2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Passat review
By randy on 06/21/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This the best and most fun car I have ever driven in my 20+ years of driving. It has lots of power and handles very well. A lot of room inside, able to seat 2 grown ups and a large child seat in the back very comfortablely. Over all just a fun car to drive. I highly recommend the Passat to anyone with a family and still wants to ride in style!

Excellent Car
By Marius on 06/21/05 13:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car. It does not car compare with any American car in its class. The standard model comes with many standard features (ABS, side curtain airbags, etc.) - good value. There were no problems in 18 months - thanks God, because of the customer service.

2004 Passat 1.8T GLS
By J. Ritter on 06/16/05 13:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For less than $23000 excellent built quality, great looking, superb interior materials. perfectly ballanced ride comfortable but with little body role, outstanding safety features (active restrain seat belts, side and head curtain airbags, esp), excellent performance considering the 1.8T economy engine giving highway milage of 32+ and suburban mileage of 26+. This is the best car I have owned so far. In my opinion the best value among wagons and family cars seating 5 currently available

Good car with some problems
By Brian00074 on 05/23/05 15:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is an excellent riding vehicle with decent power and good looks. The data display and heated seats are great features. I had two strange things happen with this car. First was minor. The chrome strip along the rear door pulled away somehow and took paint off the front door the next time I opened it. It happened on a very very cold day and I suspect some water froze behind it. The second thing was much more serious. I got home one night and tried to back into my spot but the car would not move. Turned out that I needed a whole new transmission, which Kelly VW replaced with no hassle. It's running well but making a strange noise after rolling a few feet. I'm taking it back again.

Passat Review
By David Jones on 05/22/05 11:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a Passat after driving American made cars and felt I had to take the chance. The stability and control I have, have not been found in an American made vehicle. It is extremely comfortable and quiet and get better mileage than the Ford Focus I drove before. I have much more room, better mileage and look much more impressive in this vehicle.

Rocket ship
By Fifthgarrett on 05/21/05 14:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Second Day with my 05 Passat GLS Auto 1.8 T. Love it. The car handles like a sports car, feels solid and is quiet on the highway. Interior fit and finish is high qualily. 17 inch wheels grip the road. Tip Tronic, fun to accelerate onto highway. High Marks all around.

My dream car
By GABrad2 on 05/14/05 22:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The cars runs well, but the milage in the V6 decreases greatly in city traffic. Also the transmission module failed just prior to a long trip. The car was under warranty, and a dealer took care of the car. The car requires high test gas, which has become quite costly

Reliable Vehicle
By Brett on 05/13/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I use my Passat just like my neighbors use their SUV's. I tow my dirt bikes, take it off-road to my favorite camping/fishing spots. Snow is not a problem in the winter with the ESP and it has more room than most midsize SUV's. I tinted my windows for the SUV look and average 28 mpg on the highway.

Seriously beware of VW
By esther on 05/06/05 15:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My overall experience with VW has been terrible. I leased my 2003 Passat and it has broken down 3 times within the last year, all with mysterious, major warranty issues, the final one being called into question even though I have a platinum warranty. It was fun to drive but I am now at the point where I'm afraid to drive it. Oil pumps, fuel pumps, cam shaft adjustments, engine trouble? Should that happen all by 50000 miles? They also PROMISE an alternate car yet it was never there.They let me go three weeks without a car for warranty work that I still don't know what was really wrong with it all three times. Looks aren't everything!

Passat 1.8 GLS
By pawwap on 04/10/05 20:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After 1 month of ownership, all is superb. The bad rap that VW has often had has not been the case with me. Great deal, good dealer experience and the car is great to drive. Plenty of room for 4 adults; interior quality is excellent. The "leatherette" is very well done. I love getting in this car every day. It handles wonderfully and is a joy to drive. With a new Passat on the way, the current models are being dealt on, and they are going to have to go pretty far to improve on this model.