Used 2009 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

A Beauty
By Deb Marquis

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Handsome, very reliable, comfortable, low mileage and very well maintained.

Ultimate Driving Experience
By Roosevelt

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Expect to be taken to new heights

I knew what I was buying......
By stanggid

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Full Disclosure. Ive been in the automotive service and repair industry for almost 40 years. That said, I knew of the maintenance and repair issues these Beasts have. And No, An extended warranty wont cover the large expenses (as they are considered normal wear and tear). I bought the vehicle for a song and a dance. 2nd owner, 109k and beautiful. But i also prepared my own repair fund for it, and will probably gobble that up in no time. These are expensive to repair and maintain properly. Budget $2500.00 a year for it and Enjoy the finest performing suv out there.....especially for the money.

Buyer be aware!
By Kevin

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Overall this was a high performing, satisfying experience. However, the frequency of my trips to the repair shop had both me and my mechanic frustrated, and diminished the positive feeling. The problem with these vehicles is the expense of highly specialized parts and the time needed to repair. If you're not ready to absorb these expenses, do not purchase this car.

Buy one, love it, and be prepared for maintenance
By Eric

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

As a good friend said to me before I bought my first bimmer, they don't break often, but when they do, its expensive. This car is no exception. That being said I buy low priced, high quality cars. I prefer them depreciated from their showroom pricing, but in good condition. We bought our 2009 BMW X5 with 92K on it. In the last 24 months we have spent about 6-7K in repairs. The car does need special therapy. The tight tolerances of the sensors, the tight standards of the brakes, tires, wheel bearings, and glow plugs mean constant mechanic massaging. BUT!!!! When this car is running right(80% of the time) it is simply the best car I have ever driven. Insanely fast, stable, and powerful. With snow tires I have conquered the toughest storms that Colorado can throw at me. Do yourself a favor. Buy one of these cars with 90-100K on it, set aside $6K in repair dollars(that is still half of the original sticker price) and you will own a great car. A really great car.