Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 204 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Beautiful black bimmer
By Lisa Herndon

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Amazing handling, performance, fast, agile, dependable and it turns heads.

Two Years Into Ownership...
By Kendall

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2000 BMW 328i 4DR almost two years ago. I paid too much for the car, paying $5,500 and not noticing the plethora of problems it had. Immediately I needed front brake pads, rotors and sensors, oil filter housing, valve cover gasket, and oil pan gasket just to stop the oil leaks. Put on a new cabin air filter because there was not one on it already somehow. Replaced a $200 battery and had to get the wiring in my tail lights redone which was over $500 at Reliable BMW, the wires had frayed and severed from the socket. Coolant expansion tank sensor went out, so I replaced the coolant reservoir for about $60, and had to replace a return air hose and intake sensor boot for $100. Now, it needs tie rods and rear brakes, and both front window motors(neither of them roll up after being rolled down), and a lot of attention to the interior. I have owned two of these cars (both E46) and the headliners in both were atrocious. That being said, I do love this car. It's quick and powerful, comfortable and spacious as long as you're not six feet tall like my friends. It IS a reliable car if it is well taken care of, just do not be tricked by someone offering you $3,000 trade-in-value for your less than okay Camry... I have always been a BMW enthusiast and love driving the ultimate driving machine. That said, it is a 16 year old vehicle with lots of miles, but I do recommend it to people wanting to experience German ingenuity.

I have 240,000 miles.
By Jason

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Check the rear subframe. Have a mechanic check it. I had some cracks and had to get a plate welded in for reinforcement kit. At the same time I added a 3.46 open differential out of an automatic 323i. I have a 5 speed 328i. I can now pull on s2000's and it's not annoying on the highway. This car still gets looks with some decent rims (Rial Salerno concave rim). Other than doing some basic repairs like an alternator and cooling system this car is amazing. Never left me stranded but one time.. the accessory belt broke but that was around 190k and my fault for not replacing it. Buy this car. Love this car.

16 years later...
By rob f

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

Bought this from my daughter for next to nothing because it had NO trade in value. It was always breaking on her and not reliable. It is the same with me. 16 years , 111,003 miles today and has another 4000.00 dollar repair on the horizon. I am convinced nothing from germany is worth owning after 2 years. (Except a Porsche, which i also spend too much on but enjoy) So it will leave our family and end our relationship with German cars. Repair bills ARE a factor to consider.
Before I traded this car off, I fixed it, still got nothing for it on trade. Never a Mercedes or BMW.

money pit
By terri

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Convertible

i drove the 324ci for close to 2 years. The repair bills emptied my bank account. I replaced timing belt, brakes, rotors, tune up air conditioner, misfiring twice, radiator, tie rod... The list keeps growing. I finally had to draw the line when the trunk started flooding and I had to vacuum over a foot of water out from under the spare tire. I "traded "it for another car. The value was next to nothing and I spend my savings fixing this awful car. Huge regret and now broke.