Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Good car for getting around
By Connor Sweeney

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost 6 years now and got it with 72,000 miles on it. I now have around 158k miles on it. Here is a list of Pros and Cons

Pros
-Interior is good looking
-gets around 22-25 mpg (in town)
-stock speakers are nice and loud

Cons
-The turning radius is terrible where it handles worse than a truck
-the parts inside the vehicle are all cheaply made so they break quicker
-seats are a little uncomfortable for longer rides. The seats fold inward where it creates a divet where the back seat and the butt seat connect (not good for lower back)
-no lumbar support.

Here’s what I’ve had to fix so far
-all new door lock actuators (prices at $350 a piece professionally)
-turning signal knob
-catalytic converter and exhaust manifold
-tire rods multiple times

I'd rather have my 1972 Ford Pinto Back!!!
By Timothy Keller

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Where to start??? $140.00 to change a headlight at dealership. No access without taking the whole front clip off. Designer certainly doesn't have this car. Engine light comes on if the wind blows the wrong way. I've had a number of recall notices. Most of which tell me not to do anything until I experience the problem listed in the recall, steering, electrical, fogged up front glass. All of which may be too late by the time the problem happens. Traction is good if I never get any rain or snow. I almost got rear ended by a dump truck because my brake light didn't light up. luckily there I was watching in the rear view mirror and quickly pulled off the road to avoid that collision. Oh, and I was now able to to have that fix under the recall. Without going on and on, about the problems I've had with this car, I'd just like to say GM should buy everyone of these death traps back from the people who spend their money on them. C'on, who did GM have to payoff to allow these vehicles to be sold to the public. They knowingly put the drivers and everyone else on the roads in danger. I'll never own another GM vehicle!!!

It's been a good car
By Bruce Stevens

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought new 2009 LTZ leftover in Aug. 2010 has 158,000 miles on it and has been basic maintenance. Headlights bulb replacement is poor design. Steering light came on a couple of times but has been fine since. Handles great, rides great, better than my Jag. 28 mpg avg. 30-32 on long trips. I would buy another Malibu.

Chevy making cars that appeal to people
By Andrew

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

One time in my teens I has to drive my Grandpas old 1997 Lumina for a year. I hated everything about it. It sucked gas, it turned like a bus, it had a giant V-6 with no power, it was ugly it, it was dated, the bench seats were terrible. The interior was from a bygone decade where you essentially had a couch in front of a slab of gray plastic with other black plastic bits stuck in haphazardly with no What I haven't told you is this was Grandpas brand new 1997 Lumina in 1997. I was a German car fanatic and I used to make jokes well at least a VW is not an American car.

Anyway we went to Vegas and we were given a rental car 2012 chevy malibu, I fought tooth and nail to not get a Chevy. Give me a Toyota, Nissan, anything but a Chevy. But the lady said it was spring break and the Malibu was a mid-size and I was waiting in line at 12:30 AM so I reluctantly took it. I went out to go get it and when I first saw it I though not too bad looking of a car. And then I opened it up and the interior design was so thoughtful it shocked me. There was an actual flowing design that was multicolored with accents and nice lighting. I was very surprised by every aspect of the car. My wife liked it and how it drove. in 2013 my wifes X5 finally became too expensive to repair. So we looked at Malibus and I found a 2009 LS with 80k miles and they only wanted $9k.

Fast forward 3 years the car goes in for maintenance 3 times a year and we generally do whatever Chevy recommends. Last year was about $800 dollars in repairs. Leaking transmission pan/transmission service tie rods and a tune up. The car has never failed us and has never needed a major repair. $1500 dollars in year in total maintenance is awesome. I used to pay $1500-$2000 year to service our 2 BMWs. I have actually thought of getting rid of my M3 and buying a Camaro SS or Vette just because of how reliable our Malibu has been. Were looking at getting my wife a 2016 Mailibu when our Malibu hits 200k miles roughly 2 years from now.

Cons: Visibility is hard at 45* looking diagonal out the front because the A pillar and mirror are so large, the visibility out the back is also poor. The trunk opening is small, and most large things need to go in the back seat. The whole front end has to come apart to change the light bulb but it's nothing a harbor freight socket set, some cold beer and a lazy Saturday can't fix. Chevy fixed these issues in later Malibus

Great Car
By Doug Barth

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I would definitely buy this car again, it has served us well.