2003 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews 2

2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Worst car I have ever owned
By merry8 on 06/03/12 08:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car brand new off the lot, brakes squeeked from day 1, when I inquired with the dealer I was advised "all new car's brakes squeek". I took to an independent mechanic at 8k miles, the mechanic stated my brakes were completley failed, rusted. The mechanic told me the brakes were so bad I should stop driving asap, I had the car towed to the dealer. The dealer b.s.'ed me and told me my brakes were fine, I believed them. They were not, at just over 12k miles, they were gone, dealer said brake warranty over at 12k, they strung me along until the warranty ran out. The dealer stated it was because i lived near the ocean, that is why my brakes failed!!Numerous other issues as well.

Would not recommend this vehicle
By deck3 on 05/21/12 16:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2003 Passat had 91,000 miles when the engine sludged; a known problem with this engine. This car has been more stress than the $14,000 purchase price. The original sludged engine had to be replaced with a new engine ($3,695), installed and the engine reset ($977 + $252), as well as the cost of a replacement car ($900). Stress and towing not included. VW's CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT regarding the Sludging of its Passat vehicles has been anything but easy. VW had multiple hoops to jump through. The Oil Sludge Settlement Administrator group had told me on more than one occasion that I would be "reimbursed 100% of the above expenses", but I just received a reimbursement check barely large enough to cover the cost of the engine ($3991.98). What a shame. This engine had problems, VW was aware of these problems, and VW was taken to court and made to reimburse those who purchased these problems. This company, Volkswagen, is not a reputable company to deal with based on my dealings with them. Both their product and business handlings have been of poor caliber. I would not recommend doing business with Volkswagen.

One of my favorites
By wg_h66 on 04/14/12 06:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased mine used '07. Overall a very fun and satisfying car to own. The fuel efficiency really wasn't that great and it is premium only, so it can be expensive. The only issue I had with it was due to the cabin pollen filter not being maintained properly. Two days of heavy rain and the passenger side floor was filled causing computer damage. (I had no idea going in that this was an issue). If you are reading these reviews before purchase then you will have a very dependable car.

Worst car ever
By dreidjr on 03/02/12 13:41 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car used in march of 08 with 70k on it, within the first month my car was back at the VW dealer water magically found its way into the cabin destroying the CCM $1200 fix. Two months later ignition coils go bad causing car to have a misfire... $350 fix. 4 months later i pull off from the stop light i smell coolant and see smoke coming from engine compartment.. pop the hood theres coolant squirting everywhere.. towed to vw dealer 1300 for a clamp.. really vw?? a day later same thing happens again..within the 4 years ive owned this car i probably paid more in repairs than its worth DO NOT BUY this car unless you like wasting money

passat
By marlene2 on 01/13/12 15:53 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

the worst car nothing but trouble after 3 years

2003 VW Passat GLS 1.8T
By vw2003passat on 11/29/11 18:07 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2003. It's still with me: 149,500 miles later. I appreciate a car that's made it this far, and is fun to drive, but the VW Passat exacts a price: lots of problems and plenty of expensive maintenance. I've had a bad radio, bad brake light switch, malfunctioning seat heaters, bad airbag light, three replaced CV boots, a bad oil cooler, and the check engine light is on so much I'm surprised the bulb hasn't burned out. Add to this $40 wipers, $70 oil changes, and VW dealerships who are terribly nice while they rattle off a long list of questionable repairs. If you're considering this car or any VW, I highly recommend you stay far, far away.

Eight years later.
By dbcooper13 on 11/20/11 11:17 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my '03 Passat new. I got it because Edmunds and others loved it. And at the time, everyone and their brother had an Accord or Camry. Eight years later, the transmission's gone. Rather than fix it, my mechanic told me to junk it. I'm not hard on cars. But cleaning out my glove compartment, I found all my receipts from work to the car over the years. Totaled approx. $7,400. The car was fine for 4 years, then turned into an absolute lemon. I would not buy another VW. Ever.

Great Car
By vwownerx2 on 10/03/11 13:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought our Passat 1.8T this year with 124,000 for $4000 from a private owner. The car drives like it is brand new;however, we have had to replace the water pump at 135,000 miles and the timing belt. The interior components are top notch, lots of room, just a joy to own and drive. Yes, maintenance is expensive but the car drives and rides like a brand new car. I can do basic stuff like brakes etc... We just bought a 1999 Passat VR6 as a third car and hope we are as lucky. When you buy used cars with high mileage, you have to expect it is like rolling the dice.

OIL SLUDGE AT 120K! READ THE FORUMS
By j1eis on 09/15/11 17:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Sure I took a risk buying this car used at 119,500 miles, but all the reviews online were pretty good for this car. 400 miles later I started having oil pressure lights and engine lights come on and when I googled the symptoms, I got all kinds of bad news about the car. Oil sludge is a problem and if it's not fixed fast, the engine will need replacing. I'm not even sure if there really is a fix for this problem. If you have this car, get it checked right away. These reviews make it look like a good car, but be careful and read the forums to see what will really happen if you purchase/own this car. 2002 also has this problem

Great car, expensive to own
By heffelz8 on 08/05/11 15:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I think the title says it all. I absolutely love driving my wagon around town and killing it on the highway. It will do about 140 mph pretty quickly, although you'll still get 23-25 mpg at 65-70 mph. It is a rather expensive car to maintain...an oil change runs 120 bucks but it's good for 10,000 miles. Everything and anything that is on or near the engine is a nightmare to work on and costs lots of moola. If you don't have the money to spend on repairs, do not buy. However if you're looking for something fun in the sun, and cool in the snow, than this is the ride for you. Also, I'm 6'6" and there is plenty of room for me.