Used 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Cheapest Horsepower You Can Possible Buy
By LSX Nation

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's an old 90s styled car built by GM. What did you expect? Luxury and comfort certainly aren't the highlights of the car. If you're like me then you bought this car for one thing and one thing only....SPEED! The 5.7L LS1 is one of the best engine platforms to date and still holds its own against the cars of today. For $12,000 or less you could buy a used F-body Camaro and have more than enough horsepower to smoke half the cars on the road. It has tremendous horsepower potential with a cheap budget and an unbelievably large amount of aftermarket support. It makes a great daily driver and the gas cost isn't astronomical as most would like to believe (just remember you can only use 91/93 octane due to high compression ratio). Overall it's a cheap,fast, and fun car that won't let you down.

Bullet Proof!!!
By theZman

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

My car (2001 Z28) has been very reliable from day one. Bought it new fully loaded and now has about 92k miles, I hope I didn't jinx it. I think as long as it continues to receive proper maintainance, this beauty will continue to run strong for eons. It's truly a looker and I've been asked many times if I want to sell it and the answer is always no. Too bad I can't post a pic here to show her off.

Here's your update (Sept. 2017): For almost a year now, I've been filling her up with the Shell Nitro Plus premium gas. It cost a little more but it (Shell) definitely delivers what it claims (about the gas), and my 2001 Z28 surely deserves quality stuff now and then. The latter is just my own personal view and NOT a recommendation. PEACE!!!

Very solid all around muscle car
By Rob C

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Camaro SS back in 2004; it was 3 years old, and had 18k miles. The original owner purchased it and hardly drove it, as he had several cars. The car has t-tops, LS1, and a 6 spd manual trans. The car has more power than most need in stock form; in modified form, it can make a lot more. The LSI engine is bulletproof (if you maintain it) and fairly ecomomical for a large V-8. I have made several 600-700 mile road trips on the highway, and averaged 25-27 mpg! The 6 spd has a double overdrive, so at a steady 70-75 mph, in 6th gear, it is only turning @1500 rpm on the tach (it idles at 850 rpm)! The car is well built, and has no rattles or leaks (it has 48K miles).

Corvette for 4! Good looking, fast, well built, and reasonably economical for a muscle car. Very strong running car. High performance Camaros offer Corvette-like performance (they usually share similar engines), and room for a driver and 3 passengers plus luggage.

First thing to add is subframe connectors. They help stiffen the chassis and make it handle even tighter; it should be noted that the Camaro brand manager during the time this car was made, came directly from Toyota, which explains the attention to fitment on body panels, trim pieces, etc.

My "01SLP SS
By '01 SS/'68 400

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback Z28 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I got the car a few months ago from a guy that had barely decided to sell it. I jumped on it and got the car for $6k. It is T-Top, 6 speed standard, LS1 engine, and all stock, (which I highly recommend people get, A stock car). Once I got the car, the clutch went out. I just decided to park the car and mod it. I barely got done working car and its great! I love it to death! I put 3" flowmaster super 44 american thunders, 3" slashed tips,a SLP cold air set up, Edelbrock headers,(which dropped the 0-60 time by 1 FULL SECOND!),pistol grip Hurst shifter and short throw, Eiback springs,Moroso shocks and oil pan,Vette injectors, and 18" Z06 black vette rims. I blacked the car out!

Very sporty, TONS OF PARTS ON THE MARKET, cheap parts, people love them, you will be noticed everywhere you go. Can get any horsepower range out of the LS1, and the LS1 is bullet proof, very good engine. Can do alot to it, can use Vette stuff like suspension. T Tops rock, and the engine can rumble

Well, I would certainly do aftermarket mods. First, the suspension kinda stinks, new shocks, springs, strut bars, and k members will fix it, engine just needs bolt ons for + hp like exhaust, headers, soforth. Get all new weatherstripping, the t top stripping leaks when worn out. Upgrade the tires.

16 and Ready to Run
By Branden P

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first car its a basic V6 hatchback and so far its been better than anything out there I could afford. It handles windy roads like its on rails and puts the power down when you want it. The monsoon sound system blows my friends systems away. This one is going to be around for a long time.

Monsoon radio, handling, and the looks can see the original camaro in it.

The interior is cheap, needs more power for v6,anything plastic brakes and hump in passenger side. But I would buy another in an instant.