Used 2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

I'm from Detroit, and i love this car
By Matt

2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

In the past, I have been dissuaded from buying a BMW because of connotations of being expensive to buy new (or used), costly to repair, and unreliable in general. Now that ive owned a used one for 3 years now, i attribute this incorrect information to growing up and living Detroit. I have a 328i with all the options and i gotta say it is Awesome. We got a great price on it. When it needs service, which we've had a couple oil services, brake service, and some very minor other recommended preventative services, we got prices comparable to our other cars that are manufactured in Japan or USA. These were all quoted at the dealer to be way too expensive. However, we are very lucky to have found a garage that services BMWs for 1/3 the price of tbe dealer. We just paid off the loan, and i gotta say that every month i paid for this car gave me a second to reflect on our purchase, and i have never had one regret. This is by far the second best car ive ever owned ( the first best was a 1990 Toyota Pickup with 300,000 miles, and super cheap to repair). It has 83,000 miles on it with no issues. Its very comfortable. It is very fun to drive. It looks cool. Im thrilled to have so many options. Going from my 90 Toyota Pickup w roll-down windows to the BMW is like entering a spaceship. The only issues we've had with it is the windshield wiper fluid pump getting clogged and the sunroof weather stripping seal coming off. I dont consider this a big deal at all. This may be the last BMW we buy only because of the gas mileage, but we are thrilled to own this car now and will do our best to keep it for the life of the vehicle, maybe even 300,000 miles.

Drives Like a Dream
By Terry Dorr

2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Reasonably priced vehicle that drives like a dream. However, the car's blind spots create a lack of visibility that can be scary when I forget to take extra care to turn and look, not just rely on my mirrors. Many of the electronics are unnecessarily duplicated, which I found annoying. Having problems with engine light, parking lights and door locks, all because of electrical issues. Still, when you step on the gas or the brakes, take a curve or pass another car, you can trust that you will get where you're going with ease.

Extremely disappointed
By Gordo

2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second BMW; my first was a MY 2006 325i that I bought new. This time I decided to get a CPO 2012 328i. I have had the car for about 45 days; it has been in the shop for 15 of those days. It needed: A NEW TIMING BELT (after I was told that the blender-like noise the engine was making was "normal" until I took it back to the dealer to investigate it further), an new window regulator, a new seat belt latch, re-charged AC, and crack in the instrument panel plastic covering the instruments. A week later I had to take it BACK because the steering wheel was making a load groaning noise when turned, and the stereo intermittently recognizes that I have a CD in the player or my iPhone connected to the USB. Sometimes I have to go without music on the wonderful upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo until the system decides to reset itself. The dealership still cannot diagnose this issue.

Also, the only way to drive this car is to leave it in "Sport" mode. The default "Comfort" mode makes the car feel like a 1980's-era Cadillac-all floaty and bouncy on the highway. Steering and handling are tops in Sport mode, though.

Overall I'm disappointed in the quality. I had the 2006 325i for 5 years, and had ZERO issues other than the sunroof not wanting to close from time to time. I put 102,000 miles on it and only did basic maintenance-no unexpected warranty visits. Thank tha LAWD I got the extended warranty with this CPO (Certified Piece Of _____). I had a Mercedes C300 and Volvo S60 in the interim of the BMW's and getting this car-sad to say, I think I may go back to either one of them.

Beautiful car inside and out, though.

Base suspension is awful
By danmoch

2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just returned my 2012 328i with around 30,000 miles at the end of a 3 year lease. Although the 2.0 liter twin scroll turbo engine has plenty of power and the 8 spd automatic transmission was great, the base suspension was so soft and unsettled that just driving the car made me nauseated. This was my 6th BMW and suspension wise, the worst. Early on in the lease period, I changed to sport springs which made a big improvement in handling. Near the end of the lease, I changed back to the OEM springs and couldn't wait to return the car.

Responsive engine and transmission. Great gas mileage, especially on long trips. I averaged 34 MPG between SF Bay Area and the Tahoe basin round trip, even more than the EPA estimate.

The base suspension needed improving badly. Stiffer, progressive springs and better dampers would go a long way. The adjustable sport suspension might be better. Base seats lack lumbar support, and the synthetic material feels cheaper than Mercedes' synthetic.

Turbo Out at 47K Miles
By 328iguy1

2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall I love this car but, there have been numerous issues over the last two years; the brake warning light came on several times, even though there was nothing wrong with the brakes; I had a flat tire and drove around for about two weeks on it because the tire pressure warning light doesn't differentiate between flat and low pressure (it has run flats, and the tire pressure waring light comes on all the time, especially in cold weather so I usually ignore it); last but not least the turbo went out at 47K miles, and it took more than 30 days for the dealer to fix it because a part was on back order in Germany. So as much as I love driving this car, I think I am going to be trading it in.