Used 2013 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Equinox for Sale
Select your model:
12345...17

Pros
Cons

Been a Good Car so far but not Perfect

DCSFORUM, 10/24/2015
LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the Equinox new 3 years ago and have not had any troubles in 24,000 miles. I knew the 2.4L wouldn't routinely achieve the EPA fuel mileage numbers at typical highway speeds (and I'm frustrated at both Chevy and the EPA for unrealistic numbers) but a quick glance at the data on Fuelly.com shows it's nearly impossible to achieve the highway number (only 3 fill-ups out of 418 got 32 MPG) which is just wrong from a consumer standpoint. I have measured 29.5 MPG on a 500-mile highway run in ECO mode running 65-70 MPH. I don't know how the 4-cylinder will hold up either so I might opt for the 6-cylinder if I had it to do over again. I thought the 2.4L had reasonable power during my test drive but after 3 years of driving, it feels somewhat underpowered. On the plus side, it's quiet and we have not had any squeaks or rattles. It has run flawlessly with no returns to the dealer for any reason other than oil changes. I think the Equinox looks pretty decent and handles well. Brakes and HID headlights are great. Good amount of room in the back seat. Side airbags are good to have. Here are my observations on the negative side: 1. The center stack is angled away from the driver so reaching the main knob on the upper right of the radio requires the driver to lean forward away from the seat and I'm 6 ft tall with relatively long arms. This is terrible ergonomic design and is very frustrating over time. That control isn't accessible on the steering wheel so they force you to lean way forward to use it. Extremely bad. 2. I find the seats too firm. The firm seats bother my sciatic nerve and I start having numbness. I had to go buy a seat cushion to alleviate this problem. 3. The Equinox cargo room is much smaller than it should be for a vehicle of this length. The Equinox is the same length as our Buick Rendezvous but the Rendezvous has 3 rows of seating and offers two or three times more cargo space. According to Edmunds specs, the two vehicles only differ in width by 1 inch so I'm just puzzled how the Equinox is so much smaller in the back. It just strikes me that the Equinox is trying to be a small fuel-efficient SUV but it doesn't excel at either end of the spectrum. It doesn't achieve the EPA numbers but also isn't big enough to handle big family trips because of the small cargo area. The cargo area is also narrow enough that you can't put golf clubs back there. 4. As noted above, I'm not sold on the 2.4L engine. It doesn't achieve the sticker ratings and I'm uncertain how well it will hold up over time. I'm not sure we're saving enough fuel to be worth feeling this underpowered. Some people have reported 5. The 6-speed transmission is good at keeping the engine revs low for better fuel economy and I like the manual shift control but it is the worst-shifting new-car transmission I have ever owned. I don't consider it a severe problem but more of a constant annoyance. It's just not nearly as smooth as it should be. The car hesitates momentarily at every shift with first-to-second and second-to-third being the worst. So, the bottom line for me is that it is a mixed bag. The car has been completely reliable which is ultimately what matters the most to me but I do have a few concerns as noted above.

My first new vehicle

toody, 08/24/2014

I've had my Equinox for over a year now and here are my pros and cons. Pros: -I haven't gotten stuck once during the first winter season with my all seasons. I can't wait to drive it with winter tires. -I like the sliding backseat feature. My parents won't ride shotgun because they like the room in the back! -Fairly good on gas and very decent on the highways when on eco mode -Smooth ride, especially on highways -Blind spot mirrors are very helpful Cons: -Wish the backseats would fold flat, it gives it a weird angle when folded. -Very narrow space from behind -Some of the interior gives it a cheap look and easily scratches and dents from normal wear -Steering is sluggish

2013 Eqinox is in the shop for repair every few months

nicolepalese, 01/25/2015
LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my Equinox June of 2013, when I brought it in for my first oil change, I already had an oil leak. Right around my second oil change I heard this horrible banging noise coming from the rear of the vehicle, the car needed a new secondary fuel pump, and sensor. Right before my 3rd oil change my check engine light came on, the car needed a new fuel rail pressure sensor. Now the car just came out of the shop this week due to a humming sound when I would turn on my ac. It turns out the car needed a whole new ac compressor. I have had nothing but problems with my new car. I have purchased 3 other brand new vehicles in the past, and never had any problems with them. Very disappointed!

Oil Burner

woz, 10/27/2018
LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 3 years, burns oil repeatedly. Dealership says it is allowed to burn 3/4 Qt. every 1000 miles. If you do not check your oil every 1000 miles you will you will damage your engine period. You cannot see oil in the exhaust and you will have no oil leaks underneath that you can see. No engine light will come when it is low. Worst engineered car I have seen in my 45yrs of driving new cars.

So far so good!

dmcnuttfamily, 10/28/2013

Bought the 2013 Equinox 2LT this past April. Nice car. First time to buy a Chevy after having Hondas and Toyotas for the past 20 years. Couldn't beat the options and the price when compared to the Hondas and Toyotas. Had some difficulty trying to find the exact car as there are so many options that are not necessarily automatic on a 2LT. For example found the color we wanted with the leather seats we liked but it had a manuel rear door. You would think that on a 2LT the power rear door would be automatically included. Back seats are roomy enough for our 3 teenagers. Front seats provide many adjustments for a comfortable ride.

12345...17