Used 2010 BMW X5 Diesel Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 BMW X5 Diesel Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (36 reviews )

Great BMW for 70,000, Then It Turns Into a Lemon
By TKG

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Build, quality, road feel were all BMW ultimate driving machine. We bought this car new and checked all the boxes. It was my 11th new BMW, and we were thrilled with it until the check engine light came on repeatedly beginning at around 70,000 miles. Over $2000 in repairs later, our very cooperative dealer has been unable to solve the problem. Their appeal to BMW corporate fell on deaf ears. I drove my last BMW diesel (1987 BMW E34 525td) nearly a million miles, which is what a BMW diesel should easily achieve. But this one has only 77,000 miles and is a lemon outside the lemon law. Our BMW dealer has given up and told us to ignore the check engine light, not acceptable for a $66,000 (2010 price) BMW.

Great used car to buy
By Joseph Liu

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought this car at used with 35000 miles on it in 2014. This is the best used car that I'd ever drive. I owned quite a few luxury cars. X5 35d is the most pleasure for me to drive in road with great milage and power.

X5 35d nightmare
By Maxx

My 2010 x5 diesel such a nightmare Shame on BMW

Good but not good enough
By Bill Hopper Jr

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We bought a BMW diesel X5 and there is a lot of good things too say like room, looks, fuel economy and performance however in the age of information all I can say is SHAME on BMW. With all the so called advances surrounding information systems BMW has missed the mark by more than a country mile. The important variables like oil pressure, coolant temperature and battery voltage level are all missing. This information is all "vital" since they provide valuable insight when a system is "starting" to fail. I prefer and I am sure that many other drivers would prefer to have maintenance done before you are in a location or at a time where help is hours away. Again SHAME on BMW & our salesmen.

Plenty of room and the diesel is great giving us reasonably fuel economy and plenty of power. Also having all wheel drive lets us go in snow areas to ski.

Needs a battery voltmeter, oil pressure and water temperature gauges. Sun visors are too high. Needs a tailgate rated to hold two people. Needs a 6 speed stick for added fun in driving a sports model like this. Also it needs an oil dip stick so we can check the oil level. This is more reliable.

I Love This Car!
By Todd Ramming

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have owned my 2010 BMW X5 35d for 10 months and like the car more now than ever. The car is a pleasure to drive and gets very good mileage (about 29 mpg highway for me) for a large vehicle. The low-end torque of the diesel makes it a fun and safe car to drive. Some people like to hate iDrive, but in 2010 BMW fixed the main issue by adding buttons so that many features can be accessed in one step rather than navigating through menus. This is an amazingly clean diesel. Hold your hand behind the exhaust for a while. There is no soot or smell. Great for driving family and dogs around town and on long trips.

I ordered the heads-up display (projects info on windshield) and the seat with ventilation and "seat massaging". I love both features.

None.