Free Transportation
By mtcan on
1990 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe
I bought this car seriously neglected for $1K & 50K miles. I doubt they changed the oil ever as it was owned and operated by an elderly woman who actually died and the nephew sold it to me. That's not a good combination for a reliable vehicle, but after investing another $700 in overdue maintenance, it has given me nearly flawless reliability for two years and 15K miles/yr. The car has had an issue with its thermostat, and it can overheat without you knowing it, so be aware that near-red is actually RED. Also, there is a carburetor adjustment screw that we had to dig-into the carb metal to get to at the back (near firewall), but after that, it runs fantastic for simple transportation.
Favorite Features
I LOVE the geeky seat belts. Very useful to keep me from forgetting or hating putting a seat belt on, and it serves as a great handle to pull the door closed after you're in too.
Suggested Improvements
That main carburetor adjustment screw is key to having a car with actual (and safe) power to accelerate in traffic. I still have to merge by braking, but it takes a professional mechanic to figure out where to literally dig-into the carb metal to adjust that carb screw at the back of the carb.