Used 1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Reliable, economical,comfortable
By Becca

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck got 28 MPG on the highway. It always was comfortable and dependable on long drives. It had the X motor in it so it never lacked any power. On corners it held the road very well and hills were no problem. It was a great little truck.

Got what I was expecting..
By shawnsta3

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I bought this car for 4.500 last year and was promptly taken to the cleaners. I can't even sell this car for 3,500 this year.

But on my actual review, I pretty much got what I expected out of this truck. Decent gas mileage in overdrive (not what you would hope for such a small engine) lack of power going up hills. The 4 wheel drive is a plus. The extended cab is a joke. Only kids under the age of 5 can fit back there. Poor inside looks. Average outside looks. The automatic window on my side sticks sometimes. This truck was really nothing special in the year I have owned it. But on the bright side the only problem I had with it was a new battery and battery connecter for repairs.

4 wheel drive. Aftermarket foglights, tonneau cover, grille guard. No expensive repairs.

More power. Better mpg. Better looks.

2nd S-10
By Dale

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This was my second S-10. Great little truck, interior wasn't as nice as the later models but engine performance was good. No problems with the truck at all. parked the truck because I bought another and decided to do what Chevrolet won't do. I stuff a SBC 427 and Powerglide in it. To hell with fuel mileage, lets have fun, still racing her too

dependable truck

Second S10 I Shouldn't Have Bought
By nomad

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my second s10 and both have had a SEVERE lack of power, to the point where your leg hurts after going up any little hill. The 4 cylinder is known for this, but these were the 4.3 v6 models! The problem is with the prehistoric overhead valve design the GM still puts in nearly all the vehicles even though every other manufacturer has moved to overhead cam design. If the previous owner didn't change their oil every 2000 miles or sooner, the lifters will mess up by 100,000 miles and the only fix will be to pump $500 into the engine, or buy a new engine altogether.

I love the exterior of the s10s. They are definitely the sportiest of all the small trucks. I also like the horsepower/torque numbers that the v6 is 'supposed' to have.

How about overhead cam like the rest of the world? I know these websites attract dissatisfied owners, but with the s10, it is deserved. I would NEVER buy a s10 with over 100,000 miles, and I would suggest trading or selling them when they get close to that number.

I love my truck
By Joeshmo417

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is my second vehicle and I absolutely love it. It has decent mileage and enough horsepower you'd expect from a 4-cylinder truck. It also is very roomy for being such a small truck.

The Style of the truck.