1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Average Annual Maintenance Costs =

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Average Annual Maintenance Costs = $1500
By CONNIE on

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Passat new 10 years ago. I was seduced by the style, tiptronic and cool commercials during that time. I'm a sucker for Nick Drake. I now have 122k miles on the car and have gotten to know my various mechanics very well over the years. The passenger window slipped into the door - twice. That repair cost me $200+. Simple maintenance like battery changes can't be done outside of the dealership. Removing and replacing the battery disables the car's computer console which can only be reset at the dealership = cost of battery + reset fee $70. Silly things like this are common. Other replacements: tie rods, broken sunroof (within the first year) replacement cost $700; oil leaks +++

Favorite Features

Everyone likes the lights on the console. The seats are comfy. Multiple airbags. Sturdy ride. Solid structure. The engine never gave out. Just now having electrical problems.

Suggested Improvements

Lowering the maintenance costs and design a car with some common sense. Quite often I couldn't just replace a broken part. The whole enchilada had to be replaced. This car is high maintenance. If you got the extra dough, go for it!