Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

There Really Is A Difference
By Jaimito

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you are all about fuel economy, performance, and safety I am not sure what other choice in this price class you have. The stereo has surprising capability, remember this is a base model. The air conditioning works great and when you need a little get up and go this car never disappoints. My fuel economy for highway ranges in the mid-twenties. That's only because I have a tendency to punch it a little. I have the leatherette seating and with kids I think it is a must have. This car offers a better range of view then other Veedub models. I like being a little different not pulling up to the party in a Toyota. Oh, and so far my car has had no problems!

I love the red and blue dash lights and tiptronic shifting.

The seat back recline control is difficult to access and use, this may be a problem in cars with multiple drivers.

Better than my BMW 325
By mrlutgen

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my wife a 2005 Passat. I like it so much that I am trading in my BMW for an '06 Passat. This car has all the same quality and handling of any other German car but the price is much more reasonable.

The Tiptronic transmission.

It needs an additional power outlet in the front seat.

Rough Idle and Bad Gas Mileage
By john

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been the worst car I have ever owned. It has a rough idle and gets poor gas mileage. VW has not been any help in resolving these issues.

It looks nice.

Find factory reps that actually help solve problems.

Great Car With A Few Problems
By Lily

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, I've had a great experience (short, so far) with my Passat. It's extremely fun to drive and gets pretty good gas mileage. At 9,000 miles, it hasn't visted the shop yet, although the engine seems to be slightly noisy and has a light rattle.

The greatest feature that is superior to every sedan I have EVER seen is the size of the trunk. It is HUGE! It easily fits four golf bags, and even five (with some careful manuevering)- believe me, I do it often. Other great features include the one-touch sunroof, backlight display, and sound system.

The clock is only visible to the driver, and there are hardly any places to put your things (I use the ashtray to hold things - its that bad). This is trully a driver's car, not very comfortable for passengers on long rides.

what a waste
By parag

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I totally agree that VW doesn't stand behind its products and the dealerships are very incompetent. I have just had my Passat for 8 months and suddenly over the last two weeks the mileage dropped to 10 mpg on highway! I took it to the dealership and they say they can't find any problem and hence cannot help me out! All they did was scanned the computer to see if there were any problems. Further, they took my car for a spin and put 100 miles on it (50 miles more than what the invoice said). This is rediculous. I would never trust them or VW again.

Just being German made is not good enough. They have to actually make this reliable.

• SUV