2018 Audi A5 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Audi A5 Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A5 model:

Exciting car, enjoy your life!
By Chris L

2018 Audi A5 Convertible Prestige quattro 2dr Convertible AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Audi hit a grand slam with the 2018 A5 Cab. Super fun to drive, exterior and interior design are minimalist and logical. Crisp steering and acceleration. Exceptional storage space and backset roominess for the kids ( and even adults) to enjoy the ride. Interior materials are exceptional. The nighttime lighting configuration is beautiful. If you are buying this car you must get the upgraded Bang and Olufsen sound system and upgraded (ventilated seats). Upgraded sound is a $900 upgrade and worth every penny when you are on the highway with the top down. Upgraded seats are the most comfortable I have ever experienced. Because Audi was able to make the body extra stiff and the top is 3 layers of sound proofing, you will not lose performance due to the soft top or even feel like you are in a convertible with the top up. My only issue is the software that powers the MMI is slightly buggy. If you are considering the A5, go for the Cab. you will not regret it!

Best car I have ever driven in my life
By 1sebringnow

We were replacing my wife's 2010 Lexus IS250 C. A hardtop convertible which still was plenty plush, had about 90,000 miles on it and was kept in pristine condition. She didn't want to let it go because everything she test drove was not as plush. We test drove a Porche Boxter, BMW 430i and 440i, and Mercedes C 300 Cabriolet. We almost purchased the BMW 440i Hardtop, because the 430i with its 4 cylinder had turbo lag. The 440i had plenty of power, but the interior was a bit cheap for the amount of money they wanted for the car. Finally, I convinced my wife to take a test drive in the Audi A5 cabriolet. All I can say is after the first test drive, she didn't say much to me for about 24 hours. The next day, she told me that the car was the best thing she had ever driven but didn't want to get to excited about it. Sure it was way way more plush and had more power than the 6 Cylinder that was in the Lexus, but she had some reservations about the color combinations offered by Audi. The combinations between exterior and interior are limited. BMW actually has more choices and the fabric in the 4 series is heat sensitive. Meaning the BMW seat material will not heat up to more than 80 degrees with the top down (it is the only series which has this feature). So you can have black seats and not burn your legs if you are wearing shorts. But the allure of the Audi interior and the way the car drove was what ultimately sealed the deal. The Audi interior is plush, plusher than the Mercedes and way way more quiet. The 4 cylinder turbo has 252 horses which explode, as the car just eats up bumps in the road and feels like it glides over them. The car exudes fun and has a plush ride. Car and driver as one, what a concept. The car we purchased has the 19" summer wheels with sport suspension and taking a curve with them is sheer joy. The car feels like it will not come off the pavement. It is as if it is part of the road. The Prestige model is the only trim level which allows for the latest self driving safety options/features to be installed as additional accessories. The Driver Assist Package compliments the other safety systems which come standard in the car. The Driver Assist Package also allows for the car to basically drive by itself so long as their are lines painted on the road or Hi-way. I suggest taking the A5 out on the highway so you can see for yourself how the car stays within the lines and also accelerates around corners. I can say, the driving assist features work really well. On the way home from the dealership a vehicle cut us off (we were traveling 55 MPH). Before my wife could put on the brakes, the car actually braked by itself, allowing us to easily avoid what could have been a very bad accident. The car is also loaded with other safety features which when engaged actually make the driving experience that much better. My wife commented on how the acceleration in the car was amazing. No hesitation, but the car jumps forward smoothly. The lines are fantastic and the seats are comfortable. The car also is the poster child for Technology. There is so much stuff packed into it I cannot fuuly describe it here, but I suggest again, looking on line about all the features and options, then go take one for a test drive. The technology in the Audi A5 is highly intuitive, when you first get it, you can train it to listen for your voice. Once trained (takes less than 5 minutes) you are going to have the most fun you have had in a long long time. A Just remember warning, if you to depress the gas petal, your head will snap back.

My 13th convertible and this is the best!
By Lee M. Moss

2018 Audi A5 Convertible Premium Plus quattro 2dr Convertible AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I have owned Triumphs, Austin Healy’s, 3 BMW’s, a Boxster, 2 Miata’s, etc., and this is by far the most overall enjoyable convertible and car I have owned. I really liked BMW’s evolution to hardtop convertibles until I bought my Audi A5. The soft top is every bit as quiet as the hardtop convertibles, but the additional trunk space when the top is down is significant (means I can get my golf clubs in the trunk versus back seat)! The power in the A5 is quite impressive, and I have even gotten up to 38 MPG on the highway. This is a very smooth driving and accelerating car, with slightly less road feel that my 05 BMW 3 series, but comparable feel to the BMW 4 series. The technology and sound system are second to none, and I have found them very user friendly and easy to learn and use. With the wind stop in place and windows up with the top down, there is minimal wind buffeting. If too hot, the ventilated seats keep you much cooler (BMW does not have this helpful feature). And the rear seats are adequately comfortable around town for adults, but getting in and out is a challenge. This Audi A5 will likely be a long term keeper for me, for it may be the best overall car I have driven!

Work on your tan!!
By Chicago sun lover

Fun car to drive in the summer. The acceleration and comfort of the drive is phenomenal. You’ll be doing 100 and not even realize it! The aerodynamic styling is very sharp looking. On the negative side the cup holders in front are in a bad location, they block some of the controls. The glove box has lost some space from previous years, the owner’s manual doesn’t even fit in it. The small storage box to the left of the steeling wheel also is to small for the owners manual. The pockets on the door awkward to get items in and out. Overall the car is fun to drive in the summer (I have yet to own it during a winter season).

Riding with the top down
By Top Down

What more can you say. I bought a convertible S5 from Walters Audi in riverside and could not be more happier thanks to Todd Bellis my salesman and the financing staff. I have always wanted a convertible and more so an Audi. Here is to riding with the top down!