Used 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 238 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

GM says: They all do that, but screw you.
By Christina V

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

That's right. Nothing but problems with this thing since we bought it, and we bought it new. The problems have been many through the years, but we've paid for them. Now the power steering is going out and my mechanic points out a Technical Service Bulletin about Special Coverage (GM TSB 15356 - LOSS OF POWER STEERING) that outlines EXACTLY what the car is doing and that GM is willing to pay for the repair. Well, that's IF it's connected to that VIN... So since it's the same symptoms for the same car that's listed ("2007-2012 Chevrolet Malibu"), but the VIN wasn't included, screw you is essentially what I got from the "Customer (lack of) Care" person at GM. I'm fed up. The brake lights go out on all of these and I paid quite a bit to have it replaced. The water pump wasn't cheap. The remotes stopped working and even new ones won't "communicate" with the car, so no remote door lock/unlock or remote start, or popping the trunk... Only 104k... Thanks for nothing, GM. SAME PROBLEM LISTED WITH THE SAME CAR LISTED FOR THE SAME PART, BUT NO COVERAGE!

Why?
By Dannda

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car used and from one owner at about 85,000 miles. At first it was fine. Right blinker stuck and one of the key fobs didn't work. I did hit a coon but at lower speed (40 mph) about a year after I bought it. Yeah it destroyed my radiator and I needed a whole new a/c condensor. Mind you I have hit this same animal with a pontiac grand prix and all I had with that was cosmetic damage and that was at below 0 temps. NEVER cosmetic with the malibu ls. Have fun changing any of the front lights because you literally have to take the whole front off to do so or take it in to change a really cheap part. The dash kept popping up on the passenger side. The side bar on the window is really thick and blocks your view. Issues with timing chain. Had the thermostat changed about 4 times before it actually worked and didn't go to crap. Windshield wipers quit working which we found some of the gears are made of PLASTIC! Good choice chevy for making almost everything plastic on this thing. Surprised the engine isn't made of it. It's a cheap car because they use the cheapest material for this model and year. Plastic storage cubby in front of shifter broke which was rarely used. Good things...it does drive smooth, is spacious enough on the inside so you don't feel crammed, really good trunk space, handles well around corners and Wisconsin weather, decent sized rear view mirrors, and good gas mileage. If you have XM subscription the reception is good. Never used the onstar button so can't review that. All in all, I keep asking myself why I got this car and the pros are no where near making up for the cons on this car.

Reliable, son drove for 3 1\2 years
By Kenneth Ausbie

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Malibu is the work horse for Chevrolet.

Team Malibu All The Way
By Jonathan Ubben

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my 2008 LTZ 2.4L used in February 2011 with 28k on the clock. Soon after, the electric door locks failed - would not stay locked. Replaced under warranty. March 2012 the drain tubing from the sunroof came loose and ended up filling the passenger footwell with water. Self-diagnosed and repaired with a bit of silicone putty and super glue. New tires at 77k. Routine oil changes and brake fixes - but one time in North Carolina the front calipers wouldn't fully release. $200 to re-build the calipers. At 85k, replaced timing chain and intake/exhaust solenoid valves @ $1500. Around 88k, the service air bag light came on. The dealer has told me the seat-heater melted the passenger sensor module and both need to be replaced @ $1100. Currently unresolved.

Now the good stuff: This is the best car I've ever had. I've found myself wanting more power at times, especially when climbing mountains across the country, but the 2.4 is sufficient. Great mileage, also. I've been getting about 25 mpg combined with mixed city/highway driving. Seats are totally comfortable - 7,200-mile cross-country road trip @29 mpg with zero complaints. The front doors do open a little bit far, but they have three stages where they stop. #2 is a good opening point. It's still a little bit difficult to tell exactly where the back of the car is when backing in somewhere, but I've gotten used to it. Not looking forward to the labor-intensive process when a headlight goes out, but I changed foglamps myself without issue. I would buy it again (but I would get the V6).

Terrible Product Quality
By Bill

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Door locks two down and two to go....at $300 a pop, passenger airbag failed just before warranty went out and chevrolet they never fixed it; tire pressure sensor failure, headlamp replacement is a human factors nightmare....have to remove the entire front end to replace a headlamp bulb.