2018 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Great value and style!
By Cal

2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I compared the MDX with the Lexus R350L, Audi Q7 and Infinity QX60 and purchased this car because of the value, comfort and style. I have been very pleased with the performance thus far.

Slow to leave 1st gear
By Jennifer

2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Love the car but leaving from a stop its slow to go. Jerks coming out of first into second. Disappointing. Drove another mdx and it was ok so the problem is with mine. Dealership said it seemed fine but its not.

Love Acura
By Ritesh

2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

It’s plush not solid body n suspension like BMW but fulfills almost all needs of a small family

Too Many Intermittent Issues
By Gary Baker

2018 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 7AM)

2018 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid, Advanced Package Review

We took delivery of the vehicle in April 2018, and have had numerous problems with the vehicle since we bought it. The advance package has the seat, steering wheel, and outside mirrors memory positioning system. Intermittently, the steering wheel does not return to the memory position of the driver. It stays all the way up, which is the exit vehicle position.

I have an open report with Acura Client Relations. I've had the vehicle at the dealer four times to correct the problem, but they say they cannot duplicate the issue. On the fourth visit, the vehicle malfunctioned while the service writer was present, but the dealership still contended they could not confirm the issue. Ultimately, they said Honda knows the issue is present, but in their opinion, it only malfunctions when both keys are present. My response was that it seems unusual that Honda knowingly has a malfunction in their system, but chooses to ignore it. Just to be clear, the issue happens whether both keys are present or whether only one key is present.

For some reason, Acura changed the way they receive traffic information for their vehicles. Acura now uses HD Radio signals to receive traffic information for the 2018 MDX. I would assume Acura uses HD Radio signals for all their vehicles. The problem is, unless you're in a major metropolitan area, you do not get traffic information. As a result, when you are driving in heavy traffic, the navigation does not reroute you around heavy traffic. I have a 2016 Acura RDX, and the traffic flow works fine. I believe Acura used to use some sort of satellite signals to receive the information, but for some reason changed to HD Radio signals. Whatever happened to "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"!

I've had multiple other intermittent issues with the vehicle as well. Sometimes I have to press the Reverse button several times before the car actually shifts into gear. When accelerating normally, the transmission seems to stay in lower gears for a long time, and the engine stays at 3,500 to 4,000 RPM, even though you are at a constant speed. For some reason, I started getting between 16 and 17 mpg, which is what prompted my inquiring about the proper operation of the climate control system. Then all of a sudden, I started getting what I was accustomed to seeing.

Acura Owners Manuals are horrible. Because of the drastic mpg variance, I've been trying to figure out the Climate Control system. I have had open dialog with the salesman who sold me the car for over a month. Apparently Acura sales and technical personnel don't know how the climate control system works either. No one has contacted me with some sort of information for over a month.

The MDX Sport Hybrid is actually a nice car. Very quiet and smooth riding. Their estimated fuel efficiency is a little off though. I can get about 25 mpg on the highway, and around 21 mpg city. Overall I get about 22 mpg. We traded in our 2010 Lexus 450H, which is a Hybrid as well, for the MDX. We got around 30 mpg highway and 23 city with the Lexus, and overall we got 25 mpg from the day we bought it until we traded it in.

The open case with their Client Relations has been a challenge since I opened it five weeks ago, July 17th. From July 19th until July 25th, I left voicemail messages on the case managers direct line, and never got a call back. When she finally did call me back July 25th, she claimed she never received any of my messages. Apparently their phone system at Honda also has intermittent problems. When last I talked to the case manager on August 8th, she told me she would be back in touch with me by August 10th. That is the last I've heard from her, and today is August 26th. I guess it must be another intermittent problem.

It's hard for me to understand why Honda/Acura has such lousy customer service. Starting with their sales staff, to their service department, right up to their Client Relations. When you spend $60,000.00 for a luxury vehicle, I would think the manufacture would be more concerned about their customers.

MDX Catch
By CK

2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Exceptionally comfortable driver seating.........road handling and steering are outstanding. Only minus would be blind spot on the right rear of vehicle