Used 2004 Audi S4 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Audi taught me about German Engineering
By Mark

2004 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

First the good things. The car looks great, sounds great, drives very well, and is a lot of fun...when it's working. It is surprisingly spacious for a convertible. It's powerful but because it's heavy, it rather needs to be...but it accelerates well. I think it should be all these good things, because it was the most expensive car I've ever bought, and not my first convertible. I should have listened to friends right after I bought mine - they got a lemon and swore "Audi - never again." For me it's also been, by far, the most trouble of any car I've ever bought. I saw the problem coming: during warranty period, a small headliner strap disconnected from the convertible top frame - it kept a section of headliner folding with the top. A bit of superglue might have fixed that. But no, the official service required a $1000 headliner replacement. Just after warranty expired, my nice radio had trouble - the antenna broke. Simple fix, right? A $1000 replacement - much of the interior of the car needed removal to replace it. Then, my AC went out. After numerous trips to the dealer to add coolant, add fluorescent dye to find a leak: the compressor needed replacement. Turns out, that's not a minor thing in an Audi. The dealer quoted $6000. I didn't do it, so they worked around and "disabled the compressor". Many more small things went out - like the headlight washer system blew a tiny cap - water everywhere; of course they don't sell the caps, only the full $200/light washer. That's small for Audi. Recently I started hearing a noise near the engine and took it for diagnosis: $700 just to remove enough for inspection (from a 3rd party, probably a good price). Something was throwing bolts out of the engine area! It turns out, now the broken compressor was disintegrating, and was ready to take out other things too. So, thousands more, now, forced to even keep the car driveable, and all this on a car with less than 62K miles on it. AUDI: Never again.

Joy of S4
By kc0pah

2004 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Simply a joy to own and to drive. Handles every bit as well as the 2001 TT it replaced, and has 2.5 times the raw power. Wife's MB-CLK430 not built as well nor does it have the smooth power delivery. The S4 out corners and out powers it in head to head spirited driving.

Quattro, there is no substitute

More aggressive looks

This Cab is perfect!!
By S4 CAB in Cali

2004 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned the cabriolet for a month now and I must say that it has far surpassed my expectations. The inside of the cabin is just beautiful. The car gets long glances all the time - on the highway, in parking lots, etc. Once you tune the sound system properly, it sounds amazing (the subpar sound had me worried for a while). Power is superb and visibility is not that bad for a Cab. Mileage can be poor if your foot is made of lead, but easy acceleration brings it back to average. But where's the fun in that!!!

Acceleration, interior cabin (especially at night). Exterior styling. Just about everything.

Mileage.

yessir that's my baby
By Sharon

2004 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Sometimes I believe my S4 leaves the road and soars through the air! It glides around corners, stops on a dime and is always willing to go faster than I am. It is beautiful and I still get excited everytime I slip in behind the wheel. Taking the top down on the freeway is wonderful. Sometimes I feel guilty about the as milage...but, well, what can I say, I'm in LOVE!

S4 Cab,,,, the best of all worlds!
By tmS4cab

Amazing looks, performance, comfort,
safety, room for 4 real people, top-
down fun and .... all-wheel drive! The
6 spd. stick is precise with crisp,
short throws. Keeping engine rpms
below 4500 in this break-in period, but
there is a ton of torque on hand in any
gear! Can't wait to "air it out".
Ordered the car back in January and
took delivery *exactly* when expected.
The Light Silver Alcantra interior is
rich and luxurious and contrasts
against the Black trim beautifully.
Chose the optional Carbon-Fiber trim
rather than the dark brown walnut.
Ordered mine Moro (dark) Blue with
matching Blue top. Car feels *very*
solid, hugging the road.

Powerful V-8, tons of torque. Crisp, precise 6 spd. True throaty exhaust note. Extremely fun-to-drive. Solid feel, safe, comfortable. Classy looks... top-up or top-down. Room for 4. Quattro.. nothing beats all-wheel drive. All weather/ all season vehicle. Superb quality and materials.

Better cupholder (needs to be deeper).