2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Phaeton model:
Car as hobby
By sooththetruth on 05/13/10 16:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I craved this car for months, shopped for 6 months, and found a great deal, with remaining CPO warranty. The car is a dream to drive, and the ride unimaginably good. However, you learn that this is a finicky monster to maintain properly. The tires wore quickly because the alignment went out, and there are few places that no how to align it. Without a long term warranty? A transmission is 10K, and the wrong transmission fluid was spec'd when new. The speaker wires break. The regulators in the doors go bad starting at 60,000 miles. This is a car for people with money to burn, and two cars to drive. Oh yeah, the build quality is the burden of ownership, maintaining the dream.

Great Car, but Get a GOOD VW warranty
By FastEddy on 02/24/10 11:50 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've had the car for about a year now. Overall, this is a extremely competent luxury car. Good acceleration (not a burner, but fast enough), very smooth & quiet. The exterior is understated (which suits me just fine) & the interior is one of the best I've seen (especially on an 04 car). Good attention to detail all around. The only drawbacks I can mention is Service & some reliability issues (mostly electrical gremlins - which aren't uncommon in high end luxury cars). Combining the electrical issues w/ the fact VW technicians have little experience w/ the car can make service an exercise in trial & error & very costly if not covered under warranty(mine didn't cover much)

Best Kept Secret in the Used Car Market
By Steve on 12/20/09 03:07 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a used, certified model with 60,000 miles from a VW dealer. The superb materials and build quality make it seem hardly used. The buttons, carpets, leather surfaces, chrome, liners, etc all look new. The paint deserves special mention. My silver reflex paint scheme is beautiful. The car is comfortable, with ample room inside, especially the back seat area. The air suspension is sublime. This is the car to have on long trips. This car is truly exclusive, as less than 3,500 Phaetons were imported into the US. Thankfully the Phaeton remains in production, and obtaining parts is not a problem. Servicing by VW is a must. Recommend purchasing an extended warranty.

All in All Good
By Uday on 01/12/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

When I first saw the car I had the same reaction as most, why on earth would VW want to get in to the Luxury market. However, after getting in to the car and viewing the Top Gear review on it I was completely sold. The car is everything for people who like to wear their brand names on the inside rather than all over their clothing.

The Best Bargain in Used Cars. Period.
By javel001 on 07/11/08 04:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Let me state this clearly: The VW Phaeton is one of the best cars in the world. As a used car it is without peer. The very-high-quality interior is gorgeous, the attention to detail is astounding, the sound system is very impressive, comfort is second to none, and the number of micro-adjustments that can be made boggles the mind. The drivetrain reeks of German precision, and the design is thoroughly modern. My wife drives a 5-series BMW and looks every gift horse in the mouth. After riding in the Phaeton, she has been curiously silent. I think she's jealous. I have owned several luxury cars in the past (MB, BMW, Jaguar), and the Phaeton surpasses them all. It's simply a *great* car.

Bentley Car for VW Money
By TJ on 05/24/08 10:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have had everything there is to drive in a luxury car, and this is without a doubt the most bang for the buck anywhere! Sure, there are more expensive cars, but whatever those cars may offer over the VW doesn't come close to justifying it's price. The car is AWESOME. To quote Ferris Beuller "It is so choice, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up"

Very good car
By lovethiscar on 04/25/08 03:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first super luxury car. Prior to the Phaeton, I owned a Lincoln LS. The LS is an excellent car, but is not in the same class as the Phaeton. I was able to purchase a 2004 with 51900 miles for $24500 with an all inclusive VW warranty. I consider myself a well informed consumer that does his research. I have to say this car is the BEST car that I have driven and that I made an excellent purchase. Rides like a dream. On a back road, I got it up to 120 mph, but took it down because I got scared.. Flawless ride even at 120 mph...

Perfect except for Tire Pressure Monitor
By Donn Weinberg on 03/31/08 04:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love my Phaeton. It is great- looking, handles and drives beautifully, provides the ultimate in creature comforts, has the upgraded sound system, etc. My only problems have been two. The minor one: the fancy windshield wiper system had to be changed for a standard system, which works fine. The annoying one: after 4-5 times in the shop and two complete replacements of the tire pressure monitoring module, the system insists on flashing either a flat "tire" and/or a fault in the wheel -- this even when my hand-held digital pressure monitor shows equal pressures on the front tires and on the back tires. Still not right. MPG really is 22 if all highway, 16 in mixed driving.

Get this vehicle while you still can!
By Danny Fuller on 02/04/08 13:07 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I happened to stumble upon this vehicle by chance and am very happy for the outcome. I am very impressed by the engine build, interior comfort and subdued exterior design - not into the 'prestige vehicle' badges. This car isn't prestige at all, and that's a good thing. Fuel economy could improve but compared to some 4cyl turbos out there it isn't much of a difference. In fact some V6s out there have the same fuel economy as the V8 Phaeton. Personally I would NOT recommend the W12 Phaeton with 12cyl.

So Far So Good
By Illinois owner on 11/20/07 11:43 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Significantly depreciated value / price of this '04 car made it a great value. Solid feel with incredible performance in a "better than limo" luxury experience. So many bells and whistles that it takes days to train self on all functions. Three complaints: navigation system is antiquated, complex and only provides minimal information and tire pressure sensors are very sensitive and won't read correctly in very cold conditions and finally, cannot turn off seat-belt tone which is bothersome if you just want to sit and wait for someone without being buckled up.