Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Keep Looking
By HereWeGo1

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This Routan seemed to be a perfect fit. Very stylish, comfortable to ride in and best of all its European, at least until you look a little closer. The truth of the matter is that this van is made in Canada at a Chrysler plant. This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. At about 700 miles the passenger side headlight began filling with moisture. The automatic doors do whatever they want, whenever they want. I woke up one morning to the side of our new van wide open getting soaked in the pouring rain. The power windows are very sporadic. Sometimes they work, most times they donít. Our rear bumper began pulling away from the body of the vehicle.

Apparently there are 3 manufactures recalls, the bumper being one of them. This is just a full on disappointment. This vehicle was not cheap by any means, but I do not feel safe putting my family in this.

The worst part of all is that the dealer is telling us that they canít even get the parts to fix the headlight or the computer system because itís been back ordered. That tells me that this is not just an isolated case.

Best looking interior among all minivans
By Krishna

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

The drive on this minivan is absolutely fantastic. The drive feels manly and more like a car. I drove Honda Odyssey for 10 years and I loved it as well. But, it has that minivan feel which most of my friends used to joke about. Routan doesn't make you feel like you are driving a minivan. Also, the seating really helps towards that feel. I was not looking to won Routan as I wanted to stay with Japanese maker as I never had any issues with my 2000 Odyssey on which I drove over 200K. For a change I wanted to buy Sienna and almost got it but the promotions on 2009 Routan made me go to the dealer to check it out and once I test drove and saw the interior design there is no going back to Sienna.

Sporty seats, 30GB hard disk touch screen GPS/Audio system (14GB wasted for maps), interior lighting, leather finish, interior styling. Beige interior is too good but we passed it for gray as we thought it will be hard to maintain it clean.

A2DP bluetooth support to play music from cellphones without wires, Better resolution on LCDs, Album Art display on touch screen display when playing MP3 and VW style key.

Cool Ride
By Right

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife LOVES the Routon and it's cool enough for dad too. Great layout in seats and consoles. Quick, smooth and excellent visibility with reasonable value. It is a family cruiser with class.We have had brakes replaced by VW at NO charge and no hassle. VW people are good to work with

MOTOR! 4.0 is quick!! Power doors and rear hatch is super too.

Raise height of steering wheel a few inches for egress.

Hope it's just me or just this van
By man-with-a-van

We bought the van cuz it seemed to have more features for the buck and that VW service would be around in case Chrysler wouldn't in the case of caravan/T&C. Only have about 1500 miles but half is because dealer drove it due to dealer trade and going in for service due to "check engine" light on for most of its life thus far. Turns out a transmission seal was compromised (at 1500 miles!!!) and in will be in shop (twice) for total of 16 days. on the bright side, i'm only 14 days from qualifying for Lemon Law. In addition, shades and interior not put together well, bumper came apart a bit. Hopefully, we'll be free of issues after it comes back. Fingers crossed.

Media and 2 TVs, quiet cabin and comfortable ride, under floor storage, price (26,500 before tax, license, registration and no financing)

adjustment middles seats back and forth, wider 3rd row, more child latches in 3rd row, better storage behind seats, better design of (bigger) buttons, gauge and computer screen can't be seen with sunlight, standard roof rails on SE or higher, trim the head so the car isn't so long.

Great so far
By Sean

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

So far, we love this van. We have put 4,000 miles on it. The seats on this van are very comfortable and it has plenty of power. Performance is fantastic and it takes sharp corners like a well-tuned sedan. Gas mileage does fantastic on the highway (27 mpg), but it only gets 14.7mpg in the city wthen the A/C is running. Rear ceiling height is a problem if you get the moon roof. The moon roof needs room to slide back, so you lose several inches of ceiling height. This means that the rear seat TV is low enough to block the rear view mirror and that the rear seats can't tip forward because they hit the ceiling. We have had four 8 hour trips with the family and we loved every minute.

Seat comfort, RSE, HID headlights, Premium radio system, feel of steering wheel

Gas mileage is not so good in the city. The tires they put on the car have problems (performance and balancing). Fit of bumper covers. Power sliding doors have issues. Ceiling height with moon roof needs to improve.