Used 1999 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Over 100,000 miles and Still Like New!
By BigDog

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I couldn't be any happier! I purchased this car when it was about a year old with 27k miles. I now have 108,000 miles and the thing still runs like new. This is a good solid car and very dependable. With all the mileage I've put on the car, I've replaced one strut tower bushing and that's all! I've had no repairs other than that one item. I've done the regular maintenance at Volvo and it's very reasonably priced. After a 100,000 miles it still has no squeeks or rattles. If I were to buy another S80 I'd go for the T6 version. I drove one and it left me stunned! I couldn't believe the performance on that car! The S80 is a great choice!

Favorite Features

After 100,000 miles, still very dependable! This model is a great choice!

Money pit and headaches
By WhyHom

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Small things at first, like bad AM reception on the radio. Even a Kia gets AM radio. Had it in 4 times to get it fixed. Front end kept getting knocked out of alignment, even with no rough driving or potholes. The tires cost $1000 for a set. Then, major stuff started happening. Oil leaks, turbo seals, valves, radiator problem that involved a $900 part. All this before 35000 miles. Engine light keeps going on and the mechanic keeps telling me to ignore it. These headaches don't make up for the fun driving it. Reliability is a big thing to me. I'm buying a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Power. When you want it to go, it goes... fast. When you want it to stop, it stops...fast.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, especially on the basics. Many parts have been replaced by Volvo but not on a recall so I had to pay.

Finally a Car I'm Keeping!
By Jay_Adams

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new back in '99. This has been my first Volvo and I'm impressed! The performance of this sedan is better than outstanding! The twin turbo's are just amazing! For the first time, I'm truly impressed with a car. Having owned some fine luxury cars throughout the years, nothing stacks up to the T6. With the exception of one small repair, this car has been virtually maintenance free. I paid about $50,000 for this car when I bought it, and I couldn't be any happier with the vehicle. I now have 118,000 miles on the car and it runs so well. I can honestly recommend this vehicle to anyone! This is a very well engineered car!

Favorite Features

The twin turbo's are great! The entire car was well designed and runs flawlessly. The car has been extremely reliable!

What a mistake.....
By hannibal

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Happy for those of you who love your S80, this car has been a nightmare for me. It would be fun to drive, except for anticipating the next expensive repair. The car has been in the shop regularly since new, even had to replace the gas tank (of course, 5K miles AFTER warranty expired). Repeated calls and emails over the years to Volvo NA and dealer regarding quality issues have gone unanswered. I will NEVER buy another Volvo, and tell anyone who will listen about my bad experience(s). A shame, because I was really excited about Volvo when I first purchased this car.

Favorite Features

heated seats, manual shift mode, great defroster

Suggested Improvements

For those of us with significant issues, some (friendly) gesture from Volvo NA would go a long way.

Finally a Great Car!
By Nice_One

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My S80 is a T6 and I just love it! Approaching 80,000 miles and no complaints on this car. One of the nicest cars to drive or to even be a passenger in. So comfortable and so fast! I had a couple initial problems after I bought the car (covered by warranty). The dealer upgraded the software in the car and after that I never had a single problem. Absolutely nothing at all! The dealer says the upgrade is offered free of charge and only has to be done to the car once and never again. Some people just don't get it done and would rather complain about poor reliability. Wake up people, it only takes a few minutes for them to do. This car is great!

Favorite Features

This is a very reliable, very comfortable, and a very solid car. The car is so quick! When new, I paid about $50,000 for this car (well worth the price). This car is a great used car buy at it's current price!

Suggested Improvements

Volvo should send a letter to people about the upgrade that is available.