Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Comfortable Car
By Elliot

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Wonderful car for the money

Best car I've owned
By Kade Joslin

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car is great! Plenty of room for me and the few passengers I drive around with on the weekends. I am 6'2" and fit in the drivers seat perfectly wit the seat adjusted of course. The rear seat has little to no leg room if myself and another tall person are sitting in the front seats. The gas mileage is great for commuting to work and school, filling the tank is super cheap compared to my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 I had before. The 5speed manual equipped in the car shifts nice and can handle the power-shifting I do when I feel driving fast. The engine/exhaust has a nice tone also. I put a K&N Short Ram Intake system on it to spice up the performance, gas mileage and sound. It is the best running vehicle I've had and it did awesome during the winter. If you're a parent looking for a car for your child, this is the car to get. It's cheap to buy, it's reliable, sporty and gets great gas mileage.

It's an economy car, but there are better options
By Joe J

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The biggest thing to know about this car is that it is a cheap, barebones machine. It is a basic, boring, machine that gets you from point A to point B. The interior is beyond basic. Everything is plastic, and going down the road you can hear the pieces smacking against each other. The instrument cluster shows speed, tachometer, and gas. That is all. It's almost impossible to know if there is anything wrong with this car. The engine (2.2L) seems to be reliable so far, but is too underpowered. It is almost impossible to force this car to downshift. Once it's in third gear, even if I press the pedal all the way to the floor, this car refuses to downshift. This has left me in some scary situations at times when I really need the car to accelerate and it refuses to.

This car will also rust like crazy. The hood is falling apart, and occasionally pieces of rust will fall from the hood and smack into the windshield. I would have expected a car to last a little longer than this. I applied some rust preventers where I could, so time will tell how much longer she'll last.

My biggest problem with this car is how small of an opening the trunk is. Even putting a backpack is a hassle. You just can't fit anything. The other large issue is the doors. They are weirdly large, and parking in a normal parking spot makes it almost impossible to get out of the vehicle because of just how big the car is.

I only bought this car because it was cheap, and it supposedly got great gas mileage. After owning it for a while, I really wish I would have gone with something else. I plan on trading it in for a Mazda 3 after this Michigan winter is over. Overall, I'd AVOID this vehicle unless you can deal with something so barebones.

Bad Experience
By twittybird

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchase my Cobalt in 2006 brand new, I had problems every since, my power steering went out, and my ignition key would not release unless I stuck my finger in the whole the dealer made available for me to release my key from the ignition.

I have no favorite features at all.

Only suggestion, i need GM to offer me a coupon to purchase another vehicle, i cannot sell this vehicle and get any money off of it. Since i own this vehicle, its been 2 recalls and people have lost their lives.

2006 Cobalt LT, A Very Nice Car.
By isaiahtimothy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is my first, so it's an excellent first car! I bought it off my grandma, so it had only 55,000 miles despite being seven years old. I really love this car, and I have little to complain about. The car overall is built really nicely, I love the looks of it, way better looking than the comparable Ford Focus, which is complete junk. The interior is very nicely designed, has nice finishes, although I don't very much like the cloth seats, although I don't like cloth in any car. The only other thing I have to complain about is a few rattles in the dash, and occasionally the sunroof. This car will be with me for many more miles, and i'll keep it as a commuter.

-Computer Information Center: Tells you anything you may need to know about the car and provides warnings for weather, etc. -Large Trunk! -Great quality for an economy car! -Auto Headlamps & auto everything. -Lots more!

-Fix rattles in dash. -Ignition had a recall. -No other complaints I can think of!