1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Best money ever spent!
By william1969 on 06/29/13 17:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my 1997 Toyota Tacoma LX V6 Extra Cab in '99 with 67,000 miles on it. Today, it has 272,000 miles. I've only replaced the radiator, O2 sensor, a ball bearing joint, and the starter, as well as, the normal required maintenance such as timing belts. It is a true work horse, and a remarkable automobile for reliability and function considering the other vehicles I've witnessed. I've been offered by three different individuals on separate occasions to buy it from me. It's not going to happen.

Japanese WorkHorse
By Thai4Ever on 03/11/10 11:08 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I got the truck at 75,000 miles. It blew a head gasket at 238,000 miles. I had the engine rebuilt for $3,300 with new clutch in 2007. I have 271,000 miles on it now. Minor problem was o2 sensor, catalytic converter, and seat belt buckle. I have driven this truck in soft nc obx sand, and red Clay in Northapton county. It's hard to get stuck. I've never been stuck. It's is a classic workhorse. Awesome truck. My kids grew up in it, but now the extended cab is too small. Sorry to see her go. This a a truck you can push the limits. That means challenge it, drive it till it falls apart.

The best of the best
By Aubrey on 11/02/08 01:09 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I now have over 300,000 miles on this SR5 4x4 and other than regular maintenance, the only problem was the starter. Still shines like new, the ABS works great, all electrical is working and I know it will start every time I want to use it. I have hauled, towed and loaded this truck to the max and it has never let me down. This is my fifth Toyota product and I have yet to have any in the shop which is better on my wallet as well as peace of mind.

Reliable Tacoma
By Dave on 06/04/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 58K and now have 103,000. I have the 5sp manual tranny. I've not done anything but regular maintenance. I average 28mpg. Not real comfortable over long trips but very reliable and gets the job done. I wouldn't trade this for a new one.

Handy Inexpensive Reliability
By marko9 on 03/03/08 16:03 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

With 120,000 miles on a truck picked up used with 60,000, it has been a hard- working reliable partner on a mess of major remodel projects over several years. Most reliable vehicle I have had in 32 years, and the one I have worked the hardest (I had to replace one spring due to heavy loads).

Runs till it Rusts!
By Taco Owner on 12/18/07 08:56 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned my 1997 Taco since 1998 and now have 200,000 miles on it. very reliable 2.7 4 cylinder. Only a few problems like starter and clutch fan. Now for the bad. Frame rust! I am looking at costly frame repairs, but I am sure that the truck will last another 100,000 miles once I get this done.

Great truck
By h20bugz on 10/01/07 10:36 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the first truck I have ever owned. I drive it hard and it has made 4 cross country trips pulling a fully loaded u-haul. I am about to roll 200K and besides tires, oil and timing belts I have only had the brakes and the clutch master cylinder go out. I bought it because of the reliability Toyota is praised for and I will definitely go back for another one. Problem is I don't see me trading mine in for another couple of years.

Many, many miles... many more to go!
By Tough Tacoma on 09/17/07 16:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in 9/07 with 204000 miles on it from a neighbor who purchased it new in 1997. Exterior has lots of bumps and bruises, paint is pretty shabby. However the interior is very nice and the mechanicals are in excellent shape. I think it will last another 10 years, no problem!

Tacomas really are indestructible
By haus on 06/07/07 14:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love my Tacoma. I don't think there is any other truck that can do what this has. I have 185000 miles on mine and haven't replaced anything except for the brakes and timing belt.

Buy Toyota
By craig on 05/29/07 06:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I put 145,000 on the truck and I bought it used. I've done nothing to it but general maintenance. You can't go wrong with a Tacoma, it's my second Toyota and I will be buying a third after I put 200k on this one.