never really slid in it and eel safe. The drawbacks are the doors don't close all the way sometimes and The rear door handle is broken but I don't use the back door anyway. The truck gets to be a little noisy but thats just about right for any truck it seems.

Comfortable interior is warm and inviting, lumbar is great on long drives, seats are comfortable, 2 accessory plugs, 6 cup holders (2 in back 4 in front including one in each front door), Defrosters fro mirrors come in handy when one lives in a snow climate like Colorado, Handling is superb.

Door latch in back