Used 1999 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Not Audi's best work.
By Hans W

1999 Audi A6 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

First, lets just get the bad stuff out of the way. I have been a mechanic for 30 years, and there are some things that were done with this car that makes me think it was designed and assembled by retards. The compartment aft of the engine (where battery is) fills up to the top with water and i guess Audi never thought that anything like leaves or dirt might just get in a clog those microscopic drain hole in that compartment, had the problem 3 times, finally got pissed to the point taking a chance and drilling a 1" hole in the bottom of it. That also causes water in the carpet area, which then leads to expensive electronic modules stopping to work, which are located under where your feet rest in the front seats. STUPID!!! ----- Next, they built the exhaust so the heat shields fail prematurely and they attached the exhaust hangers which are spot welded to the heat shields! So that falls off the car and gets wrecked resulting in a $1,700 bill. DUMB!!! ------Next, Their bodywork for a German car appears to be way below BMW. This car had surface rust all over the typical areas at 124k miles, that is unacceptable for a car built in 1999. -----Front Suspension? Parts are GARBAGE, wears out very quickly, every inspection it needs a new upper front or rear A-arm. Next--- LCD information screen in dash, POS! Also fails prematurely on most of these cars. I could have bought a Corolla and got better in the engineering department ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Good-: Handles well, accelerates good, brakes are just okay for this weight car.

better than most of the best
By matter of fact (wright)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

this car can really get it!it seems to get smoother the faster you go 130 is smooth and the awd quattro grips it and gets it all four sticking and getting it. i love this car better than most bmws i love my a6

A6 forever
By Mart pick

1999 Audi A6 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Like an old pair of shoes you love. This car has a casual elegance to it.

16 Years Strong
By sebago588

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

We bought our 99 A6 Quattro in 2002 when it came off lease. I decided to buy Audi for its reputable Quattro performance and living in New Hampshire, the winters can be brutal. We still have this vehicle! It has had all the normal and expected maintenance done to it with a hefty price tag for all of it, but it is what you can expect with Audi as you would with BMW or Mercedes. Recently the last major job I had done was four new spring coils, joints and tie rod. It was done at a "bargain" of $3300. I decided to have it done only because I was impressed it took 16 years for the suspension to finally fail a state inspection. Also, these cars never rust. 133,000mi and plan for another 200,000.

1999 A6 quattro
By iamrph68

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Very good vehicle, but the repairs are expensive as the miles add up. I’ve had my A6 quattro for a little over 8 years & 150.000 miles. I bought the car with 47,000 miles & no problems until 98,000, then the serpentine belt tensioner broke. I went ahead a serviced the timing belt, water pump, etc. Later bought shocks from Germanautoparts.com & they are vastly superior to stock. The vehicle feels rock solid on the road and tracks straight with minimal input from the driver. Find yourself an Indie mechanic. I go to my local VW dealer for oil changes & some labor. VW parts are cheaper than Audi parts (SAME PARTS). Also, labor charge at Audi dealership is twice what VW dealer charges…Go figure.

Quattro all-wheel drive is excellent in rain or snow. Heated seats are very comfortable and conform to my medium/large size body well. Bose stereo sounds crisp & clear. I like the the looks of the car. Even though it is 15 model years old this year (2014), it is still a good looking machine. I think the new Ford Taurus and one of the Kia models have the same basic outline of their bodies. If you can find one with less than 50,000 miles, I would recommend buying it. Beware… as the miles increase the repairs go up & I fortunately have a mechanic who’s also an Audi owner. He does quality work at a fair price. If not for him I would have sold my A6 long ago.

V-6 needs more power (which was fixed on newer model years by changes in the transmission gearing, I think). Control arms & suspension components wear out too quickly. Need to use timing chains instead of timing belts (belts break, chains slip).