Used 2007 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Got out just in time.
By Rich

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Our X5 was bought new in February 2007 and regularly maintained thereafter. It was our fourth Bimmer and, probably, our last. The car was comfortable, had good performance, and good looks. The I-drive was OK and there were enough knobs and buttons to help you avoid using it. Panoramic sunroof was great, wished we'd used it more often. The first several years were uneventful, just what you want in a car. The last few, however, were anything but. We got to the point where we were afraid to take it out for more than 100 miles. We spent $3,400 getting a "valley" gasket fixed. That was the beginning, leaks began showing underneath the car. Not only oil but brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc. Our local, well-regarded BMW specialist said to get it steam cleaned top and bottom so they could assess where the leaks were coming from. I read horror stories from other owners about mid four figure repair costs for leaks, one guy spent $8,000! After the steam cleaning our mechanic wouldn't return my phone calls, I think he knew he could only give me very bad news if they put it up on their lift. The steam cleaner said not to drive the car very far after the cleaning because the leaks looked to be numerous. With great relief we traded it in on a new Acura RDX last week after having driven it 98,000 miles. The guys who write the BMW commercials should build the cars because BMW reliability is a thing of the past.

BMW X5 makes my ear cloudy
By Tamara Taylor

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I het cabin pressure build up in mu right ear sometimes when I am driving my BMW X5D.

Great ride, but we've had a few issues.
By Lea Family

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love this car. It drives great in every weather condition. Breaking is awesome, acceleration is moderate, but the steering is pretty restricted. Any BMW feels heavy to drive, which is good, but my Toyota Sequoia has a better turning radius and it's a monster. Also, the rubber material on the handle of the driver and passenger door has melted off from the heat (granted, I live in southern Georgia) and the plastic around the gear shift is ripping. I'm guessing the material just isn't high quality. The car has also given us a few scares on road trips when it starts shutting itself down, and the repairs have been expensive for that. It's unfortunate that our BMW has had so many problems because they are fabulous vehicles! One thing I particularly love about our BMW is the sun roof. If you can get a sun roof, you should. The thing is massive so even the passengers in the backseat can see the sky.

Great Car... But Get A Vehicle Service Contract!
By Owner from Atlanta

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I really enjoyed owning a 2002 X5 for several years, and was looking to upgrade to a newer model. I decided to go with the 2007 which provided a newer body look and technology, and was at the right price point for me. I bought the car from a reputable used dealer, and a hunch decided to purchase the Safe-Guard vehicle service contract -- and thank goodness I did. The car is at an age where some things begin to wear out, such as bushings and gaskets. I took my car in for a service and to diagnose a couple of minor problems and turns out I needed repairs that totaled over $6,000. BUT, the vehicle service contract covered pretty much every single thing. Now my car is in tip top shape, and all I had to pay for was a wheel alignment that wasn't covered. If I hadn't had that VSC, I'd be SCREWED. A great car, but repairs are very expensive. Make sure you research before buying.

Road Warrior
By Doug Johnson

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is the Ultimate Driving Machine in so many respects. I bought this car new in 2007 and still drive it today. It is a fine vehicle and enjoy driving from Southeast Louisiana to the Florida Gulf Coast. It is a dream to drive. The only negative elements thus far is that the touch coating on the steering wheel and on the console bubbled and pealed off. The dealership and BMW should have replaced it in my opinion. Just outside of the extended warranty the all wheel drive
on the right front failed. Fortunately I had purchased a second extended warranty from The Good Sams Club and after my deductable of $500.00 they paid out $1762.00. This was a major job for a failed gasket. Should not have happened at 115,000.00 miles in my opinion. The tailgate fold down plastic piece broke.
poor design with plastic rather than metal. Plastic doesn't hold up in southern heat.
All factors considered the best car that I have ever owned, hands down!