1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Disappointing VW
By Kerry on 02/15/06 15:04 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new 1999 and at first I loved it. However, I have since changed my mind. I'm not sure if it's because this car was built in Mexico and not Germany that the quality is not as good, but I have had the left rear window fixed TWICE at my expense. The electrical system is shotty at best. When I turn down the radio volume, it gets louder before it gets quieter. The interior of the car seems to falling apart. The gear shifter cover had to be replaced 3 times and the rear cup holder cover keeps popping off. As for the exterior, my biggest complaint is that the driver and passenger side door bumpers (the rubber part, so people don't ding your doors) have fallen off. My 1975 Westy is better.

This car is a...
By poor choice on 01/16/06 21:46 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The electrical system on my 1999 Volkswagen Jetta is a nightmare. Push the button down and the window goes up. The flashers went out 4 times in 5 years. I also really enjoyed the weird green oily junk that comes out of the doors in warm weather. In cold weather, ice builds up behind the doors to the point it caused a dent when I opened the door. Leaves, pine needles etc. have no problem finding their way into the trunk and door trim. Don't even think about trying to replace the bulb in the tail light, that requires a trip to the dealership.

Jetta - Descent, but Expensive
By MJ in IL on 01/01/06 17:20 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

The Volkswagen Jetta is a descent little car, it is not very powerful, but sporty enough. I have had massive A/C problems ahough and it uses and leaks oil to the tune of a quart about every month and a half until we added Valvoline Max life...helped a lot. Also, this car has crazy engineering with the circuit breaker design. It drives OK and definitely is fuel efficient. Just hope you don't have to get it worked on.

Looks Good, Works Badly
By CORNJOB on 10/05/05 17:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Amazing, all of the problems I've had with this car are echoed in this list of reviews. I bought the car three months ago and it's been returned for service five times already. The last time it wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear. I'm trading it in for something more reliable. The oxygen sensor, tranmission problems, mass air sensor replaced twice, non-working rear window defogger, broken cupholders, broken sunroof sliding cover. I'm disgusted. This thing is a money pit. It's a beautifully designed, but badly executed vehicle. When it worked, though, it was fun to drive.

Never Again
By sold_my_jetta on 08/29/05 20:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I just recently traded in my Jetta after getting sick and tired of having it break down and in the shop every month. I have had so many frustrations with this car; broken cup holders, front bumper coming off, car not shifting out of park, nasty yellow goop (that I was told was a blown head gasket), windows falling into doors, trunk motor going out, replaced oxygen sensor, broken glove box, in-dash cd player not working, radio randomly not working, sunroof breaking... need I go on. I have had this car for 3 years, had 8 recalls and only 52,000 miles (had 15,000 when I purchased). Needless to say, I got rid of it after getting way in over my head. If you own a 99 I suggest you do the same.

Poor Poor Jetta
By Jeff on 07/21/05 20:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

We have spent over $4,000 on various sensors on this car in the past 8 months. It runs rough and doesn't start 30% of the time. The driver's side heated seat never worked after 3 attempts we quit asking. The driver's window dropped. The sunroof doesn't work at times. The check engine lite is on all the time. We will NEVER purchase another VW again.

Run Away, Don't buy this car!!
By pennstater on 05/07/05 11:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I was in the shop 13 times in the first two years! Things broke on this car that I've never heard of breaking before! 2nd day engine was smoking, some type of lid flew off and was burning, alarms and door locks never worked right, locked at various random times, alarm sounded at various random times, I asked for this to be disconnected, was told cannot be done. Fuel pump went at 80,000, cup holders- we won't go there, center console lid broke, headlight on/off button stopped working, all dash lights stoppped working, front spoiler falls off frequently due to being too low, This was the worst car ever.

Not a fan
By JKling on 04/13/05 08:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This car has a few MAJOR flaws. The electrical system is junk. I have had the left rear power window go out several times. The wiring is poor. It is also expensive to have repaired. It drives well and gets reasonable gas milage. If I were to buy another (which I won't) I would get the basic version. Less things to have problems with.

Oil burner
By Steve on 03/13/05 16:41 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This car is fun to drive but I would not recomend the automatic transmission, it slips and they say it is normal. DO NOT GET THE 2.0 Liter Engine... Burns OIL BADLY (1 qt every 900 miles) and they won't fix it, Cruise Control is broken from the day I bought it. I am 6'2" and do not fit well with the leg room, so I hope you are less than 6' tall. Great Car until something goes wrong. Also the heated mirriors never worked so I can't give an opinion about them.

Great Car
By happyjetta on 02/25/05 16:29 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Minor mechanical breakdowns but they were completely covered under the warranty. Warranty even supplied a rental car when it was being fixed.