2018 BMW X1 Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 BMW X1 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

Tell others to Bite Mein Wagen!
By Anand K

2018 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Entering a stereotypical male mid-life crisis, it was time for some major car- (and soul-) searching, whereby I decided to replace my incumbent car, a 2-door Honda Accord, with something equally sporty... and to satisfy that crisis knowing that my first replacement choice (a Mustang!) wasn't going to be practical given my town's winters and my uh..potential future responsibilities. So I ventured for a sporty compact AWD crossover -- with a badge even better than the Mustang's. After a pathological amount of online research, the X1 fit my bill. As a major mid-life crisis plus, it sits lower to the ground than its competitors (I shafted the otherwise much faster and sportier Acura RDX because it made me feel like a complete soccer dad). As far as price, the sticker might shock you when you try and equip it with Honda/Acura-spec tech, but unlike the former, BMW offers massive incentives which saved me more than 20% the price of the vehicle. Handling, gas mileage, and acceleration are all similar to or better than my old 4-cylinder Accord. The only thing I miss is the fact I went from a midsize (borderline large) car into a subcompact - You can feel the squeeze into the smaller seats, but that comes with the territory of owning a Bimmer without breaking the bank (or for that matter, feeling like a soccer dad).

What a kick to drive!
By Rickey

2018 BMW X1 sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

A lot of fun to drive around town or on windy roads. Turbo has quick power and gas mileage is great also. Interior very rich and refined. It is a pleasant change from a regular car. It is stylish, plenty of cargo space and very roomy interior. I like the orange ambient lighting but agree with a previous owner more available colors would have been nice other than white. The maintenance warranty at 10,000 miles did not cover rotating the tires which I thought was kind of cheap for a classy BMW. Also I guess they reprogrammed the computer and the monitor does not turn off like it did before I took it in for maintenance. No big deal. The automatic tailgate open with the foot took some getting use to but after realizing it was how fast you brought your foot back and not kicking it under the SUV it became easier. I like the extra storage under the cargo floor too. Nice place to keep jumper cables and tool box out of sight. Overall, I am extremely pleased with my new SAV, SUV, whatever!

Awful Experience since the beginning
By Rachelle

2018 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I came from being a Mercedes Benz owner to leasing a BMW. I never once had one issue with my MB. Since starting my lease with a brand new BMW X1 I have had issue after issue and the BMW Service department can never find anything wrong. However my trunk opens by itself all the time (just happened again yesterday). Also sometimes the car makes noises that aren't normal. It seems to be falling apart at less than 9,000 miles. The BMW brand logo on the FRONT of the suv is also chipping away. Wow I am sooooo disappointed in this piece of junk. I have called the BMW service department and have been called back saying they would do something but then never heard anything else. Its been over a week and I called again and was taken to voicemail, left a message and .......still guess what .....never was called back. I think they are worried about letting me out of my lease BUT all I want is a car that works!

Zippy SUV
By Susan B.

2018 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Went from a smooth riding Lexus sedan to X1 and I love it. Call it mid-life crisis or whatever...but wanted to drive a fun, sportier car with cargo room and decided on the BMW X1 after researching several other cars in this class. The interior is roomy enough, cargo space is great and I love that it"s not bulky like many other SUV's. Has great power and handles well. One con, if you want to call it a con - the hands free entry is a bit slow to react compared to the Lexus, but I'm sure I'll get used to it - only had it for 2 weeks. All in all, a really cool SUV!

Owner for 1 month
By Dr. Jacqueline Williams

2018 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've owned my new 2018 X1 for exactly one month. I basically enjoy it, however the first week I got a very bad burn on my leg from the exhaust pipe as I was trying to place items in my trunk. Additionally the bumper get extremely hot, as if there is an over heating issue. Needless to say as a result of the burn and overheating I am taking my one month old car into the dealer tomorrow to check on this problem. Overall I enjoy my car, and hope the check up will reveal the origination of the overheating issues.