Used 1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

$5,990

Used S-10 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Like a rock

Greg, 02/08/2009
2dr Regular Cab LB

I have owned this truck for about a year now. I love almost everything about it. The 4.3L has plenty of power compared to my earlier 87 s-10 with the 2.8L. This truck has almost 400k and does not owe me a thing. The one thing I would change is more durable cloth on seats especially on driver side. Recommend the S-10 to anyone so far best built compared to ford and dodge.

Reliable, economical,comfortable

Becca, 06/26/2016
LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck got 28 MPG on the highway. It always was comfortable and dependable on long drives. It had the X motor in it so it never lacked any power. On corners it held the road very well and hills were no problem. It was a great little truck.

A Real Work Truck

David French, 05/22/2009
2dr Regular Cab LB

I love my truck. It is not much more than a vehicle to get me to and from work but it is fun to drive and very dependable. The few major repairs I have had have been expensive but thankfully they have been few and far between. To just have a truck that you can use to haul furniture, lawn care stuff, or just about anything, this little S-10 is about as good as it gets.

Second S10 I Shouldn't Have Bought

nomad, 01/30/2010
LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my second s10 and both have had a SEVERE lack of power, to the point where your leg hurts after going up any little hill. The 4 cylinder is known for this, but these were the 4.3 v6 models! The problem is with the prehistoric overhead valve design the GM still puts in nearly all the vehicles even though every other manufacturer has moved to overhead cam design. If the previous owner didn't change their oil every 2000 miles or sooner, the lifters will mess up by 100,000 miles and the only fix will be to pump $500 into the engine, or buy a new engine altogether.

Not very reliable

tdkool, 07/29/2003
2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this basic model (auto trans) two years ago as a utility vehicle and I've put 20k miles on it- still low miles (72k) but I'm starting to see some of the same issues as mentioned in other posts. (tranny, leaky fluids, etc). I don't rely on it further than 50 miles from home. Horrible mileage and no punch at all.