Used 1999 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Reliable Truck - But Dull to Drive
By handsomerob1

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new 15 years ago and now have 72,000 miles - and she's a garage queen. Finally replaced the original tires at 66,000 and still on the original brake pads! Shocks got squishy early on so replaced them with KYB's at 51,000. The only repeat problem is with the Idle Air Control ("IAC") valve which tends to go out on these trucks. I replaced it once and now need to replace it again. The part is about $350 at Toyota and, with a couple hours work, I can install it myself. This is a great looking truck - white with the TRD package - but like most Toyotas, it drives with all the personality of a dial tone. Just plain dull, like you might as well be driving a Camry.

Great looking truck, very reliable, predictable, does what it should. Not a trace of rust but what do you expect from a truck that spends its life inside of a garage.

Weak motor. 190 HP from a V6?? I wonder sometimes how they could design a V6 that feels almost as anemic as a 4 cyl. And the gas mileage - I drive like a granny and have always gotten just 17 mpg. Maybe 19 on the highway. Window sticker stated 19 and 23, that must have been in the days before truth was required for MPG ratings. Also, the dome light keeps burning out, I finally gave up and decided to live without one. I wanted a manual trans but they did not offer them in '99. TRD performance improvements are intriguing but the cost is just not reasonable.

1999 ToyTacomaReview by PJM
By taco1999

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma used nine years ago, and I have done all of the required maintenance. The only thing that has ever required replacing due to failure was the mass air flow sensor. It went out about a year after I bought the Tacoma. The engine still worked with the blown mass air flow sensor; it just would not accelerate smoothly. These 3.4 Liter V6 engines are great motors as far as power and reliability, but they do not get good gas mileage. Mine gets anywhere between 17-19 miles per gallon depending on where and how I am driving it. Anybody who says they are getting above 20 miles per gallon is driving down hill with their ignition off or dropping it out of an airplane.

The drivetrain is by far one of my favorite features on my Tacoma. I love the V6, and the 5-Speed manual transmission. They make this Tacoma a lot of fun rig to drive. My Tacoma definitely likes to be driven with a little bit of authority, though. When accelerating, it likes to rev up to about 3500 revolutions before it is shifted into the next gear. The Tacoma's V6 engine has plenty of power. Although, when it is towing a trailer, I can certainly feel it. It does not feel no where near as lively, spirited or sporty when it has to pull a trailer. Mine is a part-time four wheel drive, which I have not tested extensively because I can not afford to fix it if I break it.

Toyota did not put very comfortable seats in these Tacomas. Mine has the bench seat, which is very hard on my back and the passenger's back on long trips. Fortunately, it is an extra-cab so the front bench seat can moved very far back. My dad has a 4Runner of the same year with buckets in it. His buckets definitely seem more comfortable than the bench seat, but I have not been in his 4Runner on a long trip so I can not give an accurate answer on how comfortable they are over the long haul. Toyota could also have given these trucks some more gauges especially for those of us that have to use our Tacomas as trucks, and do things like tow boats, and use them to haul loads.

A Great truck to own, wish I could buy another.
By wolfnium

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck new in 1999. I ran 2 crank cases of 10w-30 Castrol regular motor oil. After that, I have used 10w-30 Castrol synthetic motor oil ever since. I change oil about every 5000 miles. I have had to replace the electronics to repair a left turn signal issue that cost about $500.00. I have had to replace the power steering pump, twice as the first one was a rebuild and under warranty. I have had to replace the battery once and also the catalytic convert (about $1000.00). I still have the original clutch and have replaced the front brakes and rotors one time. My truck now has 456,5000+ miles on it. I would drive it to across the US with no worries. It has been a great truck.

the door pockets and the center console. Intermittent wipers. I like the way the gas cap is secured with a door lock using the ignition key.

the switch for the AC is plastic and needs to be better made so it does not break.

Great truck
By jacobbert9

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Ive had my Tacoma for the last 2 years (30,000 miles). It currently has just over 182,000. It's hauled everything I've thrown in it including rocks, firewood, and cement bags. Loaded down to the bump stops and I couldnt even tell from the performance. I've towed several thousand pound trailers without problem. I put a few hundred pounds in it for snow storms and it does almost as well as any 4x4 especially with tire chains on. The 2.7 is a bit wimpy but it gets the job done. The only things I've replaced have been the radiator, catalytic converter (orginial one was stolen) and the brakes. I got rear-ended by a guy doing 25 and the bumper just got bent. Recommend to everyone, awesome truck!

Reliability,

The rear seats are extremely cramped. That is the only real downside.

RIP my dearly departed Tacoma
By janakins42

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck was the best vehicle I have ever had. She made me fall in love with trucks and Toyotas. I fell in love with her after I learned how to drive a stick. I bought her with 60k miles and put 100k on her before her unfortunate end. She saved my life after colliding with a Grand Am. I have never had to do any major repairs or anything else besides routine maintainence. She took all the abuse I gave her. She got me through a very bad winter back in 08. She was even my home for a couple of months. I miss her dearly. I cry everytime I think about her. I haven't had a decent car since...not even my 4Runner. Hold onto this car forever. This car will never let you down.

Open engine...easy to work on. Did my own tune up myself. Easy to shift. Little maintainence. Lasts forever. Doesn't have much "brains" to worry about.