2002 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
VW are Lemons!
By Disappointed on 04/21/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car for 6 years and it was nothing but problems. After 40,000 miles, car falls apart. The interior fell apart 2 years after I got it. A week after I bought it, the EPC light came on and didn't let me put the car on Drive, had to learn a trick to start the car on Neutral and drive it. It did this through the 6 years I owned it. Replaced 3 batteries in 6 years, $300+ each. Water pump and timing belt busted on me at 60,000 miles.3 engine hoses replaced because they are made out of plastic and burned. VW dealers are incompetent and steal your money. Tranny began to fail and wouldn't shift gears. VW dealers say trannies never need oil changes, it is a lie.

I'll never buy another VW
By Piece of JUNK! on 04/16/10 11:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Where do I start? First major problem was the water pump went out. Son was driving and kept driving when it over heated. Had to get a new engine. Ended up buying a used engine and still cost over $2,000. Water pump went out in that engine. Another $800. Water pump went out again in less than a week. Was replaced for free. Water pump went out a fourth time after 6 months. Was replaced for free. The plastic interior is breaking apart everywhere. The paint on the hood starting chipping the same year I bought it (2006). Doesn't get good gas mileage. I got almost as good gas mileage with my full size truck. Now the transmission fluid is leaking and they want $4000 for a new one.

LOVE THIS CAR!
By Melina on 04/15/10 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The VW Beetle was my dream car, and I finally was able to find one, which I purchased used from a dealership. There is the possibility of some electrical issues, but I keep it well maintained and absolutely adore it. I still just like looking at it, and driving it every day. Repairs can be costly, again the key here is maintenance. I get compliments on my car almost daily. Cup holders inadequate, as are the sun visors, but other than that I really can't complain.

Our yellow nightmare
By themrfreeze on 04/02/10 12:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new. It was okay at first, but the thing started falling apart after a few years. Numerous electrical problems, gauge cluster failure, constant problems with rear brakes seizing. Paint failed in places, and running boards underneath doors get dented easily. Stuff was coming loose and dangling underneath car. Due to its design, this car is very difficult to work on, and some parts are poorly designed due to the car's shape. We unloaded it before it hit 50k miles.

half and half not creme de la creme
By gypcbug on 03/28/10 13:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

My VW was a celebratory purchase after I pd off a 5yr on a "conservative grey" sedan. Happy "new" car for my new home. Luckily, I kept the boring car too. The VW served me well becoming my primary vehicle including a long job commute. Its great for road trips as mpg is great. The fun factor is huge. The exterior looks new even @ 123K. I needed a catalytic converter @ 80K w/a cost of $1200. The trans slips & I was quoted $3K. She will be parked non-op while I live w/my monthly payment. The interior falls apart in plastic chunks, all cup holders are gone & my door pull fell off. The rt window sticks & the trunk latch catches. The air bag light has never been off. Overheating,Oil guzzling baby.

What a Dissappointment
By RDFreier on 03/18/10 08:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had problems with the car from the start. Engine would just shut off while driving 60 mph on the highway. Wife had many close calls with that until they found the problem in the programming. Then car leaked water into the floor of the back seat. VW said it was the sunroof drain. After over $2k in repair charges problem still not fixed. Battery died, car sat a little and leak filled the floor. I've got bad mold smell, VW can't fix leak and I've basically got a junk car as I can't afford to replace the interior. What a piece of Crap. Should have listened to my little voice that said VW has reliability problems. Don't buy a VW

Surprised By A Beetle
By Extremely Satisfied on 01/07/10 08:23 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I did a ton of research before settling on this car. I am not disappointed. As soon as it was in my hands, my wife and I took a 1,000 mile trip. We left for a week and brought our two bags, overnight bag, my laptop w/ case, and Christmas presents AND our bedding for a cabin stay over New Year's. It swallowed all of this plus more from my wife's parents. All the while, it got 33mpg hwy. That's 478 miles of range on regular 87 octane. If you can find a TDI, get it. But this is and should be the #2 choice. The 2.0 liter motor is a revver. I never once thought it needed more power. With its full load, it pulled the Grapevine at 72mph easily. It is roomy and comfortable too.

problematic
By fedup on 01/06/10 11:39 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had it with my stupid car. I've had the windows stop working (they fixed that for free after realizing how many others were going bad)/ my sunroof leaked into my car when it rained (fixed that--not for free)/ sunroof opens on it's own sometimes, for no reason/ spoiler gets stuck in the up position/ airbag light on, again/ hazard lights and turn signals stopped working (had to get the hazard switch replaced)/ engine light on, one issue fixed another arises 2 weeks later/ my ac stopped working, a fuse melted....MELTED/thermostat replaced and yet another coolant flush (after just a year of having it done)/and so much more. What a headache. I hate Volkswagen!

what the helllllll
By dencee on 11/21/09 17:15 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well I own the car and now seeing that it is hard as hell to get fixed the brain to the car is bad and to top it off it will not pass admissions and the airbag light is on VW boo to you these cars are full of problems.

Great and Horrible
By ChasYoshi on 08/21/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car and immediately loved the way it drove and the gas mileage. After a year or so, the paint began to chip off of the hood from road debris. Then the whole paint job on the front of the car started to fade from the sun. After that, it just went downhill. I put to water pumps on it and replaced a head gasket. The driver's side window only rolls up when it's wet or when I push it up as I'm pushing the switch. When it rains, water leaks into the back seat and the trunk. The airbag light is on continuously. The volume control on the Monsoon radio will only turn up if you hold it a certain way. The high-beams have stopped working altogether. I just sold it today...