Used 2003 Buick Century Consumer Reviews

$3,650

Used Century for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

LOVE MY BUICK!

lovemybuick, 03/24/2012
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 Buick Century at the suggesting of a friend who is an engineer and very trustworthy when it comes to the mechanics of things. At first I was worried about it "being for old folks". I love the looks and styling of this car, as does my 22 yr old son and his friends! It had 26K miles when I purchased it, today, 2012, it has 279K, and it's still going strong. The only problems in that time were routine with the exception of having to replace the motor in the door as the window wouldn't go down last year.

just a good car

johnbortz, 10/29/2015
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used high mileage but this car was garaged and well maintained. has a few minor maintenance issues to be taken care of need motor for the windshield washer sprayer. a couple of new front tires and a coolant flush normal maintenance! before winter otherwise should be ready for the cold winters here in Montana. owned a 88 Oldsmobile 96 and it went three years with very little repairs. hope the century can give me a least 3 to 4 years service. this car looks sharp and seems to get pretty good gas mileage. hopefully will buy a newer one in the future.

Love My Car!

suzannefanning, 10/02/2010
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! I have owned and driven two 1995 Buick LeSabres and I actually like my little Century better! I get 30 mpg and drive 50 miles round trip each day to work. The car handles like a dream and even my teenage daughter says she looks like a classy lady!

Good Used car buy

Josh Nixon, 03/06/2016
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Century used with just over 100K on the clock. It is reliable, and has a smooth, floaty ride. Surprisingly, it handles really well for having a soft suspension. Fuel economy is stellar, I regularly see 28 mpg combined. ( 60 percent highway commute) I paid $2100 for it and you can usually find good, low mileage examples because typically the people who buy Buicks are older. The interior is comfortable, but the plastics are low-quality and rattle over bumps. Other than this, the car has no major problems and looks and runs like new. Overall, good value for the money.

A solid car

V8 Man, 07/07/2010
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a slightly used 2003 Century for my wife. It now has 59K miles on it (in 2010) and has not been high maintenance at all. She really likes the car. Beyond routine maintenance, I do not think that it has required any other care. However, it is garage kept and locally driven mostly. The exterior has a timeless quality about it and still looks up-to-date (at least to me). The interior is a mix of cheap materials and upscale features, but overall functional and attractive. Several years ago, we did have a problem with it refusing to crank. Never did determine what the issue was, but it has never reoccurred. For the price, I recommend the car.

Great car

sherman, 01/07/2008
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent mileage, excellent ride. I have had no problems with this car. Oil has been changed at 3000 mile intervals

I'm in love with with the deal of the CENTURY

Mary Stout, 03/01/2017
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

In 2015 I was in desperate need of a car for my 2 teenage daughters I found 2003 Buick century for $1500 some how it became my work car....this car has been the most reliable car I've ever owned and I'm a expert on USED cars in the time I've owed this car the only maintenance I've done is the normal oil changes and new tires that's it it gets the best gas mileage ever at 37 mpg.and I would definitely buy another Buick Century

Low mileage isn't always good

David, 08/15/2017
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased car 2 years ago, only had 36000 miles on it with all service records. Looked like new. After only 6000 miles the #5 fuel injector stuck open which flooded the cylinder with gas causing the compression ring to break. Due to low mileage I decided to have engine completely rebuilt by a very reputable machine shop. Car ran good for about another 6000 miles and started skipping on #3 cylinder. Inspection revealed valve stem had pulled out of head. In shop again and now so I'll have alot more in car than its worth. The 3.1 GM engine is a piece of junk. PERIOD

I'm Amazed at all the good reviews

Steve, 01/26/2010
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My Buick Century has issues that no automobile should have at 80,000 miles. Driver side automatic window does not work. The dash lights do not work (this is not a fuse issue). The tail lights do not work (again - not a fuse). Whole assemblies will need to be purchased for both of the previous problems. The trunks hinges are no longer holding up the trunk lid when opened. Both knobs for climate control broke (the part that slides over the stem simply disintegrated). And what's with these folks who have up to 38mpg gas mileage? I have never had more than 27mpg Highway and 21mpg city. This is a prime example to why GM went bankrupt. I will never buy a domestic made car again.

Love This Car

Scott C., 08/20/2008
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I agree with some comments about the air vents. I hate how they only rotate on one axis. I had my Buick for almost 3 years now, and I haven't done anything to it except changing the tires, brakes, and oil. This car has never let me down! I'd recommend it to anyone.

Still loving it

MB, 11/13/2009
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 12/02 and it has been great. A few bumps in the beginning repairwise but it was covered under warranty. I have not had any problem in the past 5 years. I drive 100 miles RT for work and it is a great ride. Good gas mileage (33 mph hwy) and dependable.

2003 Century

TriciaK, 03/20/2004
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased with my 2003 Century. Comfortable to drive and easy to handle. Good gas mileage and customer service at the dealership where I purchased it.

I Love my Buick

Joe Evans, 06/02/2006
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This has been one of the best cars I have ever had and I have had many cars. I honestly get 30 mpg at highway speeds and I am a big man and this car is very comfortable for me.

My first Buick made it my favorite make!

Adam S., 09/16/2018
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a used car dealership with 104,000 miles on it after trading in the my chevy Corsica due to a lack of legroom( I'm 6 feet even). This car's front seat legroom is perfect for me with the seat all the way back, and the seats are so comfy I think think GM could give laz-e-boy a run for their money if they ever opened a furniture store! I drove it for 3 hours once and didn't need to stretch when I got out! Over the last year and a half, only 3 inexpensive parts have failed, the throttle position sensor, the blower motor, and one wheel bearing. She has front wheel drive and weighs about 3000 pounds, so she handles the snow like a champ. The only time I ever got stuck was going in reverse up a hill in a foot of snow! And one time on a long trip, I did the math after putting gas in it, and I was getting 31 highway mpg! That's 2 more than GM rated it, and the car is 15 years old! Only real downside: it's not a good family or carpooling car. We had to move the seats about 6 inches forward to fit our child seats behind us. Other than that, best car my wife and I have ever owned!

mpg

Jeff, 04/15/2019
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Highway mileage was 32mpg.

Buick A Buy for a Century

John, 05/14/2019
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed owning this car,never had a mechanical problem. Only reason I'm selling this car is i am no longer able to drive. You will have trouble free driving with this Buick Century Sedan.

My MaMa's Buick

msbemidji, 10/21/2014
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited my mom's Buick. I also inherited one big problem...the engine ticks. I thought at first it was just common with that type of car since a couple of other Buicks in the neighborhood tick as well. Found out it was a piston problem, and that there was no fix. I was devastated. SO I'm putting the money down on a new engine and transmission. The body is in just too good of shape to let it go for scrap...plus, it's my mom's car, so it holds special sentimental value as well.

Great Value for less money

john bonfiglio, 07/01/2016
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Buicks are exceptional cars. My last Buick was a 1993 Park Avenue still running great after 258,000 miles with only minimal repairs.

Look out large people

M Neviaser, 04/02/2017
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I am 6 foot 4 and weigh 230 pounds the car is simply not comfortable look out large people

Extremely reliable car

Marvin's Buick, 08/24/2008
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I'm a young college student who got my 2003 Buick Century as a graduation gift. I fell in love with the car's simplicity and the effortless way it drives. The butter knife smooth transmission and quiet engine make for one incredible ride. I now have over 100,000 miles on my Century and aside from having to replace a fuel injector,it has given me no problems whatsoever. I am very disappointed that general motors stopped making this car in 2005. I now have my eyes set on purchasing a Buick Lacrosse which I hope proves to be as good of a car as the Buick Century. Overall the Century offers premium luxury at an affordable price. I would buy a Buick over a Lexus or Mercedes any day.

Great car up till now

Screwed by GM, 12/15/2006
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Buick I've owned. Always liked the comfortable ride and good gas mileage (33 mpg on highway), and ample room. However at 82,000 miles the car developed an antifreeze leak. Took to local Buick delearship and they had to replace lower intake gaskets (8 hr job) and water pump. Total cost over $1100. After searching the web, found other GM car owners with same problems, and most common culprit was the Dexcool antifreeze now used by GM and plastic gaskets that get eaten away by the Dexcool. No wonder Toyota and Honda are selling so many cars. It's called quality and reliability!

Pleasant Surprise

Grateful Son-in-law, 06/13/2009
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I was given this car by my father-in-law, when he was no longer able to drive. Driving the "B" as my wife calls it, has been a pleasant surprise. Dad had put only 33,000 miles on it, maintained it by the book. I use it as a commuter car, primarily suburban to city driving, lot's of traffic lights, little highway. MPG is great, 22-23 city, 33 highway, on a 600 mile round trip. Comfortable after getting acclimated to a "rolling sofa." Plenty of trunk space, easy to service by local mechanic. I would not have even looked at this car, let alone bought one, as I feel it is designed for the more senior driver. Still, I now have a low mileage ride which competes with our 2 VW's in MPG!

Got my money's worth

jg, 07/19/2010
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Very good buy, I had my Buick since 2006 still going maintenance free. Got it with 45,000 miles now it has 129,000 everyday commuter 140 miles a day without 1 Penny putting into it love this car.

Century Hits the Spot

KSGofGA, 09/20/2002
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I rented an '02 Century while traveling. As I drove, I thought to myself that I could really get used to a vehicle like this. I traded in a '98 Grand Marquis and haven't had a day's regret. My Century is comfortable, quiet, smart. It handles predictably and surely. There's plenty of room and support for big guys like me and plenty of trunk space too. Whatever the Buick people did to get this buggy going they ought to do again and again and again. We love this car. Occasionally, it even gets whistles from appreciative onlookers in spite of its generally non-sporty appearance. It's a terrific family sedan.

Excellent Value

sargeantcm, 11/14/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle as an ex-rental 6 months ago ($14000, 13000 miles), and it's been a complete dream. I've had to spend exactly $0.00 thus far on this car except maintenance. Excellent ride quality and more features than I probably need. This is my first Buick, and I'm a third-generation customer. I'll never buy anything else now. I hear it gets alot of bad marks on styling but that's personal preference and it doesn't bother me. I'll take an understated statelier car compared to all those ugly new ones.

General Motors

Harleyman, 07/15/2020
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

what can you say about General Motors but they make a great product 😉 I am a lifelong consumer of many GMC products. My Buick Century runs good with 90,000 miles.

bad ride --bad suspention

William Sharp, 09/06/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I will never buy a Centry again.The rough ride is the worst part.The dealership replaced the struts and gave me a new set of tires to see if this would help the ride.This did not help at all.Don't wast your money on a Centry,it don't ride like the other Buicks.

Valuation of Buick Regal

Leslie, 07/06/2002
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Easy to control, original battery life was 7 year! Smooth riding, comfortable seats and good A/C!

Bland, boring and vanilla

steeplejack, 12/13/2002
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I think the title says it all! Yeah, small glovebox, too high trunk loading, yada yada. But with a 23k sticker, this is my granfather's buick and it is boring.

had car for a week

wolfpack49, 01/15/2013
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Not sure about the car as of yet , just bought it and I needed to buy a car for doctors apointments and such . I have to male a trip from Ohio to New York and hopeing it will hold up. Hope it will last for at least 3 years for I am makeing payments on it and on a verty stick budget . Will keep you all posted .

It needs work

Abigail Miller, 06/20/2016
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The head gaskets are blown, there are few burns in the seats and the floor mats have been taken out. There was once a "system" but no longer there.

Solid, dependable car

pf miller, 06/10/2008
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 1999 Buick Century custom for this 2003 in 2004 ( 22000 miles on this one ...lease car ). Had to replace the rack and pinion in '06. A bit disappointing, but I love this car. Gives a great ride, plus good gas mileage.

Second Buick Century and still counting

jausten, 05/27/2009
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 1996 Buick 3 years ago with over 100,000 on it and had zero problems with it. A few people even came up to me and asked me how I liked the car because they knew it was reliable. That sold me and the car grew on me. My son is going to college and needs a car so I searched long and hard for the same Buick, but newer model for me. Just found it, 2003 $5900 for a 35,000 Limited and felt it was a steal. After having trouble prone Fords, Subarus, Chevrolets, Hundais I know this car is the one for me.

A Fine Ride

zontar, 08/30/2009
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I always enjoyed driving my mother-in-law's Buick, so when the opportunity to purchase one came up I grabbed it. It has a very smooth and powerful ride. This was made very evident when renting other cars. The Buick's ride and comfort puts most other cars to shame.

nice sedan !!!

LoverGreen, 08/04/2002
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I believe this is ideal for many who love kinda simple styles. this is engineered well to work smoothly. its cabin is setup nice for merely housing 04 persons.

Adequate but not compelled to buy

tanman, 08/20/2002
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We-a traditional family of four-spent two weeks traveling up and down the mountains of Colorado. The 12 year old complained constantly about the lack of room (compared to dad's Passat). Fuel economy was remarkable (26-28 mpg) but car felt underpowered. Seats had absolutely no support. Trunk roomy but poorly shaped. Passat wins here,too. This car is probably better than most of its American competitors. The General definitely has the transmission/engine combo well tuned. But if you want a real car, invest elsewhere.

nice

thomas , 08/24/2002
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

very good car for the money nice firm ride very happy so far

Great Car

Frank T., 11/10/2002
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is a realy nice car! I feel like I got my monies worth. I bought a 2002 limited edition. The ride is very smooth and quiet. The leather seats are comfortable. The car seems like it costs a few grand more than I paid for it. If Buick really tried to market this car to all ages, they;d do well.

comfort-finally had to break down

hmaregon, 02/21/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

After renting a few of these on trips I decided I had to have the comfort of a big car but not at a big price. After researching the Century I was impressed with the bang one gets for the buck. It rides like a dream and my 24 mpg in the city [combined driving] is very impressive. Yes, it's not very modern looking but I'm already fantisizing about a LeSabre!

2003 buick centruy

Jan Spidle, 07/17/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We like the vehicle it has been a long time since we drove a sedan so have had a little trouble getting use to it. We would purchase it again. It rides nice and so far no trouble with it. We only have 4,000 miles on it.

Excellent car for the money!

michelemejia, 09/13/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We wanted a car that drove like a Lincoln, but didn't cost a ton of money and this car is a dream to drive. Plenty of leg room. Love the passenger/driver comfort controls. Car has been excellent on gas mileage and is driven over 200 miles per day. I would purchase another one in the future.

Nice vehicle

lngtherapy, 07/20/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2002 dealers demo for $13,000, and it had 11,000 miles on the odometer. You can't get a Toyota Corrolla for that deal, not to mention its allot less of a car than the Buick. I know I owned one. The ride and the comfort speak for themselves, I would by another one in a heartbeat.

Satisfied

Instructor, 09/11/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I like the car and it has pretty good gas mileage. Nothing fancy but good reliability.

Great Car for the $

J Jones, 09/22/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I was skeptical about going back to an American car,but I am very pleased with the Century. The quality of this car is excellent.

The Price is Right!! And So Is The Car..

Jonathan Voye, 10/04/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I recently had a son and wanted something practical for him and my fiance. This car gives you alot for what you pay for. With the Rebates , I Paid about 5000 less than the sticker with 500 down. Great Ride, Nice Powerful engine, and it is a great looking car. To those of you who have not looked at Buick for your families auto needs, Look again. Its everything You need , plus it rates high in all the safety ratings. Good Car, Good Price and Lots of Quality. I grew up on Buicks,its all my father bought...He was A Buick Man...And now, so am I.

Real nice car.

rustangracer, 11/01/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife but some how I've been driving it more than her. I wasn't crazy about it at first but it was the most car we could get for the money. It's looks are just so so but what really bugs me is that I can't go to town without seeing at least three more Buicks just likt it. Maybe I'll add a strip or something. One thing that I love is that I get 27mpg around town.

my first buick

richard meers, 11/01/2003
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

had less than 200 miles on car when it broke down had it towed to dealer and the wrecker broke down with car dealer had car for 4 days was repaired dealer said it was a sensor on crank shaft i don't know about that

2003 Buick Century

JT, 08/16/2005
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The engine is powerful enough to provide good acceleration from a standing start and when passing or merging into traffic. Basic trim and accesories; no frills. Seat adjustments make it easy to get comfortable. Stereo passable. Instrument cluster very functional. Handling OK for a large car, but on very windy roads, it's work to drive. Easy in and out, both front and back.

Bang for your buck!

sparkyandme, 02/07/2004
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 1998 Ford Ranger in for this Buick! Reason was i travel 178 Mi to the VA in Atlanta. I needed somthing with a more comfortable ride! And with my Century i got it! I see alot of rentals complaining about things? I guess they never intented to buy? But so far i have NO complaints! I just got the vehicle and ill keep you posted on further results...

Great overall family car

papawronnie, 06/03/2006
4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. It is very reliable, and it gets 34 miles to the gallon of gas which is a big plus the way gas prices are going these days. It handles very well in all kinds of driving conditions. Nice interior ,comfy.

51050