2019 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2019 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Wish it wasn’t just a loaner
By Susan Guthrie

2019 BMW X3 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I took my 2016 X3 in for service and was given the 2019 model for a loaner. I ended up driving it for a week. The exterior design is beautiful! The steering is less stiff than my 2016, which was nice. Accelerated smoothly virtually every time. The radio controls and climate controls have been swapped. This model did not have the heads up display, which I surprisingly missed. I didn’t realize how much I used it. The controls seemed a little jumbled on the display, but I’m sure I would get used to them in time. It also got better gas mileage than mine. All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this vehicle. It drove like a dream!

Finally got my defect 2019 X3
By KK

2019 BMW X3 SUV sDrive30i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After comparing with GLC and Q5, we decided to purchase the 2019 BMW X3 sdrive30i this Summer. Among all the local inventories near the CA bay area, we cannot find one we like. For example, none of them has the option of rear manual side window shades. Thus, we ordered a custom one with the executive package in 8/04. We plan to give up during the long waiting process as we know the Tesla model 3 only takes four weeks to deliver. I watched many review videos of X3, GLC, Q5, and XC60, we still think our custom ordered X3 is the best in terms of technology, interior, and handling.

[10/5] After 7 weeks, we finally got our new BMW X3 (only 3 miles) in 9/22. After I drive a few miles out of the dealership, the system shows TPM malfunction. I have to contact the dealer and scheduled the service last Friday (9/28). They notified me that my car is fixed and ready to pick up this Tuesday. Unfortunately, the TPM malfunction shows again this Wednesday. I have to return the car to the service center again. I thought the TPM malfunction should be easy to fix, but they still do not know how to fix the problem. What they did is just a simple reset. But, they even did not fully reset as the progress bar will always be stuck with no tire pressure results. They just simply thought the TPM malfunction message is gone! I messaged the service center, they told me that they already send the diagnostic message to BMW North America, but they have not got any reply and I have to wait until next week. I was trying to call BMW hotline and customer relations 10/5 around 4 PM PST. No one answers the call. From 8/4 to now, I still cannot drive my new X3 with my family at the weekend after 9 weeks. This is really a frustrating experience. It is also very hard for me to send and pick the car over 50 miles away to the dealer during work days. I really doubt how BMW conduct the quality check. I will ask my friends to stay away from BMW if they really need a premium experience.

[10/10 update] I finally got my X3 back from the service center. Hopefully, the TPM malfunction would not show again. What I really impressed is my sales. He helped me throughout the process and pushed their service department. He even arranges someone to drive this car back to me. In comparison, I called the BMW customer relations Monday morning and I do not think they really care about the experience of the customer. One guy simply called back Tuesday morning at 8 AM PST. I missed the call, but I did call back and leave a voice message. Unfortunately, I did not got any reply.

Although I have some frustrating experience with BMW, I do like the new BMW X3. I have the chance to drive the 2018 BMW X1 and 2018 BMW 330i as the loaner car. The high-quality feel of BMW X3 is way better than X1 and 330i. Even the key of the BMW X3 is much better than X1 (looks the same but the weight is different) and 330i. I think the handling, noise, road quality, interior quality, technology and features of X3 is much better than other vehicles in the similar price range.

Great combination of performance and comfort
By Fan

2019 BMW X3 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We cross shopped the X3 against Audi Q5, Lexus NX, and Acura RDX. The X3 wasn’t the best value, but a clear winner in terms of performance, comfort, and technology.

We’ve been in the Lexus family for many years, but the new NX was disappointing. The car was Lexus smooth and great value, but the engine was the slowest of the bunch and the 6speed was ancient. The X3 performs much better and iDrive is years ahead of Lexus navigation.

The new RDX looked impressive on paper but Acura is playing catch-up in segment. Despite having a powerful engine, great interior materials, and awesome sound system, our tester had loose trim and panel gap issues. The drivetrain also didn’t feel as refined as the BMW.

The Audi Q5 was a strong contender, and the car had the best interior and smoothest ride. However, we just couldn’t warm up to the exterior redesign. There has also been many quality complains in the forums since they moved production to Mexico, so we decided to skip.