1998 Volvo S70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S70 model:
Best Car I've Ever Owned
By MadeInJapan on 05/03/08 22:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after selling a '94 850 turbo wagon that I had a love/hate relationship with. I got rid of it due to expense of taking it to the dealer, but I missed the power, comfort and the "fun factor." So, after owning a small Japanese car until it was paid off I began looking for a Volvo Sedan. I must say that I did a lot of research before purchasing this car. This car, when you do your own repairs is not a drain at all. I had the ECU upgraded and also beefed up the suspension with IPD swaybars. It's amazing!

I Love My Volvo
By Ta'Meek on 05/01/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has been really good!! I bought it used back in 2001, and it has sustained two serious motor vehicle accidents, someone hit me from the rear and driver's side. This car has been very dependable, the maintenance costs can hurt a little, but it's worth it.. I'm planning to buy a Lexus soon. My mechanic keeps asking me to sell my Volvo to him. I'm going to keep it. I've had wonderful experiences with this car. I hope Lexus can compare to my Volvo....

Excellent Used Car, Safe, Fast, Reliable
By Chris on 04/15/08 12:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle with 86k 11- 06. It is currently 4-08 and 108k. The ABS Module was replaced for $110 at the used car dealer, as was the thermostat shortly after purchasing. Factory rotors lasted 95k. AC Condensor was replaced in 2004. Hit a dear going 60, bent the hood and broke the glass headlight lenses, nothing more, definitely a solid car. Handles extremely well, 0-60 in 6 seconds is a blast. Not a car for your teenager, get the non-turbo or GLT for them. Zero rust!

Not Impressed
By Not Impressed on 04/07/08 13:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Give me back my Honda, after driving a Honda for 11 years I wanted something fun to drive. I made the mistake of getting the S70 turbo. I felt it had a better track record then BMW or Saab. Always a light on the dash. Major bucks to repair. Honda is the Sherman tank of cars beat it to death and it just laughs at you. My S70 should be paid off but the repairs have prevented that. Do yourself a favor stay away from this car.

Recommended
By Richard on 03/20/08 15:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a friend in 2002 at 42000 miles. Some major repairs (ABS computer, wheel hub replacement), but I am pleased with the purchase. Great turbo performance, no lag time. Body integrity very good. No complaints. This is my fourth Volvo, the previous three - except for the 1997 S80 - all have performed well.

Surprise... I am faster than you think!!!
By Brian on 02/01/08 19:02 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I enjoyed my Volvo S70 GLT so much that I purchased another one. This time I bought the T5 and it is the same great car with a few more options and faster. No one can believe I purchased another 98 Volvo until they see my new S70 T5. The seats are the most comfortable of any car I have ever owned and the car got 28.4 MPG on a trip home which I drove 70-75 MPH. Front wheel drive for the winter and the heated seats make a great combination with a moonroof and cool A/C in the summer. The car has a distinctive look unlike many other boring new sedans.

Best year for Volvo
By Drew on 01/25/08 09:44 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was lucky enough to find my 98 S70 T5 with the manual transmission and low mileage on ebay. I gave it a full stage zero (full maintenance) and was rewarded with a very quick, reliable, handsome sweedish hotrod. In 98, a stock T5 would outrun a mustang GT and with a few mods, would run with the cobra. I've got a boost controller, exhaust, coilover suspension and new intercooler and this puppy FLIES. Outran an 05 mustang GT at the track. 13.71 1/4 mile. Aside from the usual 100K repairs like tbelt, water pump, iginition and a motor mount, zero problems and avg 25 mpg. Can't beat that. Oh and only use 91~93 octane if you have a GLT or T5. Manual transmission is nearly indestructible.

Volvo "Newbee"
By billkcmo on 01/14/08 14:36 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Never realized that this car would be so fast! Never had an opinion one way or the other about this brand but any 10 year old car that still gets mistaken for new is ok in my book. Very good on long trips. Like knowing that the reserve power is there when I need it. Feels solid and handles well. Dumb not to have a light in the trunk. Gas mileage is the worst feature. Like everything about this car. I am going to keep it in good condition as I cannot think of another car that I would want to trade for.

Good Car
By Jeff1976 on 11/14/07 17:55 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is a good car. Some people don't like it because they take it to a dealer to get it fixed which is a big mistake. Over the years I have learned to fix things on it and overall it's a pretty mechanic friendly car. One of the easiest oil changes I have ever done since the oil filter is forward of the pan. I am at 155,000 mi and going strong. I'm going to keep this car with me for decades more since it is safe and has a fairly timeless design. Staying ahead of maintenance is the best defense to problems. Get it checked out unless you know what to look for and you won't be suprised with killer repairs. (70k change the timing belt). They are fairly inexpensive used. Buy one!

Safe and tons of fun!!
By Chris on 09/21/07 11:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 75K on it. I now have 117K and I've done nothing to it. If you're looking for a fun car to drive that you can put your kids in, this is it. It's got loads of pin you in your seat power. The down side is fuel economy (16 city/22-24 hwy). Also a very stiff ride. But I didn't buy it for a "soft" ride. I would and will buy more Volvos.