Used 2014 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews

2014 BMW X3

Pros
Cons

Great Compromise

poppy42, 08/30/2014
xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

My wife wanted a mid size SUV which was NOT front wheel drive or front wheel biased. This pretty much directed us to Audi Q5, BMW X3and Mercedes GLK350. Each had its strong points, but the BMW X3 had the most useable space and no real negatives. We're very happy with our decision. Ours was pretty well optioned and had the highest sticker price of the 3, but with USAA and BMW incentives, wound up the least expensive. The base engine has plenty of zip and is reasonably fuel efficient (not quite up to EPA estimates, but still not bad). It handles nicely on the road. If I did not drive a Mercedes E350 Sport, I'm sure I would be more effusive in my praise of the X3. After 2-1/2 years, my original review is still accurate. I have never had to take the car to the dealership except for routine maintenance. My wife is the principle driver and she loves the car--excellent visibility, crisp handling, super functionality. She uses the car typically as a "grocery getter", but on 4 trips of about 500 mi. each, the car performed flawlessly. We have had no second thoughts about this purchase. Two more years have passed and two more trips to the dealership for routine maintenance and two more trips to the beach. Our X3 has served us well. We've had the car for 5-1/2 years now and only one unscheduled trip for maintenance which was covered by a recall warranty. We also replaced the battery at a cost of $400.00. My wife has a special birthday coming up and a new car has been mentioned (sorta). I have looked again at Audi Q5, BWM X3, and Mercedes GLC300. There have been no significant improvements to any of these cars. Some of the new passive safety features and technology are enticing, but not worth the $30,000+ it would cost to replace the 2014 X3.

Plenty of power and plenty of fun.

okruss@sbcglobal.net, 04/15/2016
xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I recently bought a loaded, low-mileage, certified pre-owned 2014 X3 with the 4 cylinder turbo engine. I was concerned that the 4 cylinder engine would be short on performance. But, that is not the case at all. The car gets up and goes, especially when it's in Sport mode. You don't need the bigger 6 cylinder engine to have fun in this vehicle. I have taken my X3 up into the mountains along with 2 passengers and luggage. It went up the mountain without breaking a sweat. The turbo powered engine along with the 8-speed transmission works flawlessly and always keeps the X3 it's toes. Plus, the handling is amazing. I have owned some sporty coupes over the years, and this X3 feels just as sporty as any on them. I love it!

Love averything but the tires

C Miles, 08/04/2016
xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had this X3 for 2 years and love everything about it except the "run flat" nitrogen filled tires. Twice a year ALL my tires show low tire warning with the temperature change. I live 25 miles form the dealership, so it is a little disconcerting. The dealership ALWAYS takes care of it timely as long as they are open. That is my only complaint on the entire car. I love the comfort and convenience of everything on the inside. The headlights are amazing as I live outside the city and drive on long roads that I need to see the sides of the roads for deer etc, and a long way in front for any hazards. The mileage is great for the size of the engine I chose, which I love. Great pickup and great handling.

BMW X3 A Jolly little toy for adults

Frenchy, 12/04/2016
xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought my X3 xdrive28i 3 years ago and drove it about 13 000/year. This car is a real pleasure to drive every morning to work. It takes away the boredom of the drive to work early every morning I work about 25 miles away and my ride takes about 35 mn so I drive quite a lot. I used to dread that drive but this car made my mornings much more fun. I drive a mixed mileage on the highway and normal roads. The drive on the highway is a real breeze. I drive it on the comfort mode and the car has plenty enough of pick up to pass cars without any problems even at high speed. I am very surprised by the amount of power this little 4 cylinders has even when I go over 80 mile per hour. You can actually have a lot more pick up by switching it to the sport mode, which has great acceleration power, when you merge or want to change lanes fast. This car is a lot of fun to drive. If you are lucky enough to live in a region with back roads, you can have a lot of fun to drive it. I live in PA and the car is great for hills and turns on tight roads. It grips the road. In one word, it drives fantastic. I took 2 trip to South Carolina with it and it drove fantastic. The interior is simple but looks great. I have the special lights on it and good God, they are amazing at night. The car also has an amazing break system that saved me a few times from hitting dear at night. The car all wheel drive is great on the snow. I used to have a Subaru Outback and I think this car is better on the snow. It comes with free maintenance for 4 years. I never paid anything until now except my inspection every year and a set of tires. Now for the negative. Not much to say the truth. The tires/wheels are the only thing I am having a problem with. In the winter, the pressure on the tires can vary quite a lot depending on the temperature. My dash board showed a few times a low pressure on the tires. I had to go to my gas station a few times in the winter to put air in my tires. I have Pirelli zero all weather run flat tires on this car and get ready to spend at least $350 to $400 per tire when you change them. They don't last long either (25 000 miles at most) but they are silent and grip the road. I guess this is the price to pay for performance tires and the security of run flat tires, but you can install normal tires that will cost a fraction of these if you prefer. The car does not have a spare wheel in case of a flat but BMW has free 24h road assistance included. Most insurances do too. My insurance went up by about $30/month when I switched from my Subaru Outback to this car too. The gas mileage is not great (21 miles at most per gallon on the highway) so I use the eco mode when I drive in the city (it does not save you much anyway). It shuts down the engine when the car stops which I like (you don't have to use this if you don't want to). The options are expensive and the price of the car can go up in a hurry. The head lights are well worth it though and I like the GPS on it once you know how to use it. The ondrive system is great (it links my I-phone 6 through bluetooth to my music and pandora automatically when you start the car without having to do anything but not to your e-mail. BMW does not allow texting and e-mailing while driving). The music system is not fantastic unless you get the upgrade (12 speakers) which is amazing and worth the money if you like to listen to music (loud and clear). That is the only regret on my car. I should have got this cause when I got into another model which had it, what a difference it was. Overall, this is a fantastic car. I have no regret about this car. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. This was the best present I ever bought myself for Christmas. Not cheap but if you have the means, you can't go wrong. My car is now out of warranty. 4.5 years old. Still nothing bad to say about it. No problems whatsoever for now. Still love this car which is pretty rare after such a period of time. No rust or other problems. Changed the brakes once (covered by warranty) and did all the oil changes prescribed. The car is still running like a Swiss watch.

After 5 BMWs this one was my last

Mr B, 01/03/2017
xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I want to start by saying this was a lease car and i am glad it was a lease i could walk away from. i have had 5 other BMWs before this and with this and My 650 convertible i have switched to Lexus. As far as reliability goes, i never had a problem. it always started and stopped, and ran like it should. My problems were the crazy electronics and dealer handling. 1st problem--it has automatic rain sensing wipers, but unlike other cars with automatic wipers, you have to manually turn them on every time so they will work. so they should be called manual wipers. 2nd problem--the parking sensors have to be manually turned on every time when parking. they automatically turn on when backing up, but if you are parking they don't come on unless you turn them on every time. if you are used to sensors that are automatic on other makes of cars, you can hit something thinking the sensors are working when they are not. 3rd problem. the tire pressure monitors freak out with any change of temperature and when they do, you have to take it to the dealer to get them to reset it(this happens about once every week in oklahoma or so). you will get sick of going to the dealer because you cant reset it yourself and it wont let you go into sport mode with a tire error. it also over rides the backup camera and you can be backing up and the camera will shut off to warn you about the tires which can lead to an accident. 4th problem. 5th problem--while the phone connects automatically (with a long delay) to the car, it often wont connect the audio so you have to go in every time to manually turn it on. this is about 5 screens into a menu. this occurs about 90% of the time 6th problem. the audio never remembers where you left it tuned. it will start up in stations i never listen to or settings that i don't use. i bought it new so these are not the previous owners settings. 7th problem the car on several occasions opened all the windows and sunroof over night(twice when it rained) for no reason. not a pleasant thing to wake up to. 8th problem--the tailgate can be opened on the remote while in drive. if you put a key in your pocket or purse and it bumps the tailgate button, it can open on you while driving. this has happened numerous times at stoplights and drive-thrus and will freak you out and make you get out of the car to shut it manually as a risk of getting run over at a stop light. 9th problem--the run flat tires cannot be fixed, only replaced. they also wear out extremely fast on the X3 you will get about 25k miles before they have to be replaced. the 650 only gets 15k miles between replacements. you have no spare or place to store one so switching to better tires that are not run flats leave you with no spare if you do get a flat 10th problem too many things are settings in the i-drive system. the system is cumbersome and very menu heavy and not intuitive. you have to go through menu after menu when it would be better to have more things on one page and less page changing. 11th problem you have to use the i drive button to accept terms and conditions every time you start the car if you want to use anything on the nav screen. starting my car is a process. i have to hit ok to the disclaimer that will pop up every time i start the car. then wait for the tire pressure monitor warning to come on so i can clear that screen, then i have to go 5 screens into the radio menu to turn the audio from my phone back on(it doesn't work every time and sometimes i have to switch back and forth between radio and bluetooth several times for it to switch on. then i am ready to drive. i have timed this and it takes about 2.5 minutes on average. if you don't think this is a long time try waiting in your car for 2.5 minutes while having a someone honking at at you because he wants your parking space 12th problem--when i first got the car i could turn the car off and it would automatically put the car in park for me. after a software upgrade from the dealer, the car will freak out if i don't place it in park before i turn the engine off. 13th problem. when locking the door from the outside touch button, it takes about 15 seconds to actually lock. you will have to stand with the car to make sure it locks before you walk off and i end up hitting the button about 20 times before it actually locks the doors. there is no delay if i use the remote, but then i have to dig it out of my pocket and that defeats the purpouse of a key fob 14th problem is with the dealer in Oklahoma City. if i have a problem, there is a week delay to bring the car in to get it worked on. if i want the free rental car they offer, there is a 2 week delay to bring the car in for servicing. My local lexus dealer can get me in the same day with a rental car 15th problem. while hey claim everyting is included in the warranty including brakes and oilchanges, they dont include alignment, which had to be done twice