Used 1996 Chevrolet Beretta Consumer Reviews

$730 - $1,877

Used Beretta for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

96' Z26

Chevymuscle218, 12/16/2008
Z26 2dr Coupe

I bought this Z26 off my brother and have owned it for about 6 months now. The car currently has 220,000 + miles and it runs great. Never burns oil. Steering is getting stiff. The cup holders in the car are not that great. There is no room in the back seats when there is two people up front. You have to have the seat (for me) all the way back so you have some decent leg room, problem is it takes away from the rear passenger space. The 3.1 motor seems to be very reliable athough blown head gaskets seem to be a common problem with them I have yet had this problem. Even though its a Z- 26 I beleive the car has a sporty apperance, but is far from a sporty car and acceleration is not the greatest.

I miss my Beretta!

Andielion, 10/21/2010
2dr Coupe

I had my Beretta as a first car for about 8 years until it was just recently totaled. It was an incredibly smooth ride and had very little maintenance issues. It leaked water into the car the whole time I had it, but that did not matter because it's reliability easily canceled out that minor problem. I would suggest a Chevy Beretta to anyone!

Good Car, but there are downfalls

Mikedonalds, 04/10/2002
2dr Coupe

Great car mechanically, I have 121,000 miles and the engine is still strong and peppy. Transmission has been a dream. I have gunned the engine far more than a few times and can outrun (w/ my V6) any Saturn, any neon, or 90's mustang (base model). Downfalls: The paint/primer are of poor quality - very poor. The daytime running lights are a major annoyance, prior to dusk my headlights turn on and off simply by entering and exiting a shady area. Driver side left foot space is crampy and there is no comfortable place for it. Floor carpeting in front and back sucks, ex. staining and fraying. Doors are heavy, actually too heavy. They will start to drag slightly and squeak

Very Strong Running Car

1996Berettaguy90, 08/27/2008
2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 3+ years now, and it is running strong. Has the typical engine knock that all 3100 SFI V6's make, most of them come like that from the factory. This car has made it through 3 minnesota winters, and has come with minor repairs done, mainly to the cooling system. Have gone through an alternator, that is a typical repair in 3100's. This car is constantly put under torture due to my lead-foot driving, and it still runs great. Bought this with 167,000 miles about 4 years ago, and $850 for a car that lasts for 20,000 miles and still runs great is definitely worth it. Perfect first car. Low maintenance costs. I plan to drive this car until it gives up, then rebuild it.

Great Car!

Jardaz, 01/31/2009
2dr Coupe

Awesome car. I have had mine for 3 years. I haven't had any huge problems just the basic maintenance. The car has gone from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia to the outskirts of NYC more times than I can remember. Gas mileage is good and a very dependable car. I wish Chevy still made them. If you come across one and you're looking for a used car, consider it. It's the best car I have ever owned

The Good Cheap Car With Problems

Bobbyz26420, 04/02/2010
Z26 2dr Coupe

I owned my 1996 Beretta Z26 model for about 7 months. It was a great car, real sharp and it raced decently, (once beating a 2000 Camaro). She ran beautifully for the first three months, but after that I started having oil pressure problems. I ended up having to replace the radiator, ignition switch, engine timing chain set, water pump, belt tensioner, and an oil sending unit, totaling out to a whopping 1350 just for parts, not including labor. I finally decided to give up on her when the engine bearings and rods ended up wearing out to where the engine needed replacing, and the transmission was already slipping and a belt was rubbing off in the transmission oil. Great car, doesn't last long.

Hey mikey i think he likes it

Z-26 Addict, 06/30/2002
Z26 2dr Coupe

I do likes it i likes it alot. This is the second Beretta z-26 that I have had. I crashed/ totalled the first one. I really like this thing. It can keep with and beat a lot of cars and it resonably disguised as a small coupe with not a lot of but when you want it the power is definatley there. The car it self is just too heavy if they found a way to ligthen it by about 500 too 1000 pounds the thing would be a lot better.

nice car

franky kiko, 08/04/2002

its a nice car

nice ride

Slash, 01/07/2003
Z26 2dr Coupe

Nice sporty ride. Very reliable. At 52,000 miles and counting.

It smells like a sweat sock

callAAA, 09/28/2003
2dr Coupe

I bought the car a few years ago at 88000 miles. Since it rolled onto 90000 there have been thousands in repairs. A strange leak has also appeared that from my research is common in all beretta and corsica models. It will be years before I EVER buy another chevrolet. American cars be warned ... keep putting out crap and you will lose customers.

excellent first car

foozler, 03/01/2003
2dr Coupe

AT 79,000, the engine and trannie are very strong. Its small appearence is misleading. It does have power. SOund system is great. excellent control of the road. Great for a fist car!!!

Love my beretta but...

AG_47, 01/08/2006
Z26 2dr Coupe

I love my Beretta. It gets through the snow really well - something useful in these Minnesota winters. It has 182,000 miles on it and nothing big has gone wrong with it. I have to sell it because I need something newer. If I could keep it and afford to buy another car I would. It gets great gas mileage - only $30 to fill the tank. It is a little small but it feels a lot roomer than a caviler or a cobalt. The trunk is huge - I recently moved and only had to make a few trips. If you are looking for a great, reliable, dependable car then think about getting a Beretta!) Also, it is really sporty and fun to drive.

Stressed

jan, 07/12/2006
2dr Coupe

This car was awful. Problems with the headlights. The alternator went out three times while I had it. The ABS system, continued to have problems squeaking, and grabbing. The road noise so bad, I was glad when I reached my destination just for the silence. Issues, issues, issues. I was so very stressed waiting for that moment I knew was coming, she died in an intersection, with me by her side, glad she's gone

i like barettas

berettagurl, 06/07/2004

barettas are cool cars,

'96 Chevy Beretta Still rolling!

Jinx01, 09/07/2004
2dr Coupe

I got my chevy before I got my wife, and it has seen both of us go through some major changes. It helped me move her stuff little by little into our first shared apartment. Carried the two of us to the hospital and the three of us back twice!( Shout out to Ayanna 12/10/98 and Aliya 12/09/2000) Saw us through moving into a house and still managesa to carry myself to work and my daughters to school every day! If I get another car, It will have to meets some high standards. But I plan to drive my beretta until it falls apart, and with 101000 plus miles, it hope that isn't soon.

First Car

Franklin, 08/14/2006
2dr Coupe

This was my first car in 2001 and it still is my only car. I wrecked it once (my fault), but I got it repaired and I have never had a problem other than normal wear. I live in a small town of 8,500 and most older cars (not classics) are the Caviler, the Corsica and the Beretta. Practically everyone who has ever owned one of those three say that they won't die. I don't want to ever get rid of my Beretta.

SWZ26's review

SWZ26, 09/05/2007
Z26 2dr Coupe

Excellent car! And I have owned 4 in the past. Now I own a 1996 Z26 and it is beautiful car. I recently lost my 2002 Chevy Cavalier in a accident and it was a total lost. This car rides so smooth and the seats are so comfortable. I would recommend this car to anyone. It is a well made car and stands the test of time.

96 Chevy Beretta

Rev Mackey, 08/16/2007
2dr Coupe

Overall a great car for dependability. I have had repeated problems with the brakes (three times to Midas for front and back) and it took a little time to get used to front wheel drive. Not a good car for winter driving.

148K and still going!

Joel, 05/29/2008
Z26 2dr Coupe

My Z26 has 148K miles on it and it keeps going. She has every options available. I bought my Beretta from my son for $600 with 140K on it. He bought for $450 and changed the upper intake gasket. We changed the water pump before I started driving it. I keep an eye on the coolant level still because it still leaks. I drive it 60 miles one way for work. I have been averaging 30MPG with mostly hwy driving. This car is quick, reliable, and is giving me great MPG's. Gas is at $4.10 a gal in IL now and you can't beat getting that kind of gas mileage out of a sporty and well appointed car. I will drive her to the ground.

Horrible first car

Joes, 07/09/2019
Z26 2dr Coupe

I see a lot of positive reviews so maybe I had a lemon.but I had one it was a 96 z26 my mom gave it to me as my 18 b day gift the car had like 60?something thousand miles so not a lot this was back in the early 2000s.it was a cool looking car other then the teal paint and pink z26 stickers every 18 year old boys dream color combo lol...anyway to many issues to list frankly the majority were electrical also like an earlier post alternator issues a plenty but many other electrical issues.it got very very pricey specially for a young guy with not a lot of money. Couldn’t really Cruz with friends due to the back seat being all but pointless maybe you could get one person in the back if they put legs across the seats.a positive though was t was a quick little car and like again in an earlier post it could heat the v6?mustang witch was cool.when it ran though.that car left a very expensive bad taste in my mouth

51050