2010 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
And they make the gas version because...
By Fresno Vicary on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Traded in a 2006 Expedition for this midsize SUV and we aren't looking back. The Touareg is just the right size for our family of 5 (kids range 3- 9yrs.). It doesn't have the interior space of the Expedition, but it's not a big lumbering beast either. This is a fun to drive SUV with plenty of power at a great price point. Early results on mpg indicates it should more than cover the EPA ratings. My only hope is that we didn't get one of the unreliable ones. I only rated reliability "5" because we haven't had the car long enough to rate.

Toureg Tough on Kids
By McDonald NC on 09/06/10 18:54 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I've had the Toureg for 7 months. Great for an individual or for a couple. But, the back seats are very erect and my kids wont get in the car unless we're traveling less that an hour. Just not comfortable in the back seat. Also, when I lock the car with the key fob the alarm goes off about 50% of the time -- very frustrating especially when with a customer. Lastly, I am forced to use Flow Volkswagen for service-- Unbelievlably bad service. In summary, a great ride but my kids avoid it, no trunk space, and the local dealer is a nightmare. Will be selling or trading soon.

Great Buy
By stanleys on 07/15/10 18:36 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 FSI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Traded a Toyota 4 Runner for the Touareg. Best luxury SUV, I found for the money. Reliability and VW customer service seems to be improving.

Touareg Nightmare
By Nightmare on 07/15/10 14:10 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 FSI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I drive a lot of miles each year, and I liked this car when it was under about 30,000 miles. I'm guessing that most of the people who are writing these reviews don't have 54,000 miles on a car this new. This car was great when I first owned it, but once I put quite a few miles on it, it turned into a nightmare. First of all this car goes through head and taillights like crazy. I've had 3 headlights and 1 taillight replaced, and every so often the check headlight warning goes on when there is no headlight out. Gas mileage could be much better. Brakes squeal constantly & they've already been replaced once (Not covered under warranty). Back seats take forever to fold down. Continued Below.

Amazing SUV
By TEB on 07/09/10 04:57 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Coming off of a 2007 AWD Cadillac SRX, I thought this SUV would be similar. Boy was I wrong. Comfort, drivability, and fuel economy put this vehicle in a class by itself. We have driven 2600 miles including one long trip of 1300 miles 27 MPG highway and 23 in a mix. It feels like your floating down the road, yet with real precise road feel. When climbing gradual inclines transmission works well, not like the SRX. It is also very easy to park with its short turn radius. Vehicle we purchased was standard with Luxury Package that includes leather seating, 19" wheels, and heated steering wheel, which was a must for my wife.

Awesome SUV
By HMB on 06/11/10 00:31 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 FSI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

It's more than what I expected in an SUV. I've owned GM all of my life, 4 to be fact, and I will never return to GM ever. This vehicle has so much power hidden under it's hood. I purchased with the 19" Wheels in December and never worried about getting stuck in the snow, in fact it seemed that I had total command of the road driving in 6" of slush and never once loss control. I looked at the Arcadia, Q7, Cheyenne and CX90 and my VW has them beat hands down in Price, Performance and Fuel Economy. 28 to 34 MPG on the highway, but only 12 in the city. After 12,000 miles in just under 6 months the gas I've saved while on the road has made a Huge impression on my GM Buddies.

Power and fuel economy
By Return to VW on 05/20/10 21:12 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is one fine highway cruiser that is getting 29-30 mpg while gliding down the super-slab at the speed limit. We traded in an 08 ML320 CDI and the Touareg is a far better riding SUV, plus it is quieter. You do not hear the diesel engine but you do feel its power. We pulled a 5000 lb trailer with power to spare and excellent control. This is no SUV wannabe, this is the real thing with > 8 inches of ground clearance and great visibility. This is a keeper.

German tank safety with GTI performance
By Val on 05/20/10 17:17 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I was an Audi Q7 3.6 FSI owner. Even Audi was very elegant, the mileage was bad, averaging 16 mpg overall. I always wanted to buy the Touareg in first place, but only the TDI version, for its superior torque, fun to drive and stellar gas mileage. I bought the vehicle with almost all the possible options, air suspension, xenon, navigation, rear view camera, etc. The car is very safe and fun to drive, excellent acceleration and passing power for such heavy vehicle.

Love It!
By cgf on 05/20/10 17:06 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 FSI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Just got my new 2010 Touareg. Shopped Mercedes ML350, Lexus 350, Volvo CX90 - best deal and standard features. This ride is very solid. I think this is my favorite car so far. Had VW in the past '79 Bug, '84 Golf.

Super SUV
By AP on 02/08/10 20:36 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I've been an Audi owner for years, but opted for the VW this go 'round because I didn't care for the Q7 exterior and I liked the air suspension option on the Touareg. It is by far my favorite automobile to date! Even though I got a fully loaded edition, there are a few luxury items noticeably absent (no memory feature on the driver's seat?!). And it is not without its electronic bugs: the alarm goes off sometimes when locking the vehicle with the key fob or exterior keyless button...it is a VW after all. But, honestly, it is one fine vehicle and if all goes well beyond these first 3K miles, I hope to have it for 300K + (this from someone who generally trades every 2 years with < 30K.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Touareg in VA is:

$113 per month*