Expected Results
By Bensim on
1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)
Overall, I have to say that I love my car. I owned an 89 Jetta GLI and then a Subaru Outback before my current Jetta. The 89 Jetta had incredible problems, but it was always fun to drive. The Outback had no problem, but it wasn't fun to drive. I went back to VW because I wanted to enjoy driving again, and my Jetta has delivered. It is manual, and I would only get manual with such a great engine! But, of course, my Jetta has had its share of problems. They are the same as everyone else's: electrical, windows, O2 sensor, glove box, sunroof, etc. Perhaps because of my first Jetta's many issues, I don't seem to mind as much as others.
Favorite Features
By far the greatest feature of this car is the engine. It is fast and sounds great. The engine just keeps on pulling the car -- on a lonely and deserted road in NM I hit 125 once. Pretty stupid, I know, but I just kept on going! It is an amazing highway performer.
Suggested Improvements
All of the little fixes are annoying, and servicing a VW isn't cheap. I bought an extended warranty, and it has helped a little.