Used 1998 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

GREAT USED LUXURY CAR FOR LOW LOW PRICE
By d.slvstri

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

My 98 GLT turbo has been very good to me so far, i purchased it two weeks ago and drove it day 1 from VA to NY and day 5 from NY back to VA with no problems at all, the driver seat wasnt so comfy towards my center back on the long drive but overall ok, it has the typical warning lights on dash (ABS/TRAC) but i learned to live with them and got used to not having the luxury of working ABS/TRAC features since my previous Ford Focus didnt even have those options. Very good acceleration once turbo kicks in, i dont know what the top speed is on this car despite the 140 speedo but i had no problem getting to 127 mph fairly quickly. Gorgeous blk ext with blk leather int. only paid $1400 usd

Favorite Features

LOOKS, FIT AND FINISH, RICH FEEL, TURBO POWER, SMOOTH ENGINE AND TRANNY, LARGE 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES, GLOSSY BLACK FINISH, VOLVO FACTORY STEREO SYSTEM, HEATED SEATS, GREAT ON GAS, OVERALL CAN MAKE A POOR MAN FEEL RICH!!!!

Suggested Improvements

WARNING LIGHTS, SUSPENSION FEELS ANY IMPERFECTIONS IN ROAD, ABS/TRAC DONT WORK!!!!

Best used car value out there
By Tarheel1

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car to replace a '96 850 GLT. The turbo makes this car much quicker than the otherwise similar 850. Volvo did a nice job updating the appearance inside an out. The 5 cylinder engine is a perfect balance of reliable, smooth and economical. The GLT includes all the expected luxury features: leather, cruise, a/c, stereo, CD, cassette, remote, power win/locks/mirrors/driver seat. Safety, as always, at the top... the 850 probably saved my life and that's why I bought another one. This car is quicker and more sporty. I briefly contemplated a 1999 Saab 9-3 because of it's more sporty nature but I'm not dissapointed with the S70.

Favorite Features

Turbo Charger - feels very powerful, luxury features, build quality and rock-solid safety.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that this car feels heavy. In comparison to BMW 3 & 5's as well as Honda Accords, it just feels heavy around corners. I think it's just that the steering requires a little more effort and the car exhibits a little more body roll. It still handles great.

Most comfortable car!
By cali mom

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I have over 200K miles on my Volvo S70. Original engine and tranny. Recently had to replace ball joint and struts. No biggie since that is all have had to put in it in the last year. I put synthetic oil in mine. I noticed that I get a random black film on the inside of my sunroof. -Not sure why. Door panel pleather came away from the door and needs to be re- glued. It did this on all 4 doors. My mirror control buttons are melty and sticky! Yuck! My black leather has held up well in the CA sun. I condition it regularly and put up sun shades. Most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I have driven it to Seattle and back to Sacramento 6 times in less than a year. Great car for weekend get aways

Favorite Features

Seats, classic body, looks new, seat warmers!

Suggested Improvements

Mirror control buttons, ABS (mine has gone out)Trunk light can easily be turned off when removing stuff.

I will keep it forever
By ShortCircuit

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Volvo and its buy far the best to date!! I will always own and drive volvo's. The stereo is fantastic and the fuel economy is brilliant. I dont like how the check engine light comes on all the time and im sick of taking it in for decoding so i now just ignore it. Its unbreakable and the engine loves to rev. 350,000 km and still going strong. Lack of cup holders in Aus delivered S70's. VALUE FOR MONEY!!! I love you my Volvo! xx

Favorite Features

Stereo Comfy seats Climate control Easy of servicing Reliability Safety.

Suggested Improvements

Door trim leather comes away after time and lets the whole interior down. Everything else look as good as the day it rolled of the prod line. Some engine plastics.

Great Car
By Mbeck

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This was my 4th Volvo and the change in body style took some getting used to. This is an extremely reliable, comfortable and safe vehicle. I have no major problems.My biggest complaint would be the tail lights bulbs seem to go out quickly, the cup holders are pretty skimpy for a $30K (new) car. It has never let me down and been most reliable.

Favorite Features

Reliability, safety and styling are the strong points. The large trunk and fold down rear seats have made this a very utilitarian vehicle. I will pass this one to a family member because the high mileage brings down the resale value. But in reality I expect it to run for at least 300,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, AC, light lie