Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

One for the road
By Ray

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This was the Jetta IV. I bought it new with a sunroof, VR6, 5 speed manual, mag wheels. It was my third VW. I expected a well constructed, reliable, German automobile with fair service at the dealership. It is reliable, but something is always in need of repair. Service at a dealer is a killer... $700+ to replace an alternator. Problems: the alternator, springs keep falling out of the front seats, cup holder breaks easily, glove compartment door broke, AM radio has never worked, regulators on two front windows broke, motor on right rear window shot, both water pumps repleaced, MAF sensor replaced, O2 sensors in cat replaced, antenna cracked, headlight covers have fogged over, surge

Favorite Features

Sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

See above.

Will never by any VW again
By norma jean

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Two weeks after purchasing the car air condition went out with pieces falling onto the road. After waiting 4 months, THE DAY I got the vehicle back the starter goes out. After waiting another 5 months for the air conditioning and starter to be fixed finally got to drive my new car for more than two weeks. The cup holder is broke along with glove compartment and other plastic pieces exterior and interior, also seats will stain even if you only spill water. My personal opinion, it is one huge expensive piece of broken plastic. Cheaply made, expensive parts, too much maintenance to keep on the road. But it does get the best gas mileage for any non-hybrid car.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage..not much else

Suggested Improvements

Better quality parts for the price you pay. And seats that don't stain so easily. Not so much easily broken plastic in interior and exterior.I could have bought a luxury car for the price I paid and all the repairs I have had to do this car.

It's a Love Hate thing
By LJ

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This car was so much fun to drive, I looked forward to winding roads and long trips into the country. The later life expenses car become very costly which is why I finally traded it in. If I could have done the repairs myself I would still have the car. The timing belt every 60000 miles $600-800, brakes $1600, tires every 25000-30000 miles $500 clutch at VW $1500 and the final straw was the triple whammy of catalytic converter $1000, timing belt $800 and shocks $800. The parts that were defective VW repaired under Warranty, thank goodness. Window mechanism, rear window, first set of tires, the dealer refused to believe I went through the tires in 25000 miles..

Favorite Features

The inside of the car was like a spaceship with Blue dashboard lights and very comfortable wrap around seats. I truly enjoyed th driving experience, but not the cost of repair experience.

Suggested Improvements

The use of sturdier parts would improve the maintainabilty of the car quite a bit. the car is over engineered and can be a pain.. An example is taking out the battery and having the radio go into anti theft mode and needing to reprogram the radio to get it to work using a VW proprietary code..

Miss my Jetta
By Karin

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I had my jetta for almost 6 years and loved it overall. It was a manual transmission which made it fun to drive. The only problem with the transmission that I had was that it had difficulty going into 1st. It got great gas mileage and other than when the AC broke during a 10 hr drive in the summer, it was great on trips. I did have some mechanical issues including a $600 fix after I attempted to replace the battery and the whole computer shut down. I had electrical problems too and the cup holders and side window adjusters broke often. However, I drove it until I totalled it in March. I will say that I was only hurt minorly and feel that the car was very safe.

Favorite Features

The safety, fuel economy, and small size of the vehicle. It was zippy and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the taillights and headlights! Geez I had to replace a bulb like every month, and when it was recalled for this it didnt help the issue any.

Solid!
By VWdriver

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

After reading reviews of this model and trim level, I was a little wary about purchasing this vehicle. But all of my worries have been disproven, as this car is awesome. The only problems I have had were from the buyer passing on due maintenance, and otherwise I LOVE this car. It is fast, fun, the stick shift's smooth, the interior is fantastic, I love the sporty boxed-out styling, the sunroof and remote locks work flawlessly, and the trunk is cavernous, bigger than my old 96 accord's. 95,000 miles and still going like a tank, no problems with the drivetrain. This car is great because of the extra touches: the dialed in steering, the wolfsburg leather accents, everyhthing. This car is great!!

Favorite Features

The leather steering wheel, sporty taillights and spoiler, and manual tranny.

Suggested Improvements

Sometimes key takes some jiggling to get it to move in ignition, no problem with starter, just key insert thing. plus low end torque is a little low, but gas mileage is fantastic.