Used 2014 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Great for the sports we enjoy
By Judie Bair

2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We have a double kayak and we love the height and ease of loading and unloading. Previous 2002 X5 was taller, but the same length. We also tow our utility trailer and trailerable sail boat with it and launching sail boat is so easy even on steep ramps. We couldn't be happier.

Never again, costly lesson learned.
By Sad Panda

2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought this car used it had 49k miles on it so 1k left on warranty. Chose to purchase a 3rd party warranty (mistake) to cover my car for another 2 years as BMW wanted $2.5k to cover it for an additional 36 months. In hind sight this would have been a spectacular deal. As my previous cars have all been Japanese I've never really had to do anything other then tire/oil and brakes, which is why I chose to pass on BMW's offer. The first week the service engine soon light comes on so I take it over to the BMW dealer as it's still covered. They tell me oh it's just your brake pad sensor thinks you need new brakes. The service guy sticks his hands in the brakes and feels the rotors and says, naw you're good for awhile, the sensor will reset. Couple days later another service indicator comes on, take it back to BMW and this time it's something about pollution control. BMW fixes it and off I go. About six months after this we're at ~ 51k miles, I start smelling burning antifreeze and oil. Take it into my local import mechanic who I trust and have a good relationship with. They tell me my head gasket is bad and some hose related to the turbo need replacing. $1600 dollars later and I'm driving again. Since I'm tired of the brake pad nag, I decide to get all new brakes $650 more I'm ok with this as brakes are a normal wear item. At the moment I'm two years into owning this and have more issues I need to address before I trade this in for something that is well engineered. The tail gate has stopped opening, you tug on the handle and nothing happens, that new this week. Also the automatic engine start stop feature has started putting the car in park after shutting the engine off. First time it happened it was exciting as I was at a stoplight and pushing the gas and the engine was just rev'ing. As to trading this in, checking the various sites related to resale value.. this thing, BMW X3 has lost more value then any other BMW of it's generation. It's a nice driver and fun, but cost of ownership is not worth it.

We Won't Buy Another BMW
By Mike Krembs

2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Purchased our 2014 BMW X3 28i as a certified used car at our local BMW dealer. It had just come off of a 3-year lease with its previous owner. It drove and handled well. Materials and workmanship were excellent. Ride was more sporty than comfortable, but not unexpected with a BMW. But we were extremely upset with the value of our purchase. Got multiple "low tire pressure" warnings, but the dealer just said that was typical in the winter. Got multiple warnings that the battery was failing to charge; again, the dealer attributed that to cold weather and advised us to keep the car on a trickle charger overnight in our garage. When the car needed routine oil change, local dealer couldn't get me in for 8 days! And if I had needed a loaner car, I would have had to wait over two weeks. Not exactly what we had in mind for "luxury car" service! Finally, the car doesn't hold its resale value. We bought a 3-year old vehicle, thinking the previous owner had absorbed the bulk of its depreciation. 15 months later this X3 lost $14,000 more of its value. We traded it for a new model of a different brand, and never even thought for a moment about getting another BMW.

Awesome Sporty Mom who has it all Car!
By Neeka

2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Love it, got red so it’s fun sporty and a luxury car!

Peppy ride and Comfort
By Georges Pelpel

2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The X3 is a pleasure to drive, very responsive yet sturdy and quiet. I love the iDrive controller and the Heads Up display. Firm yet comfortable seats.