A Nice Used Car at a good price...
By freddok2 on
2012 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I suddenly found myself in the position of needing a another car after my previously-reliable 2006 Subaru Impreza suddenly overheated on me. The Dealer where I had the Subaru taken for service (and from where I had bought it new in 2006) had put me in a white 2013 VW Passat as a loaner for a while, so when it came time to deal and to decide whether to take back my old car or buy a new or certified Pre-Owned car from the dealer, I was pleased when I took on a test drive a blue Certified pre-Owned 2012 Jetta with low mileage. The only thing I didn't like about it was the mostly-plastic dash, but that was a minor tradeoff in return. I bought it and have been happy with it ever since.
Favorite Features
Likes: the tight road feel, feel of the seats, nice cold A/C, nice sound system, overall tight construction of the car. Some have complained about the feel and sound of the 2.5 liter five-cylinder engine, but I like its pickup and even like its somewhat raucous sound. Then again, I also liked the sort of bumpy, noisy feel of the 2.5 liter flat-four boxer in my Subaru.
Suggested Improvements
Get rid of the plastic dash. It looks somewhat cheap, and how much more does some vinyl padding to match the seats cost anyway-a few dollars? Also, the automatic lights in the Passat should also be available in the Jetta.
By jstonebreaker
on 08/30/13 07:13 AM (PDT)

THE SERVICE BULLETIN VW WON'T TELL YOU ABOUT........................OR PERFORM THE SERVICE!    There is a service bulletin on the NHTS website. THEY have the power to ensure that your car is SAFE to drive.    Go to http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners "File A Complaint" about this SAFETY related/documented lose of power and no response when pressing on the accelerator. It could save someone life!!!    SERVICE BULLETIN Service Bulletin No.: 01-13-14 Component(s): ENGINE NHTSA ID Number: 10052336 All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin Details 0 Associated Documents Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc. SUMMARY: VOLKSWAGEN: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A MISFIRE AND/OR REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE. *JS    SAFETY COMPLAINTS LIKE    Date Complaint Filed: 08/16/2013 Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL Date of Incident: 05/19/2013                                                                            NHTSA ID Number: 10535696 0 Associated Documents Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0 Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc. Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 3VW2K7AJ6DM... SUMMARY: I WAS TRYING TO MERGE ONTO HIGHWAY TRAFFIC AND WHEN I PUSHED ON THE ACCELERATOR THE CAR WAS UNRESPONSIVE. IT CREATED AN UNSAFE SITUATION WHERE I HAD TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES AND LET THE TRAFFIC PASS BY, THEN PUT THE CAR IN MANUAL SHIFT SO THAT I COULD ACCELERATE ENOUGH TO MERGE WITH TRAFFIC. THE INABILITY TO CONTROL THE SPEED OF THE VEHICLE DUE TO NO RESPONSE FROM THE ENGINE HAPPENS USUALLY AROUND SPEEDS OF 40 MILES AN HOUR. I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE CAR WILL BE IN 6 GEAR AT VERY LOW SPEEDS AND FAILS TO DOWN SHIFT WHEN THE GAS IS PRESSED. THIS RESULTS IN A LOSE OF POWER AND DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO SAFELY MANEUVER THE VEHICLE IN EMERGENCY AND NON-EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.    Models affected Golf Beetle Passat Jetta and MORE