Used 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo Xc90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Please DON'T buy, lost a lot of money on this puppy
By too_trendy_1

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Oh boy, let's see, bought the 2004 xc90 T6 last year 2014 with only 72K miles on it,good deal right!? WRONG! The transmission "fell out" about 3 months after owning it. We had a HUGE thunderstorm, which lead to a flood in the Volvo due to the seal on the sunroof needed to be cleaned. Back Breaks and drums needed to be replaced a few months later. Then no real problems for about 6 months, and then it wouldn't start. The techs couldn't figure out why? Put in a new started, bought a new key, and it still wasn't starting, 11 months later, GOT RID OF IT! Traded it in .. I wasted close to $7,000 plus in repairs, and lost on it when I traded it in. DO NOT BUY the T6 I should of done my research

Favorite Features

love how it looks, exterior and interior

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt broke, had to replace, radio stop working, had to replace, this puppy kept breaking on us, dumped so much money in it, it makes me sick to my stomach! Happy its GONE! DON'T BUY THIS!!!

Expensive All-Weather Hauler
By scottque

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Have had this thing now for 10+ years and 90,000 miles. Went from primary car for hauling two kids to a third car that sits outside and is reserved for "dirty work". Have been lucky enough to avoid any engine and transmission problems but the cost of multiple failed wheel bearings, sway bars, and ignition coils have really mounted - especially for a relatively low-mileage vehicle. Still, the fact that we still have this car says a lot about it. It is extremely versatile, in terms of hauling people and stuff. It has always started and never broken down. And one thing about the Swedes - they know how to make safe cars that can drive through snow! Ten years old and does not look dated.

Favorite Features

Timeless styling (maybe because Volvo has not yet redesigned this model...). On-demand 4WD (no one has this anymore!). Versatile interior. Good handling in poor weather. Quick-heating seats. Good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Very expensive to maintain. Weak radio antenna. No back-up camera. Underpowered engine.

Everything breaks! Marked low to bring it's ratings down!
By lane11

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Wow, this is a great car to drive, unfortunately, everything breaks on it. I normally don't post, but I just had to register to let people know. Here is the short list of things: 2004 T6, first owner: Front (both) and rear (both x 2) shock mounts (not shocks, the stupid plastic pieces they put in there). Motors in the dash for the air. Replaced two of them now. $$$ Driver window motor. $$ The rain drains on the roof got plugged up, when they overflow, it goes onto one of the computers on the driver side. $$$ Turbo is now dead $2000, and the traction/stability computer is dead. $$$ Rear wheel bearings $$ plus the tires they ruined. I won't own another volvo, ever.

Suggested Improvements

Crush all of them. I was actually yelling in the service center that the shock mounts (getting replaced for the second time in 60K miles) was completely unacceptable and that's not a "normal" wear item on any other car in the world. The motors in the dash going out that direct airflow. Are you kidding? We have had two failures. I think people don't even know that half these things are broken. Dash motor, makes a "burring" noise when it's moving. Shock mounts make a clunking noise when going over small bumps slow. Rear bearing, humming noise, turbo is a loud burring metallic sound under the hood when you take off, usually turning. Everything else gives you a "spend $$" message on dash

DON'T BE TEMPTED!!! Turn and run the other way!
By cgo

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Do Not buy this car! I was enamored by the nice look, the safey reputation, and the fun drive of this car. And despite warnings on this and other review sites, I went ahead and bought it. I got a used one for $10k. After a year of in-and-out of the mechanic, and countless $$'s spent on repairs, I finally junked it when the last repair estimate came to $11k. You would not believe how many "car experts" asked me how stupid I was to buy that car. Big...waste...of...money! Please do not buy this car. Don't be tempted like I was. You will regret it. I guarantee.

Too many problems dont buy
By bob458

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought a used xc90 from volvo. We have averaged a new problem every 2000 miles. Including a breakdown leaving my pregnant wife stranded and now flickering headlights that cant be fixed despite visits to the dealership and throwing money at it. (computers and modules are next on the list) It would be nice if the dealership looked like they knew how to fix what is apparantly a common problem on their vehicles... So its going to be traded in with a 6 mth loss of 5-6k. Looks pretty but its not engineered well nor built well - certainly not the volvos of old.

Favorite Features

Very pretty and cute.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your well known and documented faults......A vehicle with a faulty headlight design is dangerous. Design a car your service departments can fix....not look confused about.