Used 2013 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Don't do it
By Julie

2013 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this car new in oct 2012. No major issues for a few years, standard basic repairs, except the wiper recall. Then, at about 3 years (100,000 miles) it started lurching at stop lights, we started noticing the oil was always low, filling it weekly, even though we were only driving 200 miles/week at that point. At exactly our last car payment (5 years) the timing chain broke and destroyed the engine. The dealership only offered us $500 trade-in. Chevy does not stand behind their vehicles. They know about this issue and have offered little help. I understand that they have revamped the 2018, but too little, too late. This car is junk even with regular maintenance. I'll never get another chevy.

Surprised at how much I like this SUV
By HoosierLady

2013 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wasn't real sure what to expect when I bought this 2013 Equinox as a used vehicle three years ago. I have been pleasantly surprised. Purchased from a local Chevy dealership at a good price where they allow you to take the vehicle home over the weekend and drive it to see if you really like it. I did and still do. Have had no mechanical problems or repairs other than replacing a celenoid (sp?). This SUV is sooo comfortable with the big seats and leg room, especially in the back seat. Plenty of storage when the back seat is folded down; however, I don't like that the back seat doesn't fold down completely flat. That's actually my only complaint about this 2013 model, but I do believe they have fixed this on newer versions. I'm a lady and like the 4 cylinder engine that makes it great on gas--I don't need any more pick up than what the 4c gives me so I'm happy. It's got a decent-sounding stereo/DVD player, don't use the Bluetooth or Sirius options. I put new tires on it when I purchased it and keep the oil changed regularly. Have been very happy with this SUV.

My 2013 Equinox
By Tiger Little

2013 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new Chevrolet Equinox in May 2013. Now it got more than 70000 mi. It run great so far.

reliable vehicle
By mike ward

2013 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

operated 5 plus years with oil changes on schedule and one set of tires. a good performer. i drove several long trips with the balance of miles being city driving. roomy and comfortable seating. just be mindful of the 4 cylinder when driving mountains or passing other vehicles.

Oil consumption/ electronic problems. . Again
By Jeff

2013 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought equinox because it was an suv we thought would work well for us(122 on the miles then, now has 141 ) It did fine for a while but one day traveling from Indianapolis to Florida, I noticed there is a ticking on the top of the engine. I am Mechanically inclined, mind you. First thing I did was check the oil level. It was 2 quarts low! This concern me, so I kept checking and later realize the engine was eating oil. I guess this is a common problem with the 2.4 engine. I went from the factory recommended 5w30 to 10-40 and tha helped, but didn’t stop oil consumption. Then there was a series of political problems. And trust me I know what where parts are. Battery, starter, fan inside the cab, and now a code comes up about the stability control, which has led to the vehicle not running at all. All this within three months. It’s funny I had similar problems to the 2010 Chevy Malibu I had before the equinox. Will be the last GM product I buy for quite some time. Toyota? Nissan? Anything but a GM product.