Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fun little car with great mpg
By mishka1012

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for couple month now and I drive everywhere on it.
Even though mine was rebuilt from the ground up after an accident not shown on carfax and it was rebuilt from junk and old parts and silicone glue it holding up marvelously.
I mostly drive everything it got out of this little car and let me say it's not just faster than most four cylinders on the road. It beats some v6's because it's stik and it only got 100hp! But I still manage to get 45 mpg consistently, never got less but once got 55 mpg on biodiesel and light driving style (speed limit and slow acceleration tryoing to stay in 5th gear at all speeds (even 30 mph)+ rolling down the hill).
the rest sucks alot.

Mpg, reliability, stick shift, suspension, decent preformance for a 4 cylinder, TDI, verry roomy interior for the front people, looked verry cool on the road. Aero dynamic stays on the ground at 100+mph. Whenever I floor it I get a smoke screen behind me lol. Super cheap to drive literally more than twice the savings comparing to gas cars and supposedly runs verry long miles.

Cheap plasticks break everywhere, sensors go out alot gave up on replacing them. Tdi takes a few minutes to warm up, wrong wheel derive i'd love this car in rear wheel drive. Exterior bumpers rip appart upon lightest impact, have to get driver side mirror helper, big blind spot, suckish stereo.

Think Twice
By dtown73

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It looked great on the lot. I did my due diligence and had the car checked out prior to purchase - where they found a rear-main leak, bad CV Boot, and some other minor items. All-in-All it seemed like a great vehicle for my teenage daughter. The car was a nightmare - ELECTRICAL problems. I had read that on Edmunds - but ignored it. The ECM was replaced 3 times. My daughter was stranded 6 times over 11 months. Thank GOD i purchased an extended warranty (1yr/12,000miles) for $1,100 (the premium warranty) - which covered (ready for this) $4,652.27 in repairs. Please Think Twice before throwing good money after bad. Traded it yesterday for a 2012 Nissan Versa... never again VW.

leather, sporty look, had Audi features (key rolled down windows from outside) sun-roof.

this is supposed to be a vehicle that is affordable - it's easily $500 per trip into the dealership or a specialty shop.

Up In Flames!
By diannr

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Bought our 2002 TDI in December for our daughter.
Two weeks later we discovered it had a messed up transmission.
Counting on fuel savings over the next 5 years, we spent $3500 to have the transmission rebuilt.
There were alot of rattles in the interior but we planned to address those after recovering from the trani. expense.
Last weekend the brakes failed while parking, proceeded to smoke from the rear then caught on fire!
A total loss for us however the salvage yard is scoring a good engine.
Apparently firewalls work from both directions.
I would not recommend this car!!

Mixed Feelings
By eeyoremc

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car used from the VW dealer in Manchester NH. Started off ok. But last week had to replace the coolant system which was about $500. Now THIS week car disengaged from gear while driving (clutch not pushed in) and first mechanic (not dealer) says I need a NEW transmission? It's only got 85K on it and I have never, ever needed a clutch or transmission in an of my manual trans cars. And I drive - often. Now at the dealer but I've now been without a car for almost a week and I'm disillusioned. This is my 2nd Bug, I do love them, but if it's the transmission it was a build issue for sure. Be wary.

The feel, the speed, the smoothness. Gotta say the heated seats in NH are totally awesome. I really love the car, I'm devastated that it's in the shop. I love driving it but definitely a mechanical mfg issue if my tranny is truly toast after 85K miles.

Fix water pump issues (re-did mine 2 yrs ago); ignition coils are iffy I believe the newer ones had it rectified. Nervous on the transmission at this point, we'll see.

Broken Dreams
By ashellris

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When VW re-released the Beetle in '98, I had found my dream car.
I was 15 at the time, about to get my license and sent away to VW for an information packet that I used in a presentation for my parents in hopes of receiving one.
Needless to say; it didn't happen- Until 2005 when I purchased a used 2002 VW Beetle. I purchased the car for $15k and have since put at least $8k into it (Not including maintenance).
The check engine light is always on, and repairs are never ending and expensive.
I was able to get almost 400 mi per tank when I bought it; now I get just under 300 mi. This has nothing to do with neglect, this was my dream car.
Be prepared for expensive repairs with any VW.

Bud Vase, Outside Temperature Gauge, Deep Dashboard, Seats, Leg Room, Monsoon Sound System, Head Room, Handles Well, Surprisingly Good in Slippery Road Conditions (ie: Snow, but not too deep)

A more reliable vehicle, less expensive parts and labor, better placed oil pan (not so low to the ground)