Used 2019 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used 5 Series for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

First class express

49mile driver, 07/13/2019
540i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Fast, smooth, roomy, understated and possessing a proper option list for a car of this class. After a year with the 540i I can say my deepest satisfaction driving this car is on the open road or loaded with family. Its powerful engine provides nearly silent thrust on demand, and its stable suspension and predictable steering effectively mask what is a big heavy car. You want nimble, buy a 3-series. You want opulence, get a 7. This 5 occupies a spot where sedan utility is dressed in its most luxurious form, exuding confidence, strength and capability. The tech is amazing; my phone connects easily, the car reads messages to me and I speak my response; the seats and lighting are wonderfully customizable and the driving aids have varying levels of sensitivity or can be turned off completely. I chose the M Sport package because I do attack twisty roads from time to time, which the car does without complaint. Again, it's no 3 series but it is more than willing to chase one down a mountain road. On the freeway It is stately and quiet, eating up miles like a baleen whale swimming through a field of krill. I chose the options for soft-close automatic doors and massaging seats, which adds another layer of icing to this excellent cake. What don't I like? The automatic headlights don't come on in foggy daylight conditions. The trunk can't be closed from inside the car. Options are expensive. What is priceless? Driving friends home after an evening out and having no one eager to leave the car when we arrive at their door. Update January 20 2020: The trunk can be closed from inside the car by lifting (and holding) the switch with the engine running. I added the M Performance Sound and Power Kit, resulting in a marked increase in giddyap and a sufficiently throaty exhaust note at startup and idle. Nearly 20K on the car and there have been only two issues: a recurring passenger restraint alert and a repeated warning of low tire pressure. Both were addressed and resolved by the dealer. I also asked for and received a software update to the media system and CarPlay, which enhanced the connection with my phone. This remains an athletic, comfortable and luxurious big sedan that I would buy again. Update July 2020: Still love the car. I drive in standard Sport mode most of the time. Perhaps due to supply issues in our new COVID world, BMW has reduced the set of options available at this time for the car. If you are ordering one, load it up. Update January 2021: Replaced my third run-flat tire due to road hazards. They aren't cheap, the space the spare tire takes up in the trunk is unacceptable. No major issues. I remain a fan of this car.

After 5 months...

bkalka, 06/03/2019
540i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I almost skipped this edition (G30) of the 5-series, because I wasn't thrilled with the conservative design. After 5 months of driving this, I'm blown away..the ride quality with the 540i is just...perfect, especially compared to the bulky previous generation (F10). The build quality is spot-on, the ergonomics are ideal, and the design aesthetic actually emerges more over time. Bravo, BMW.

Love this 540i

Hawk94, 04/28/2019
540i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Very happy to own this car, upgraded from 2010 528i, can’t stop taking it out for driving, very luxurious interior, nice touch screen, a bit confused with touch screen controls with Apple CarPlay mixed-in at beginning (not able to make a one-push call from steering column call button, but must use touch screen to make a call?), seats are very comfortable giving plenty of support to back, very slight body roll, soft and quiet ride, steering is direct and precise, acceleration is fast, transmission is buttery smooth, gas mileage is good for such a big car, mixed driving city and hwy at 25mpg, would like to have more storage space at door panel, overall, very pleased to own this car. Still in love affair with this 5er after more than a year.

Safety over Style

T L Harris, 04/28/2019
540i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My BMW 540i is a safety beast! I wanted and got every safety feature that BMW currently has available. I got the Sandstone Blue which is gorgeous. It is so easy to use the instruments. If the front seats are all the way back (you must be over 6'2") the back seat passenger has enough room not to feel cramped. When the seats are more reasonable, it is luxorous. I just feel Safe. I had to get out of a situation and without putting it in Sport mode, I excellerated out of the traffic cluster. The price is NOT the best, but for my safety and my families, how can you put a price on either.

The good bad and the ugly

Florida Car, 09/15/2019
540i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased my 2019 540I in June. The power and handling is amazing. I had a 2017 Mercedes E 300 which only barely had adequate power. The ride is very comfortable. I have had issues with the back up camera. It works about 75% of the time. The dealer cannot find anything wrong with it. Even after I showed them a video of it not working. There is a message on the dashboard that says Emergency call system malfunction. This blocks out all other information from being displayed including the odometer. The dealer said this is a battery that is back ordered in Germany. They have no idea how long it will take until they will get it. I am trading this car in by the end of the year. I will probably get another Mercedes with a bigger engine.